• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Versacamm trouble finding registration dot!

Tony Rome

I have been dealing with this for too long.
When I go to cut after print it takes like 4 times of not finding the registration dot to finally get it to find it.
I have tried base point on/off
Shining a light (works a decent amount of times but not enough).

Has anyone had this problem, it is so frustrating because I have toi wait for it to cancel and start all over every time it fails.
Thanks
Versacamm SP540V

Tony Rome

yes everything I print, what is weird is it seems it gets closer to finding it every time. Almost like it needs a few runs to get it.

Malkin

I set the knife directly over the spot I have marked here with the pink X, and hit basepoint. Always work a treat.

Things that you should also do:
-When doing the print run, set the basepoint inboard a little. I like to use a minimum of .5" or 1" if possible.
-Don't use the "center on media"
-Load your media straight, for both the printing and the cutting.
-Make sure the marks are clear with no imperfections (like a bubble or dirt in the lam)
Roland Cutting Basepoint.JPG

Cyw

For fear of jinxing myself, I can't remember the last time I've ever had my VC not read the marks.
I set them up, like shown above in Malkin's picture but just a little farther over. We leave a slight more wiggle room (white space).
Two things that are very important, (1) DON'T center media when setting up your file and (2) don't bother getting media size again when sending the job through to be cut.

You can even move the pinch rollers, it won't matter........as long as you don't muck around with those 2 settings.

VTG

Tony, I had a similar problem with the Roland sensor not finding the registration dot. I tried a handful of different things but to no avail. I finally arrived at a solution that works every time now. However, make sure you've checked everything else first (i.e. clean sensor, no "silvering", straight media, and do not select "center on media" ... as Malkin already pointed out).

1) After you finish your print & lam process, load the media back into the machine as straight as you can.
2) Don't worry about lining up the registration marks with the cutting strip at this point.
3) Lock down the rollers, and let the print head go back and forth to measure the media width.
4) Now press and hold the ^ arrow to "rewind" the media until the leading edge is just past the last set of vacuum holes (as far back as it goes).
5) Now lift up the rollers (lift up the lever, but make sure you hold the media in position so it doesn't slide out of the back of the machine).
6) Then lock the rollers back down (the media should NOT have moved, the leading edge should still be just past the last set of vacuum holes).
7) The printhead will go back and forth again (measuring the media width) and then your media will advance out an inch or two like normal.
8) If you look at your registration marks now, they should be almost directly on top (or maybe 1/16 inch behind) the cutting strip.
9) RIP and Print (or in this case, Cut)

Sounds crazy, but this process works for me every time.

Let us know.

Tony Rome

OK well two things, I always put the knife over the exact middle of the dot not on the edge, I had no idea it went on the edge so I will try that.
Does anyone else put it in the middle of the dot?

Also, I center the media...a lot, so I will stop that as well.
Will let you know.
THANKS!

Cyw

Between those 2 things, I'm betting that's where you've been messing up.
Dont ever use that center on media option if you're planning to do a print/lam/cut

Not sure about everyone else but we set the circle about a quarter inch to the left of and centered to, the media clamp
I really don't have any trouble at all
We leave probably about a quarter inch of space between the circle and the clamp.
You don't have to move or mess with the knife position at all

The printer reads the marks immediately, first time, every time.

I'll take a picture in the morning if you think it will help

Sign Works

Folks ... Stop saying "Do Not Use Center On Media Option". It does not effect the print/lam/cut operation, I use it most always and in over 6 years have never had any error in reading registration marks.

Tony Rome

Between those 2 things, I'm betting that's where you've been messing up.
Dont ever use that center on media option if you're planning to do a print/lam/cut

Not sure about everyone else but we set the circle about a quarter inch to the left of and centered to, the media clamp
I really don't have any trouble at all
We leave probably about a quarter inch of space between the circle and the clamp.
You don't have to move or mess with the knife position at all

The printer reads the marks immediately, first time, every time.

I'll take a picture in the morning if you think it will help

Very interesting, looking forward to pic.
Are you saying you don't even bother positioning the knife over the dot?
I want to run a test but too busy today, hopefully tomorrow.
Thanks to ALL!

Wheeler

If all the others fail you can set it up manually, Its on page 83 in my manual. Set your B123 points and send to printer, when it starts searching for cropmarks just hit cancel and enter. Starts cutting.

Sometimes I think it is more dead on than using the auto search, I wouldn't want to do anything very long though...

DizzyMarkus

Folks ... Stop saying "Do Not Use Center On Media Option". It does not effect the print/lam/cut operation
Same here, if its not full I "center on media" -- lam it and reinsert with the reggie marks aligned with the cutting strip ---I dont put the blade in the middle of the dot, edge of the dot nothing, line em up witht he cutting strip andit finds it everytime ;0)

Markus

Tony Rome

I set the knife directly over the spot I have marked here with the pink X, and hit basepoint. Always work a treat.

Things that you should also do:
-When doing the print run, set the basepoint inboard a little. I like to use a minimum of .5" or 1" if possible.
-Don't use the "center on media"
-Load your media straight, for both the printing and the cutting.
-Make sure the marks are clear with no imperfections (like a bubble or dirt in the lam)
View attachment 89039

Wow, well first time I tried this it worked, I will let you know if it was just luck but don't think so.
Thanks, and especially thanks for posting the pic.
Thanks EVERYONE who answered!

Cyw

Waiting to see photo????????????

:thankyou:

My son got hit by a car Tuesday evening........getting a photo posted isn't on the top of my priority list.
Following a medevac helicopter up the Parkway took precedence.

......just got back from the trauma center and thought I'd relax for a minute.....read my email and a few posts on a few forums.

Lovely message.
Are you some kind of jerk???????????????????????????????????????

oh look, I know how to use the question mark keystroke too! Cool Beans.
Thanks for the visual

MichaelAlmand

My son got hit by a car Tuesday evening........getting a photo posted isn't on the top of my priority list.
Following a medevac helicopter up the Parkway took precedence.

......just got back from the trauma center and thought I'd relax for a minute.....read my email and a few posts on a few forums.

Lovely message.
Are you some kind of jerk???????????????????????????????????????

oh look, I know how to use the question mark keystroke too! Cool Beans.
Thanks for the visual

My thoughts are with you... Hope everything will be okay...