• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Vinyl on Sherwin Williams painted wall

Jennifer Boyd

We recently printed and installed a large graphics branding project in a neighboring state. We didn't have control over wall prep, painters, type of paint etc.
The job was printed on Arlon 8200X and we were told the painting was 3 weeks cured. We cleaned the walls twice with alcohol/water. They were highly textured but
we squeegeed, rolled and heat set and it would hold temporarily but apparently all the graphics are doing this. I was told from another company that because of supply chain
issues Sherwin Williams changed their formulas, causing issues for a lot of sign companies. It was very shiny paint. Anyone else experience this?
yellow vinyl fail.jpg

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Not really. Regardless of this installation being next door or 1,000 miles away, was the paint tested with the kinda vinyl you intended to use ??

All of the paint companies changed their formulas(s) 2 decades ago and when you say very shiny, it kinda tells me, it's a paint with all the dirt and grease inhibitors in it. Nothing is meant to stick to it. It's easy clean up and for interior use only. I think you're going to hafta either replace it or have your walls completely painted and not vinyled.

DPkleonard

We recently printed and installed a large graphics branding project in a neighboring state. We didn't have control over wall prep, painters, type of paint etc.
The job was printed on Arlon 8200X and we were told the painting was 3 weeks cured. We cleaned the walls twice with alcohol/water. They were highly textured but
we squeegeed, rolled and heat set and it would hold temporarily but apparently all the graphics are doing this. I was told from another company that because of supply chain
issues Sherwin Williams changed their formulas, causing issues for a lot of sign companies. It was very shiny paint. Anyone else experience this?
View attachment 157412
We always do a pull test on painted walls. If the paint is Low or Zero VOC, we use the Arlon DPF 8000 which is Ultra Tac.

Moze

Precision Sign Services
It's almost guaranteed to be Sherwin Williams ProMar 200. There are vinyls that will stick to it, but many won't.

Also, the sheen has nothing to do with whether it's a high-durability paint. ProMar is available in flat and basically every other sheen.

Stacey K

I like making signs
Speaking of Sherwin Williams, a couple weeks ago my Dad went there to buy some caulk and there was a 5% supply chain fee.

Precision

We prefer not to install others vinyl without a disclaimer up front.

All walls, almost always need to be tested prior to printing. So when they send you a preprinted wall wrap from who know where, most times there's going to be a problem.

I'm in California (not proud of that), low VOC paints are everywhere and troublesome. We try to wall test everything. What we've found is Ij39 or Arlon 8000 stick well, but shrink in a warm room. Go away for summer break and the seams have stretched. 25 inch.

So by experience through much failure we have found that Arlon 6700 and 3m Ij180cv3 with a 3M 8520 lam stick to everything, including heavy textured and even cinderblock.

On cinderblock use the heatgun with roller application and the wrap will conform like paint.

Hope this helps.

Medina Signs

Old Member
This same type of problem was discussed several years ago as we ran into a problem with the paint sheen. The paint had an eggshell finish and the laminated vinyl print fell off the wall twice (installed by others), I did some research to find out the eggshell was the culprit. recommended that the wall be repainted without the eggshell and the vinyl stuck like a champ. Never got a shout out from the customer, but I was a hero in my own mind.