• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Very noob question re: stencils & blasters

Martiniguy

Hello!
Im so excited to have found this forum.
I have a couple of (hopefully simple) questions about sandblasting small items---specifically martini glasses.

>I would like to buy a small setup that would be handy for sandblasting graphics onto a martini glass (or other small items) in short runs.

>After some research, Im not sure I want to invest in a mask cutter (eventually?)...can someone please point me to some services that can create the masks in appropriate materials if I supply the graphic files?

I appreciate any help and feedback--and perhaps once I have a clue, I might be able to help someone else in the future.

I do alot of vinyl cutting for an local etching company. They want the cheapest vinyl because it seems to hold up better when blasted.
They send me the artwork and I cut what they send and charge them $2.00 a sq ft. . That seems cheap on the little things but on the big things you can make up the difference. Your best bet is to find a local guy working out of his house that wants to make some extra (CASH) .

Rick

Certified Enneadecagon Designer
Have you seen this...
http://www.rayzist.com/
I seen this at an NBM show years ago and one company I worked for had the system, and I played with it a bit.....worked great for them.

There is a film out there that you run through your printer and it does something to the film so that when its blasted it just goes away and the surrounding pieces stay, they tell me its $10.00 for an 8 1/2" x11" piece...

John L

I wouldn't sand blast martini glasses at all, it probably won't turn out right with even the finest sand or media available.

Whever I have detail work like that (I just finished one) I went to Michaels craft store and bought their etch paste (you have to ask the manager where it is, cause they don't sell it that often). Then cut the design from any vinyl you like, apply the vinyl being careful not to let a wrinkle creat a pocket where the paste will run in behind it, brush on the paste, wait 5 minutes and rinse with water. Then do the paste, 5 minutes and rinse again. Then remove the mask and rinse again. It works great.

Acurately measure the time, and experiment on the bottom of a glass maybe, too little or too long just won't work properly.

Good luck,
John

Martiniguy

Hey, thanks to everyones quick responses.
>I purchased and experimented with a chemical etching kit...etches were too shallow and "muddy"...even when being very careful. I need to do runs of 12 or 24 pieces in a reasonable amount of time.
>I definately know that what I've found (that I want to duplicate the look of) was blasted
>I think that I need some thicker stuff than the film type stuff used with chemical etching

I do appreciate the help--and additional help is also very appreciated!

John L

Maybe you got different glass, maybe different paste, maybe not the same timing, ... mine has worked great on glass ware, windows, and even tempered glass, it is tricky but I don't know how to describe it other than that. In my testing the Michaels brand worked - the AC Moore stuff did not. I could do runs of 20 without trouble.. how much money you got in it? UPS them to me.

steve b

I have been playing around with my new blast cabinet from Harbor freight. I have had great success so far! I have blasted redwood, 2lb foam, ceramic tile and a wine bottle....even blasted a piece of laminate flooring just for the hell of it. I am using intermediate vinyl as the mask, It works, But can be a bit fragile...I will try and post some pics of my experiments later ;)

Best Regards,
steveb

Martiniguy

Thanks again to everyone...but my final question (remaining from my first post).
>Can anyone suggest someone that can provide masks/stencils for blasting glass if I provide the graphic files (as appropriate)?
Again...all help is appreciated.

PS I'll give the Michaels stuff another try, but I found it to be too messy and time consuming to make the stencils...and the finished product (after 30 tries and much patience) was too muddy looking.

Hey John L. I dont have much money into the project yet (under $300 right now)...but I have no issue investing what I need to if I can put out very cleanly etched glasses in a reasonable amount of time. I do need to be able to produce these myself...I am hoping (read above) to have a number of masks produced--hoping that I could stock about 30 styles of masks with 12 of each mask. Dont want to farm out the job. Hoping to gather the info to work it through in my shop.

steve b

Send me your file and I will make you a prototype of your martini glass! I am in the market for some blast resist as well. I had tried a piece of Butter Cut (I think it was called) but my 30 degree blade had trouble cutting it, It did work though. I will say that blasting glass seems to go a lot quicker than some other substrates so I think the mask does not have to be as thick/durable as some of the stuff I have run into

Take Care,
steveb

imaSIGNr

Don't know if you saw my other post. " But I have a lot of Gerber spray mask #1 on hand. This is what you would use to blast on glass. I have a deal for you if you want to buy or trade . I have (2) full rolls of 30" x 50 yds. to offer. Or I can cut mask for you. I'd be willing to send you a sample piece with a cut design in it if you like. You're probably wanting small detail, like a commercial scripty names though I bet. That might be a problem. What do you have ? .....PM me. ...imaSIGNr

jiarby

We can laser engrave them, but the martini glass angle would take some fiddling with the rotary tool. We do champagne glasses & wine bottles all the time. Each one takes about 20 minutes.

champagne2.gif

champagne3.gif

Martiniguy

Hey, Thanks everyone!
I will PM you imaSIGNr!
I really just want some masks so I can produce my own stuff...look for a PM soon.
Thank you to everyone! Excellent board--glad I found it.