• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Vinyl patch on print?

Colin

This is an outdoor banner. If it were a higher-end indoor/museum type application, I wouldn't even dream of a patch.

DizzyMarkus

I just re-did a 27" x 96" full print because the material had a string line through the middle. No actual string but the dent, it printed in the indent but I could see the "line"-- truly not noticeable upclose even-- I knew it was there! It was the only imperfection on the whole thing and would most likely gone through without a hitch.

In the end its your conscience and wallet -- do what you feel is right :0)

Markus

Colin

I spoke to the customer yesterday, and they said that as the banner is going to be used outdoors, they are fine with the patch. They said that they would trust my judgement as to how it looks after I apply the circular patch. I applied it last night and it looks just fine. If it didn't, I would re-print it.

skyhigh

I just re-did a 27" x 96" full print because the material had a string line through the middle. No actual string but the dent, it printed in the indent but I could see the "line"-- truly not noticeable upclose even-- I knew it was there! It was the only imperfection on the whole thing and would most likely gone through without a hitch.

In the end its your conscience and wallet -- do what you feel is right :0)

Markus

This is a medical condition, typically caused when a person with OCD suddenly becomes "Dizzy" (markus).

You're reprinting something that you can't even notice up close??? My gawd, its a BANNER!!!! Customers buy banners because they are CHEAP. Customers don't expect a banner to be perfect. If they wanted perfect, they would buy a SIGN.

JR's

I spoke to the customer yesterday, and they said that as the banner is going to be used outdoors, they are fine with the patch. They said that they would trust my judgement as to how it looks after I apply the circular patch. I applied it last night and it looks just fine. If it didn't, I would re-print it.

:U Rock::goodpost: :thumb: :thumb:

HulkSmash

looks like you handled it the right way.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
That's a bit harsh Gino, without even seeing the banner or the art.
I know I will catch hell for this but...Its a banner, jeez.

If it is an exterior banner, I don't see anything wrong with a patch,
always take in account the viewing distance.

No, you won't catch Hell for this, but I don't see it as being harsh, when someone takes the customer out of the equation and makes an executive decision as how to proceed for someone else's business.

The original post was about how to cover up a mistake and if it would properly adhere without coming off, which tells me, he's not ever gonna tell the customer. As people started commenting on replacing it in full, the OP changed his story and things began to go in a different direction from his original question.

Anyway, that was my only point.... at least give the customer the ability to make his own decision, instead of selling a patched sign at full price, regardless of where or how it's gonna be used. I could care less if people patch banners or whatever. We've patched lotsa things, but we always explain it in full to the customer up front and give them options. Everything here pointed to... being evasive.

Colin

The original post was about how to cover up a mistake and if it would properly adhere without coming off, which tells me, he's not ever gonna tell the customer. As people started commenting on replacing it in full, the OP changed his story and things began to go in a different direction from his original question.

No Gino. That's what YOU assumed and concluded. You were wrong.

DizzyMarkus

It was directly next to the image. It blended in with the image and most likely would have gone un-noticed. Once you saw it, it was very obvisous. Did I want to chance the encounter, no so I reprinted. It really wasnt an issue.

I appreciate the OCD explaination -- I had no idea .... what were we saying :0)

Markus

Stuckup

Be all and end all of the Deal. Customer is informed, accepts, and life goes on. Job LOOKS good, therefore is. That customer just stepped up, and I bet you always provide better than the best for him you can after this, as he will obviously appreciate it. I have produced a similar Faulty banner for a client, handed it to her, she liked it. After she accepted it, I handed the second correct one to her. Told me I was an Idiot for reprinting. All that proved was I was an Idiot, and I never had to quote against anyone else after that. I hadn't talked to her first about the job, why it was going to be late. Ended up doing a few under priced jobs, and catching up on the Big jobs well and truly. Goes around, just stay honest to the client.