• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Vg 540 truevis question

do you mean VG?

Our VG 640 was set up as dual CMYK, and when it was working, it was an amazing printer, the issue was, it was broken more often than it was working.
Nope, the VS, you said that you were emptying the waist bottle on your VS once in 6 month, but maybe its just me - not native English speaker.

Dr. Decal

I run a VG-540. It has been my main machine for over a year now. The experience has not been great, but as stated previously, most of the bugs seem to have worked out. It was an absolute beast of a machine at first and I loved it, then it dropped 3 print heads in under a year. I think that is where the heavier ink issue was. I also was constantly having to manual clean to keep the quality up. A few months ago, I realized that one of the white cotton tray pads that are used to clean the wiper system, was missing. I hadn't changed these, so I had to have been missing one from the get-go. I ended up finding the 3rd tray pad, submerged in the vat of cleaning solution under the wiper. After correcting this, my printer has been working just fine.

I think these printers were rushed to market with several bugs, that have since been corrected. Also, a little trick I figured out, is to turn off the LED print lights when finding crop marks. I have a hard time getting the machine to detect them with those bright lights glaring on the material.

CanuckSigns

Our VS was an amazing machine, slow but it was a tank, never had an issue with in the 5 years we owned it, traded it in on the VG 640 and the nightmare begain. in the end, Roland swapped the VG 3 times for new ones since they couldn't get it to work properly, we got them to swap us to a XR-640 which was a huge step backwards from the VG in terms of quality and speed, and it also had some issues of it's own, so we are now running a Epson S80600 and so far it's amazing!

Mainframe

I talked on the phone with a guy that is running a VG 640 3 shifts a day, for 9 months now, he explained he had a couple of small ussues at first, but quickly ironed them out, he told me the machine barely sips ink, runs most nights, all night unatended most nights, and says he has run everything under the sun through it, and it handles it all like a champ.

He owns multiple machines and considers the VG his favorite.
He asures me I am getting a compitent workhorse and is eager to send me profiles, and gave me contact info for any questions i may have. My delivery got delayed until Tues. At this point I am very optomistic.

Mainframe

Update, the machine came in,
So... it is huge!, takes up a big space haha, it just fit through the door because you have to make a quick turn when entering the shop. The tech showed up at 3 with it and we got it out of the van and on the stand, wheeled in and then the next day he came back to put the ink in it and set it all up.
The machine seemed to work perfect out of the box, it is quite flashy and noisy, lots of lights, lots of fans and motors, a lot more going on in there than the vp 540 had.

That said, I ran a bunch of prints through it already, colors are awesome, it cuts like a dream and I am getting to like the take up, I am not crazy about the media holder but I will figure out a way to get it loaded smoothly.

I have a lot more to print with it yet and still learning the idiosyncrasies of it all but so far I am impressed, the tech was very thorough and is quite fond of the machine, I am hoping to not have much trouble with it but time will tell, I like having a dedicated rip computer, printed the vp out of parallels with windows on my mac, now I can design while the printer is printing with the Dell so that is nice.

Other than the fact the prints look just as crisp as cut vinyl and it is 10 times fast to print things now, i have nothing else to report.

It seems to take longer to rip in versaworks duall but might be my imagination.

But wow us this printer big, like huge!

I will post back with updates, so far so good, I am impressed and pleased. So far....

SignMeUpGraphics

Super Active Member
I've read other posts about Dual not ripping a quickly as the old version too.

Best of luck with the new machine. I hope we don't hear back with any issues from the machine and they've finally built one that works.

BVG

I've read other posts about Dual not ripping a quickly as the old version too.

Best of luck with the new machine. I hope we don't hear back with any issues from the machine and they've finally built one that works.

From memory it's because of halftones set to Error Diffusion as default, rather than Dither as with Versaworks. It's a little slower, but if you've got the time and CPU horsepower it does make a difference in output quality.

DJr

From memory it's because of halftones set to Error Diffusion as default, rather than Dither as with Versaworks. It's a little slower, but if you've got the time and CPU horsepower it does make a difference in output quality.

Yes set to dither it will rip much faster

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mainframe

Thanks for the info, gonna try dither, don't like waiting, the Dell is an i3 so not a screamer, just should rip a little faster in my opinion.

HomeStadiumsScott

Thanks for the info, gonna try dither, don't like waiting, the Dell is an i3 so not a screamer, just should rip a little faster in my opinion.
Mainframe,
I'm new here and am on the verge of pulling the trigger on a VG 540 until I started reading all of these threads about the problems they've been having! Now that you've had it for a few months, have you had any issues with it??? I'd love to read your review of the machine to see if they truly have worked out all of the bugs or if they're just trying to push product.

Mainframe

So far my Truevis is awesome! It prints fast, cuts dead accurate, and hasn't given me a bit of trouble, to me it is just a reliable Roland, what I have become used to. I really like versaworks and it prints many of the old files I have from my VP with almost spooky matching colors.
This thing prints SOLID colors, you cannot tell the difference between cut vinyl and the solid color output, this translates to a lot of choices when it comes to truck and van lettering, the cutting after lamination is really spot on and easy to weed.

So far I love this machine and just expect it to churn out prints, banners, wall murals, small and big decals, this thing brings it and doesn't give me any trouble.

It is different than my VP to run and it took me some time to get used to it.

I think they have it figured out.

I highly recommend it.

Solventparts

Hi guys

ANyone have a service manual for True VIS series roland printer. Our VG640 giving us Error Code 0400 [0010]. Just want to know what this error codes are. Thanks in advance

Joe House

Hi guys

ANyone have a service manual for True VIS series roland printer. Our VG640 giving us Error Code 0400 [0010]. Just want to know what this error codes are. Thanks in advance
0400 error means that there is a problem with the damper emptying within the expected time while cleaning. Most often it's due to dirty cap tops or nozzle plate.
Clean both very well with swabs and fluid. The 0010 indicates that the problem is with head 3, left channel.
If you haven't replaced the cap tops in the last 6 months, it's probably time to do so.
Finally, the true vis inks dry rapidly. Weekly cleaning is a minimum. Do it more if you notice buildup when you clean.
Good luck
Joe

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Mainframe

On my TrueVis I noticed when it's time to clean, there is not much ink on the heads but a lot of ink on the cap tops, before I clean my machine, I bend the swab at the base of the tip at a 90 degree angle so I can clean the back of the heads and cap tops.

I think the swabs should be made that way, some brands I have to heat with a hair dryer for a second or they snap in my fingers, some bend easily.

I take a little extra few seconds to clean the cap tops in back and the 2 that have darker ink, if I continue to clean I can see the ink coming off. A drop of cleaning fluid in each top edge can help too.

Solventparts

0400 error means that there is a problem with the damper emptying within the expected time while cleaning. Most often it's due to dirty cap tops or nozzle plate.
Clean both very well with swabs and fluid. The 0010 indicates that the problem is with head 3, left channel.
If you haven't replaced the cap tops in the last 6 months, it's probably time to do so.
Finally, the true vis inks dry rapidly. Weekly cleaning is a minimum. Do it more if you notice buildup when you clean.
Good luck
Joe

Thanks so much Joe, we had a very bad head strike and after that its keep coming up with Error Code 0400[0010], its been serviced recently and we clean the printer pretty regularly. Appreciate your response and would you mind sharing the service notes, which would be handy to know the details of error codes for our printer. can email to info@solventparts.com.au

Joe House

Thanks so much Joe, we had a very bad head strike and after that its keep coming up with Error Code 0400[0010], its been serviced recently and we clean the printer pretty regularly. Appreciate your response and would you mind sharing the service notes, which would be handy to know the details of error codes for our printer. can email to info@solventparts.com.au
I'm sorry, but I can't hand out that info. But I'll be happy to help where I can.
And yes, a head strike can cause that too.
I'm glad you got it fixed.

Hollywoodsigns

Designer, printer
I have had my VS for about a year and a half. Most of the time I wished it was out in the street. Most of the problems have since been resolved. Yes the prints are beautiful, however the machine is OK at best, and that is after the problems have been resolved.