• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

vinyl failure on glass - second time

signmeup

Here are a couple of pictures of some letters lifting off of glass. The vehicle is a 2000 Dodge Caravan. I have replaced this lettering once already. It's been on there for less than six months. The rest of the job is fine....it's just this side of the van that won't stick. The customer says the letters were fine when she parked it and when she got up the next day the letters just fell off. The back of the vinyl is still clean and sticky. There is no evidence that the edges came up and anything got under them. It's like the glass just repelled them.

As mentioned this is the second application that has failed. This time I cleaned the glass with Comet and acetone, then window cleaner and finished with rapid tac. Any ideas as to what the heck the trouble is? I would blame the vinyl if the rest of the job was failing too but it's fine.

Attachments

• Bailey1.jpg
    Bailey1.jpg
    51 KB · Views: 79
  • Bailey2.jpg
    Bailey2.jpg
    37.4 KB · Views: 80

Techman

Comet and acetone, then window cleaner and finished with rapid tac. Any ideas as to what the heck the trouble is? I would blame the vinyl if the rest of the job was failing too but it's fine.

Those products will never remove the rainx from the poors of the glass. It has to be dissolved then removed.

Mosh

Rapid tac on windows is the first thing that comes to me. Rapid tac and windows don't mix. Never have had any problems with rainx, besides he said only the side windows, I assume the front and back windows are fine?

Mike Paul

Super Active Member
Glass can be real funny sometimes.
Cold install? Cast or Cal?

Window cleaner and Rapid tac sounds like your problem.

S

scarface

I've used Rapid Tac 2 on windows with no issues at all.

signage

I would try cleaning with Bonami, I think that it is a rain-x issue, ask the customer if they ever used it! The only thing I have found that stands a chance of removing it is Bonami! A test is to use just water and see if it beads up!

signmeup

I have used rapid tac to clean every install i've ever done. This is the only one I can remember giving me trouble and it's only the one side. The lettering was installed dry.

Comet is the same type of product as bon ami....an abrasive scouring powder for sinks and such.

What can I use to remove Rainex?

signmeup

Actually glass was an issue to get vinyl to stick to when I installed vinyl wet. But it always stayed put once it finally stuck. I now only install dry unless it's a layered job.

Techman

something like Rapid Prep. That's what i use and it has never failed me.

Denatured Alcohol wipe
If that was a great degreaser there wouldn't be products such as 3M degreasers and Rapid Prep etc...

TheSnowman

I had the same thing once. When it rained or got moisture outside the car, you could take your fingers and move the letters around. I just concluded that it had rainx put on it once...and just scrubbed the CRAP out of it with denatured alcohol. It's been on a couple years now, and no problems.

WhiskeyDreamer

Professional Snow Ninja
Denatured Alcohol wipe.

i second this....i always use denatured alcohol and have never had an issue...

i've used it on a vehicle that my customer clearly stated they had rainx on the window....scrubbed it real good until there were no streaks, then did a nice soft wipe...never had an install fail

signmeup

I just Wikiied denatured alchohol. It is ethanol or "drinking alchohol" with something added to make it toxic to humans, usually methanol. So you figure Vodka will fix my problem?

GK

When I was in HS doing airbrush work for a custom paint shop we always used this combo to remove rain-x from glass if they they were doing decals as well or to remove the anti-fog on the inside if they were doing tint was this combo:

Glass polish then scrub with Bon-Ami then wiped with Stoner Invisible Glass (its non-ammonia based)

This always did the trick if there were any issues. A lot of times customers do crazy with the Rain-X on the outside and then Anti-fog Armor All the hell out of the interior and it makes it a nightmare for tint/decal work. Hope this works for you.

CheapVehicleWrap

First thing I though was rain x. But only on 1 side window? Doubt it. Rain x and fog x for me is usually removed naturally. Especially fog x, like when I go to drive my bike and haven't applied it in a month or so.