• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Vinyl for brick

james2

Does anyone have any experience with the type of vinyl that can be mounted to a brick wall? Does the surface need to be prepped in any way? Is it hard to install? Some of the material that I have seen in Fellers seems to only have a 6 month life. I am looking for something that will last a few years. The customer does not want to go with a banner.

thx:bushmill:

CES020

I just finished a job doing it. No cleaning (unless it's got dirt on it). Maybe run a brush over it to get off any loose stuff. We broke down and bought the 3M tools to do the job. The roller was about $120 for one roller, and that roller doesn't really go down in all the mortar lines that great. You'll need another $100 roller for that :)

We used the MacTac product. It looks great. Looks just like paint. Everyone that sees it swears it was painted on. Insignia hooked us up with it, give him a shout.

It's not made for long term outdoor use. We've had a sample baking on our loading dock for about 6 months now and it looks like brand new and it's shown no signs of peeling off.

Circleville Signs

Here's the thing with the vinyl being described - if you've never used it before, you better have someone on hand who has. Stuff takes a SERIOUS amount of heat, and it's not the easiest stuff to apply either.

If you need something that is going to last a few years, you can't beat paint.

Letterbox Mike

We used the MacTac product. It looks great. Looks just like paint. Everyone that sees it swears it was painted on. Insignia hooked us up with it, give him a shout.

Thanks! (-:

I will say we've been using the 3M product for about 2 years now and the Mactac for about a year and I feel like the 3M holds up a little better having seen them both out in the real world for a while now.

They adhere differently, the MacTac just has an aggressive adhesive, the 3M actually hardens to the shape/texture of the surface it's being applied to and that helps hold it in place. It's looking like over time on some rougher textures (stucco and rough brick in particularly) the 3M is staying stuck longer because it's formed to the texture where the MacTac's adhesive is losing it's grip. Nothing extreme, but you can see the difference. We have a job that was done about 20 months ago on stucco, outdoors, that looks like new. We had to add some pieces to it about 7 month sago and we used MacTac to see how they'd hold up and the MacTac is letting go a bit now. Which is really to be expected, it's only rated for 6-12 months outside and stucco is a pretty extreme texture. Surprisingly the 3M is holding up much better than expected as it's only rated for up to 6 months outdoors.

They're both good products, just make sure your customer knows they're not super-long-term products, especially outside.