• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Versaworks for Mac?

Color Envy

I have a SP-540 with Versaworks on my main computer, but I am moving that system to a different room. I have an iPad Pro that I want to attach directly to the printer to run versaworks with it so that I am not running back and forth.

I have VW on my windows machine, but I need the mac version and my disk is long since lost lol.

Anybody know how I can get ahold of the mac version?

Joe House

Sign Equipment Technician
You'll want to get a Windows 10 box to run the RIP. Much less expensive than buying a RIP that will run on an Apple computer.

Good Luck.

rjssigns

There is no Mac version of VW. Only option would be to set up a VM on a Mac. Not sure you would have that functionality on an iPad but I've never tried it. There are some very knowledgable folks here that know more about VM's. Maybe they will chime in.

Zoogee World

Domed Promotional Product Supplier
As many have said above, VW isn't Mac compatible, unless your run it on The virtual Machine inside of the Mac, however, you'd need a computer, not an ipad. The other issue that wouldn't make an ipad compatible is that the SP-540 plugs in via USB, which an ipad doesn't have (as far as I know).

WildWestDesigns

VMs may not even work on a Mac depending on if the OP has the ARM processor or Intel or if Rosetta 2.0 (or whatever they label that translation layer) to run those VM programs. If any of those aren't applicable one is looking at emulation (while there are similarities, they are not the same and those that complain about the performance hit of VMs will really not like the one with emulators).

Now, there is also CodeWeavers CrossOver (which is really just the commercial version of WINE). It's like Rosetta except it's a translation layer for Windows programs to Mac system calls. Downside to this is there is a higher risk of getting infected with Windows malware as well and not all programs are supported (or they may only support older versions of said programs), but there is a list of programs where users have rated support on the WINE project, so that should give you an idea. Programs like Flexi have been noted on that list as well (version 8.1, I think had a Gold ranking as far as support goes).

As to the iPad, I would just see if there is a way to use something like Teamviewer (or similar program) versus trying to to have it run directly on the iPad hardware. While there may be a dongle that can provide the USB functionality, what computation resources it has, may not be up to snuff.

he virtual Machine inside of the Mac, however, you'd need a computer, not an ipad. The other issue that wouldn't make an ipad compatible is that the SP-540 plugs in via USB, which an ipad doesn't have (as far as I know).
Yes, for VMs would need a like processor and other hardware bits that the guest OS would expect to have, in order to run a VM.

Now, I do believe people have used QEMU(emulator and this goes back to how emulators are different to virtualizers) to run desktop OSs on the Ipad, however, emulation has a harder performance hit compared to virtualization and I highly doubt that they were doing anything intensive with that emulation as well. Probably more about saying that it could be done versus actually being productive with it. But a desktop OS can technically be run on the iPad, just how far that gets you is something else.

netsol

There is no Mac version of VW. Only option would be to set up a VM on a Mac. Not sure you would have that functionality on an iPad but I've never tried it. There are some very knowledgable folks here that know more about VM's. Maybe they will chime in.
You WILL NOT have that run on an ipad pro

You can run parallels or whatever

Johnny Best

I read a while back they were writing Versaworks software for the Mac but never heard anything else on it.
Guess they figured out if you were smart enough to have a Mac you would not be dumb enough buy a Roland.

• Agree
Reactions: S2S

netsol

I read a while back they were writing Versaworks software for the Mac but never heard anything else on it.
Guess they figured out if you were smart enough to have a Mac you would not be dumb enough buy a Roland.
Johnny,
Mine might be a minority opinion, but i am happier with my rolands, than i am with my mac's

WildWestDesigns

The irony is, my Rolands are still working, can't say the same for my Macs. Now, I will admit, one Mac was 2 yrs older compared to my oldest Roland, so there is that. The other 2 were younger, but they did still die and that same Roland is still truckin' along.

netsol

Wild west
As for the ipad, it is barely enough processor or o/s to stand up to a flip phone

You never have enough resouces for your rip...

Does versaworks require any fancy footwork with the mouse (right click menu's [we are flexisign shop])

WildWestDesigns

Wild west
As for the ipad, it is barely enough processor or o/s to stand up to a flip phone
As I said with this:

Now, I do believe people have used QEMU(emulator and this goes back to how emulators are different to virtualizers) to run desktop OSs on the Ipad, however, emulation has a harder performance hit compared to virtualization and I highly doubt that they were doing anything intensive with that emulation as well. Probably more about saying that it could be done versus actually being productive with it. But a desktop OS can technically be run on the iPad, just how far that gets you is something else.

At 3GB of RAM (at least for the newer ones), that leaves you with 1GB of RAM if you were actually able to VM it, which one can't, only be able to do it with emulation. Emulation would have to spoof the x86 hardware as well, which would require even more resources. And that's just looking at the easiest benchmark that most people would understand, RAM usage.

I personally would move the Windows box to where the printer is going and just use Teamview (which I believe can be used on the iPad) and use that to control the printer box. Cost would be my main reason. Using VM software (unless went with VirtualBox(which isn't bad, I have used it and it's quite easy to setup)), will be a subscription fee. While there is a one off Parallels (perhaps the most well known VM software for Mac) license, it is for Home/Education usage last time I checked. Have to go subscription for business/power usage. Again last time that I checked.

I would say VMWare Workstation, but I couldn't see anything on a Mac version, just Linux and Windows.

Color Envy

Thanks for all of the replies. I wasnt looking to replace my windows box or even choose a mac over a windows box. I already have an iPad Pro (2021) and I was just looking to use it to do nothing but run the printer. In my head, it wouldve basically added a touch screen to the printer that could import the job from the networked drive and process it all from directly at the printer. The reason for simply to minimize the going back and forth from my main computer which isnt in the same room. I guess I just assumed that there was a mac version of VW, but I didnt realize at the time that the mac downloads are more like plugins to work from a windows machine. So it really isnt worth messing with TBH.

I love my windows machine, but I cant knock this iPad Pro. Its a very powerful piece of equipment. Saying that it has no more power than a flip phone, is just nonsense. It came with 8g of ram. It can run photoshop and illustrator without so much as a grunt. I have zero doubt that if there was a mac version of VW, that it would RIP artwork with no problems whatsoever. The standard iPad may not be able to, but the new iPad Pro is nothing to frown at. I purchased it simply because Adobe thought so highly of it, that they created a version of their flagship programs specifically for it and I thought it would serve as a great mobile option.

Color Envy

As many have said above, VW isn't Mac compatible, unless your run it on The virtual Machine inside of the Mac, however, you'd need a computer, not an ipad. The other issue that wouldn't make an ipad compatible is that the SP-540 plugs in via USB, which an ipad doesn't have (as far as I know).
The SP-540 is a network printer. It doesnt use usb. It can be accessed wirelessly via the network with no problem.

WildWestDesigns

Thanks for all of the replies. I wasnt looking to replace my windows box or even choose a mac over a windows box. I already have an iPad Pro (2021) and I was just looking to use it to do nothing but run the printer. In my head, it wouldve basically added a touch screen to the printer that could import the job from the networked drive and process it all from directly at the printer. The reason for simply to minimize the going back and forth from my main computer which isnt in the same room. I guess I just assumed that there was a mac version of VW, but I didnt realize at the time that the mac downloads are more like plugins to work from a windows machine. So it really isnt worth messing with TBH.
Teamviewer (or something along those lines) would probably be your best option. There would be some lag, but that would probably be your best option to be able to use your iPad for something and not have to always go back and forth.

I purchased it simply because Adobe thought so highly of it, that they created a version of their flagship programs specifically for it and I thought it would serve as a great mobile option.
Well, Apple is pretty much going all in on ARM, so Adobe was probably going to have to do something if they still wanted to be on Mac. So, if more of their mainline PC/laptop rigs are going M1 (I think there higher end rigs are still Intel for the time being), that just makes it easier to have work on the iPad as well.

netsol

Wild west

You never have enough resouces for your rip...

Does versaworks require any fancy footwork with the mouse (right click menu's [we are flexisign shop])
As I said with this:

At 3GB of RAM (at least for the newer ones), that leaves you with 1GB of RAM if you were actually able to VM it, which one can't, only be able to do it with emulation. Emulation would have to spoof the x86 hardware as well, which would require even more resources. And that's just looking at the easiest benchmark that most people would understand, RAM usage.

I personally would move the Windows box to where the printer is going and just use Teamview (which I believe can be used on the iPad) and use that to control the printer box. Cost would be my main reason. Using VM software (unless went with VirtualBox(which isn't bad, I have used it and it's quite easy to setup)), will be a subscription fee. While there is a one off Parallels (perhaps the most well known VM software for Mac) license, it is for Home/Education usage last time I checked. Have to go subscription for business/power usage. Again last time that I checked.

I would say VMWare Workstation, but I couldn't see anything on a Mac version, just Linux and Windows.
We run our vm's on an older vcenter. 3 hosts, 6 processors, 72 cores, 768 gigs ram, 48 sas drives making around 15 tb of disk space. It is a great feeling to add more ram and disk space (and processors) and be back up in 90 seconds. You can actually add resources HOT (without a restart) if running windows server [top that, you mac people]

WildWestDesigns

We run our vm's on an older vcenter. 3 hosts, 6 processors, 72 cores, 768 gigs ram, 48 sas drives making around 15 tb of disk space. It is a great feeling to add more ram and disk space (and processors) and be back up in 90 seconds. You can actually add resources HOT (without a restart) if running windows server [top that, you mac people]
That's harsh since they don't have anything in the server space anymore (to be honest, I didn't even know that they had anything in the server space to begin with, go figure that they pulled out of it).