• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

vinyl failure on glass - second time

Marlene

I'm assuming he got this figured out since the OP was from 2009.

2009? what the heck? must be Jim Hill didn't notice the original date. soooo, how did this work out if you can remember that far back?

signmeup

I still don't know what caused the problem. The vinyl would slide down the window on days that it snowed and then went above freezing. I witnessed this first hand so it wasn't the customer seeing things. I cleaned that glass with every solvent I had in the shop. I even took a power buffer and had at the window with Bon Ami to no avail. I used different brands of vinyl too, to see if I got a bad batch. (BTW, the rest or the van is lettered with the same vinyl so it's definitly a window issue.)

Whatever it is beats me. She still has the van and I just cut a few letters for her that slid off during the last thaw. This only happens to the one side window... the back window is fine.

Border

Gotta be something with the glass. I'm having the same problem on one of 2 trucks I originally lettered on the same day and prepped both the same as I always did. The back window on the Tahoe started peeling soon so I went back out and really cleaned it well with several different steps. It's peeled again and the other truck is just fine. Used 3M cast vinyl.
This is the only glass install I've ever had a failure on, that I know of, and it just doesn't want to stay stuck!

BobM

Wash two times with Rapid Prep and then once with Rapid Tac II. Did one outside last week at 19 degrees out. I only use cheapest brand of paper towels. New paper towels for each of the three washes. The printed paper towels can leave an ink film.

Sticky Signs

It's not rain-ex. I actually use rain-ex for window graphics in the film biz. You know, put graphics on a rental vehicle that will be used for a few days and than stripped. Vinyl sticks pretty good to rainex but the rainex makes it way easier to remove.
Gino may be onto something with the car wash.
We use a product called Pro-solve. It's a de-waxer/de-greaser.

signmeup

You have to be careful the new formulation of Bon Ami has silicon in it. If you buy some buy the original formula.
Actually I used Comet now that I think about it... it was year ago. I also used automotive paint rubbing compound.

Everyone likes to help and I appreciate it but this is an issue with a single pane of glass on a single vehicle. All the lettering on all the other windows on this van are fine from the very first application. It only happens to this pane of glass if it snows and then the temp. rises slightly above freezing and the sun hits it. It stays perfect until these conditions (and only these conditions) are met.

To sum up I:

1. Cleaned with every solvent I could find.
  2. Cleaned with Comet. (a chlorinated abrasive cleanser)
  3. Cleaned with auto rubbing compound and a power buffer then de-waxed just in case.
  4. Burned a goat.
  5. Tried several different brands of vinyl.
  6. Gave up.

Last edited:

wes70

I'll tell ya... that Chinese made glass! :noway:

Actually, I lettered a full size Dodge window van and had the same problem on one window, the rear passenger side. Letters were sliding down off the window and sticking to the paint. Anyways, I removed all lettering off all the windows and applied new to the body. First and only time this ever happened!

Travis Stanley

Sounds like the residules of the goats fur stuck to the glass. You should always rinse, then repeat prior to burning the goat. The goats fur has oils that will react with the mayonise compound in Rain-X.

btropical.com

We had an suburu brat with armorall on it for pinstriping and we alcoholed ,,, it was not happening we then used a windex product >>>> it degreased /de siliconized it. Don't give up just use some different product sometimes .

Gino

Premium Subscriber
You know, here's another possibility. Lettering rear windows on either side of a vehicle in cold months on a second Tuesday of the month sometimes can result in letter peelage. It's commonly known as Second Tuesday Cold Rear Window Lettering Peelage Syndrome. If you want more information on this...... check out 'A V E R Y ' s website on the many excuses of application failure.

:thankyou:

signmeup

I'll tell ya... that Chinese made glass! :noway:

Actually, I lettered a full size Dodge window van and had the same problem on one window, the rear passenger side. Letters were sliding down off the window and sticking to the paint. Anyways, I removed all lettering off all the windows and applied new to the body. First and only time this ever happened!
Wes... If you're not even going to try to help.... It was the drivers side rear glass I had trouble with! Honestly! Passenger side is a totally different situation. Pay attention man.

signmeup

Sounds like the residules of the goats fur stuck to the glass. You should always rinse, then repeat prior to burning the goat. The goats fur has oils that will react with the mayonise compound in Rain-X.
It was a Mexican hairless goat and we held the mayo. :Big Laugh

signmeup

Come by at night with a pellet gun and take that window out, then letter the new one they get.
Best idea yet! And.... I have a .22 cal pellet gun.

I was gonna burn the van since the goat thing was a wash and I still had some matches left but this is much less likely to get me locked up.