• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Vinyl coming off wall

First, we only used "matched" vinyl & laminate (same manufacturer for both). Second, I won't apply graphics unless Gardz (Zinsser), a clear sealer, is applied first. It can change the sheen a little, so just applying it to the area to be lettered may not work. We been burned a few times, so we insist on it. We even require it for wall wraps. We had a situation at our airport where they said they had applied it. Vinyl stuck fine, but when it came time to take it off the vinyl stuck TOO well. We took off the top layer of paper, exposing the gypsum. They mistakenly thought we would pay for the repair.

ddarlak

Go Bills!
any cast without lamination will work, the key is to use thin material, calendared just wants to regain its original form so it pulls away from the valleys

if there was a VOC problem you probably wouldn't have been able to give us those pics

Sandman

The issue is not only low VOC but they're putting silicone in paint

Andy D may be on the right track. I made a sign for a paint company where they supplied the panel. They wanted it painted with their paint. I could not get the vinyl to stick. I went back to them and sure enough there was silicone in the paint. I had to scuff the hell out of the panel and repaint it with lettering enamels.

Jean Shimp

If you are going to repaint, why not just get the same color of the wall mixed up in an exterior grade paint, semi gloss? We stick vinyl on exterior signs all the time without issue.

klingsdesigns

I just went and removed old lettering. Put up some strips of 180cv3 ij175 avery 1105 and arlon slx. Put 4 on with heat and 4 without. Going to go look at it when we close today.

petepaz

just need to use the correct material. we would use arlon pdf8000 has a more aggressive adhesive for something like this wall but there are others. fellers has a whole page in their catalog for rough textured walls

MikePro

+1 LOVE arlon dpf8000. it even sticks to HDPE.
downside, however, is that it doesn't conform. you may want to consider something for "brick wall wrapping", like the Arlon DPF6700. super sticky & conforms.

p.s. i'm a huge fan of throwing cast overlam to improve calendared vinyl, similiar to the OP, but it doesn't matter when you're trying to apply to texture...especially on hard to stick finishes. texture demands thinner cast vinyl, which allows better conformability & longevity.

MelloImagingTechnologies

Many years in the Production Business
I helped a good friend of mine run a 12000 square foot job for a new gym being built. Loaned him my demo OkiData printer and he ran it on Oracal 3641 with matte laminate.
He has been doing work like this for years so he made sure it was painted with gloss paint first and he puts a strip of high tac double sided tape along the top of the wall.
You can see a large portion of the job here-

TimToad

I helped a good friend of mine run a 12000 square foot job for a new gym being built. Loaned him my demo OkiData printer and he ran it on Oracal 3641 with matte laminate.
He has been doing work like this for years so he made sure it was painted with gloss paint first and he puts a strip of high tac double sided tape along the top of the wall.
You can see a large portion of the job here-

Wow! How much is a membership every month to pay for all that?

Johnny Best

When you get to the age to qualify for Medicare, the gym membership is free. One of the good things about getting old.
I go every day to LA Fitness.

unclebun

I've never used the DPF8200. I'd use the 8000 because we stock it and use it regularly for a specific application anyway. Arlon advertises that the 8200 is more conformable.

signman315

Signmaker
Orafol 3105ht w/ 210 overlaminate will stick to low VOC/textured and hard to stick walls...simple, affordable, tried and true! I literally sell this stuff rolls and rolls on end and it gets installed on painted walls all over the country and overalls not a single failure in two years. Probably close to hundred printed rolls in that two years without any failures. Down side is that if/when it needs to come off it’s taking paint/wall with it haha!