• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Vinyl Express Q54 and ARMS!!!!!!

altereddezignz

OK so got the printer up and running good but now having all kinds of issues with the arms registration on my plotter.
It is always giving the a out of destination area or scan fail. There has been a couple times that when it will kinda find the first marks then not even be close to the other 3 marks but it will still cut and be way off.

Reg type 2 - reg mark 1"x1" and it is .02 thick. Manual say it can be from .3-1mm or .011-.39".
I have about 4 inches or more in front of the marks and the same behind the marks. I even printed a test page with the reg marks way of the edge of the material. The rollers are not close to the reg marks and it does not matter where i place the cut blade inside the reg marks to start.

Attachments

• ScreenHunter_03 Aug. 27 05.45.jpg
    ScreenHunter_03 Aug. 27 05.45.jpg
    34.4 KB · Views: 455
  • ScreenHunter_04 Aug. 27 05.45.jpg
    ScreenHunter_04 Aug. 27 05.45.jpg
    13.1 KB · Views: 362

altereddezignz

Here is an image of where i started the reg point at and a video. As you can see it doesnt even try to see the 3rd or 4th or even get close. Like when it is looking for it it looks to a smaller area then the one before it.

[video=youtube;pPK4ma2jtwk]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pPK4ma2jtwk[/video]

Attachments

• IMG_4810.jpg
    IMG_4810.jpg
    29.3 KB · Views: 310
Last edited by a moderator:

amw

Longtime Members
Here is an image of where i started the reg point at and a video. As you can see it doesnt even try to see the 3rd or 4th or even get close. Like when it is looking for it it looks to a smaller area then the one before it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pPK4ma2jtwk

Try putting the sensor on the outside of the first mark. It should move around and find the mark and continue from there. thats where we set it and it always cuts perfect. (We have the graphtec fc8000, I think they are basicly the same though)
Hopefully you get it figured out!

altereddezignz

Tried being on the outside just a bit and it goes to each of the marks but about an inch away and then goes back home and gives the rror in the image. It doesnt even move around much i mean maybe like a little over a 1/4 inch or so looking for the reg mark.

Attachments

• ScreenHunter_05 Aug. 27 07.13.jpg
    ScreenHunter_05 Aug. 27 07.13.jpg
    16.1 KB · Views: 333

altereddezignz

Well after taking the head apart and doing a complete reset on the machine and then doing a complete calibration i think we are good to go now. First print and test print all cut out really good..!!!!!!!!

thewvsignguy

We have the same set up and use the smaller type 1 reg marks. Knock on wood only problem we have had was printing the trying to cut chrome, it does not work to well.....

rdm01

We used to have similar issues. It was really bad when working with laminated vinyl, reflective vinyl, or any other tough to read media. Ultimately I set the sensor value lower and haven't had a problem since (6+ months). After fighting it for about a year I was amazed the one setting we changed had such a large impact.

altereddezignz

Are you talking about the sensor sensitivity? I am curious here. We have it working good but this has been on non laminated oracal 3165 vinyl gloss..

altereddezignz

We used to have similar issues. It was really bad when working with laminated vinyl, reflective vinyl, or any other tough to read media. Ultimately I set the sensor value lower and haven't had a problem since (6+ months). After fighting it for about a year I was amazed the one setting we changed had such a large impact.

tried cutting some laminated material to day and kept getting reg error like it cant find it? You said you lowered the values? the x and y values? can you tell me what yours is set to. Mine was at 60 and 70 i think. This is on the arms menu correct that your talking about?

rdm01

That's the one. I think ours were at 70 and 90 or something. Currently were at 50/50 and it works great. No registration issues, no failed plots for some time now.

altereddezignz

That's the one. I think ours were at 70 and 90 or something. Currently were at 50/50 and it works great. No registration issues, no failed plots for some time now.

Thank you for the info. I'll try that n the morning. We had no issues with non laminated material. Again thank you for the numbers. Any advice on getting it to track straight on long runs lol. I have a smaller cheaper plotter at home and the rollers are all on independent levers so it is easier to get things to track straight. Kinda whish this one was that way.

SlightlyChilled

The light in the room can also cause a problem. I took a business card and used it as a little cover on the head. that helped a lot. The glare would mess up the eye.

Well after taking the head apart and doing a complete reset on the machine and then doing a complete calibration i think we are good to go now. First print and test print all cut out really good..!!!!!!!!
All you need is a complete reset. These get bogged down with information in the buffer sometimes and it throws the machine off. A solid reset will get you back on track almost everytime.

Thank you for the info. I'll try that n the morning. We had no issues with non laminated material. Again thank you for the numbers. Any advice on getting it to track straight on long runs lol. I have a smaller cheaper plotter at home and the rollers are all on independent levers so it is easier to get things to track straight. Kinda whish this one was that way.

For all runs. When you go to align your media. Put your rollers appros .5" outside the reg marks on either side. Then line up the bottom line of your reg marks with the axle for the wheel of the pinch rollers. If you do this on either side you will effectively square the registration marks to the plotter. Which will give you the best possible tracking on longer runs. I however wouldn't recommend doing registrations longer then 8feet or so. After that no matter how straight you are it's going to start to stray. Also make sure your pinch rollers are at the same pressure.

altereddezignz

For all runs. When you go to align your media. Put your rollers appros .5" outside the reg marks on either side. Then line up the bottom line of your reg marks with the axle for the wheel of the pinch rollers. If you do this on either side you will effectively square the registration marks to the plotter. Which will give you the best possible tracking on longer runs. I however wouldn't recommend doing registrations longer then 8feet or so. After that no matter how straight you are it's going to start to stray. Also make sure your pinch rollers are at the same pressure.

Keeping registration below 8 ft is hard when most partial wraps are around 12 ft or so. On all my sticker stuff normally ill break it around 6 ft or so just to be sure. Ill try that aligning point as soon as some of the stuff i printed today is ready to be laminated and try again.... This is a good idea tho...

altereddezignz

Ya I know still added the card.

I understand I thought maybe you had a different plotter but was trying to help. Thanks. Would you happen to have a picture of where the card is mounted? Looking at mine not sure how to block any more lights for reflection. Thanks everyone for the help I should know more today.