• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Video card questions

SignBurst PCs

The RAID question is a complex one and Choucove has some great insight (as usual).

To answer the question "What is RAID?": Redundant Array of Independent Drives. That sounds more complicated than it is. It is simply a way to combine multiple hard drives into a single "array" in order to increase performance or achieve redundancy. We use RAID to go faster than if we used a single drive or create "copies" of our files to protect us against a single drive failing. There are many different types of RAID and they achieve speed, redundancy, or both.

While Choucove prefers a single SSD over a RAID configuration, I differ in opinion slightly. In my experience, with our graphic workstations, there are significant advantages of a RAID 0 (zero) configurations with very slight or minimal disadvantages.

Let's start with the disadvantage first:

RAID 0 (zero) is utilized for increased performance, not redundancy. In RAID 0, we combine two (or more) drives together to create a single array. An array, in practice, is used the same as a drive. For example, we can use it to create a C:/ drive and install Windows, Photoshop, Flexi, etc. The disadvantage is that if either of the two drives fail, we lose all the information on both drive. There is no duplication of files or redundancy there. Now, this sounds like a potential nightmare, but in my experience, with modern, RAID purposed drives and RAID controllers, this is a very minimal issue. In even simpler terms, if you were using a single drive and one drive failed, you would lose all of your data too.

Some of the advantages are:

1. Cost. Until the price of SSDs comes down, the cost per GB of capacity is extremely expensive compared to traditional hard drives.

2. Capacity. This goes along with cost. The cost of higher capacity SSDs is still very expensive. While there may be an argument to be made about using an SSD for a boot drive (see more in #3), the cost of a large SSD “scratch disk” would be considerable. We are finding that many of our customers are using several hundred GBs of "scratch" space in Photoshop. That could really break the bank if you were using SSDs.

3. Predictability. Traditional hard drives are a known quantity. What I mean is that they are predictable and stable. The drivers are also stable and proven. SSDs, while becoming more widespread, are still a little unpredictable and nowhere near as stable or constant as a traditional, platter hard drive. They can do odd things and can require more troubleshooting and maintenance than traditional drives. The performance of some SSDs can degrade over time as well, especially is TRIM utilities are not supported. This may not be a big deal for a techy, but could lead to be a headache for the average user. Heck, I am a pretty tech savvy individual and SSDs have given me a headache on more than one occasion. As time goes by, we may very well see more stability and predictability in SSDs, but for now, I am not convinced that they are the way to go.

As far as video cards go, I believe that Choucove is right on track. For most applications, integrated video chipsets are more than enough and provide high resolutions and vivid colors. But in the world of graphic design, Photoshop, and huge files, a dedicated video card is a must. In addition, we have found that not all cards are created equal in applications that can utilize the GPU (video card), such as Photoshop CS4 and CS5. It can be really frustrating building an awesome design system only to find that the latest and greatest video card (or drivers) is wreaking havoc in your design software. I know this from first-hand experience. As far as “higher end” cards go, you probably aren’t missing anything. Those really expensive cards generally are the latest and greatest and have benefits to extreme gamers or 3D graphical designers. That tech will quickly trickle down to the mainstream cards, but you still probably won’t need it.

Last edited:

choucove

Casey is right on with the post above, thank you for that input!

Just as he mentioned, the pros and cons as well as the argument whether to use RAID is complex and really just based on the specifics of your situation whether or not it is necessary or even recommended.

In my previous system the reason why I ultimately chose to go with single drives instead of RAID0 was because the motherboard's RAID controller was occasionally losing connection with the hard drive which would crash the system and, about half the time, force me to reinstall the entire operating system.

I just built a new computer workstation yesterday, actually, based on the new P67 chipset and the Core i7-2600K processor. The Intel RAID controller on this system is more powerful and more stable, meaning that I can run a RAID 0 configuration again on this motherboard probably without any of the issues I had before.

Just for tests, last night I installed Windows 7 on this computer on a single OCZ Vertex and ran the Windows Experience Index benchmark to see the score of the system. The primary hard drive scored a 6.2 out of 7.9 with just the single drive. I then set up both of my OCZ Vertex drives in a RAID 0 configuration, installed Windows 7 again, and ran the Index benchmark again, this time resulting in a 7.8 out of 7.9 score. This is a pretty decent increase in performance. I took this one step further and also ran HDTune prior to RAID 0 and again after creating the RAID. The first run scored an average of just shy of 200MB throughput while after creating the RAID 0 array the score now jumped up to 340MB throughput. Not quite double the performance, but still very impressive for a now older generation of SSD drives.

But again, the issues that Casey points out about SSDs are very true. They are a new and complex technology, and just like anything revolutionary it takes some time to get a proven track record and to overcome some of the initial issues such as wear leveling (the slowing down of a SSD over time due to limited number of possible reads and writes to the disk) and prohibitive cost. As someone that works with computers and technology for a living, I have to have exposure to this equipment so I can learn and make better informed decisions for myself and help inform customers for their decisions. I'd rather spend $$$ and find something doesn't work properly than have to figure it out when a customer spends $$$ and find out it doesn't work properly for them.

SSD technology really is at a place where it remains a double edge sword. Sure, there's a great world of performance possible while using the drive, but it's kind of "Enter at your own risk" territory. It takes a little more know-how to set up your operating system to utilize a SSD to the most efficient and prolong the life of your drive. They can be more complicated to upkeep and plan around.

WildWestDesigns

I heard that about SSDs. My dad has two of them on his computer and if some of y'all think I went overboard with mine, his computer is actually designed to be a server and still do intensive gaming(which he doesn't do), he is just a power nazi.

He hasn't had any problems with his SSDs yet, but time will tell. He is loving the performance aspects of it all though.