• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Vinyl as paint mask?

We are doing a wall 55" or so high by 120 Ft long.. The customer would like the lettering painted on, it is an outdoor wall for a school the lettering stretches most of the 120 ft.
What material would you guys use for a paint mask? And how would you go about doing it..
any ideas/suggestions would be appreciated.
Thanks!

Billct2

Have to see the design, but if paint mask is appropriate I would use paint mask vinyl, not lettering vinyl. At that size painting with brushes and rollers may be more appropriate

anotherdog

At that scale why not try to hand paint like a mural?
Your only issue then is to draw the lines.
That is a lot of vinyl to throw away.

MikePro

pask mask if you realy want to go that route.

sell your client on vinyl that conforms to concrete walls... would cost nearly the same to simply do the lettering in vinyl as it would for you to cut/apply/peel mask and he can pocket the savings on the paint/labor.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Pounce pattern.

Prep the wall properly, pounce it on, cut in the edges with a fitch and roller the insides.

Use 1-Shot lettering or bulletin. Either or will work.

However, do it soon. You're quickly running out of daylight hours which will add time and the paint won't dry as nice if you put it on in the late afternoon hours and it gets cold and warms up the next day.

Billct2

Most of the "concrete" wall vinyl I've read about has a limited durability (1 year?).But that may just be for the print. If the wall is fairly smooth I've used cast and gone over it with a "pounder"(my homemade version of 3Ms appilcation tool) and heat gun. But paint is often the best solution.

Jillbeans

If you can't handletter, sub it out to a reputable sign painter.
Otherwise use a pounce pattern, much more reliable, less expensive, and less waste than trying to p!ss around with paint mask.
Love....Jill

Mosh

Don't waste your time. Hand letter it with a ponce pattern, or get someone
who know how to make signs do it for you.

TimberSign

We did a job similar, and used paint mask. Worked pretty well just had to ensure the lettering edges were sealed well so the paint didn't drip down. Once we removed the paint mask we were easily able to touch up the letters.
We used a projector for the maple leaf but was difficult to get in the right place so had to make sure it didn't move once it was where we needed it.
Included a few pictures for you to check out.

Attachments

• 0610001048.jpg
    0610001048.jpg
    51.6 KB · Views: 86
  • Arena Paint Mask.jpg
    Arena Paint Mask.jpg
    46.6 KB · Views: 83

turbo

I would use a projector or freehand draw with chalk cut in the edges and roll your way home to a very profitable job.