• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

VersaWorks Metallic print of JPEG? possible

Versus

Graphics
Hi People

is it possible to save a file as JPEG and still print with metallic details?
I´m hoping its somehow possible to give VersaWorks a colorcode so i knows that "this" color should be printed metallic.
does anyone know if this is possible?

the problem is, that im working in corelDraw and have a design that i would usually save in Jpeg becaus of various transparancies, shadows and so on.

Brian27

There isn't any way to just tell versaworks to print with a specific color. I do know if you take a jpeg and turn it to grayscale, it will print in a white only mode. The same may be true for metallic but I'm not sure how VW handles metallic since I've never used it.
The entire process of using spot colors for white/clear/metallic is pretty worthless if you ask me.

petepaz

i don't use corel but can't you save as an eps or pdf. as far as i know you need a spot color with in your file with the metallic (or white) color swatch for versawork to read it and print what you want.

jfiscus

Rap Master
I'm not a Versaworks master anymore, but I think I understand the situation.
I would recommend taking your original finished file and saving out a flattened JPEG file like you said, and then placing the JPEG back into a new VW file and overlaying the spot color vector onto the JPEG in that new file and saving out as an EPS or new VW file.

Versus

Graphics
thanks for the answers guys.
what i ended up doing was jpeg´ing my vector file, except the metallic, then trimming the metallic vector and just saving it all as an eps. not really fast handling, but it works. but this metallic/white roland colors is not really the bomb. The white isent really anything we will ever use as we cant get it to cover a clear vinyl unless we overprint 3-4 times. and the metallic isent really that metallic.

Brian27

3-4 times? Are you sure the ink isn't seperating and causing it to not print full opacity? How often do you use white?

x2chris7x

It's been a while since I've used versaworks/roland printer... but if I remember correctly, there should be an option that lets you back the entire print with metallic. You just wouldn't be able to select certain parts to be metallic and others not... I could be wrong, but I'm pretty sure I've done this before... It's just been a couple years.

Ragnabrok

Also, there is a library of metallic textures inside the versaworks swatch directory. You can print it to look a little more like metallic fleck than metallic nail polish.