• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Vinyl Pricing?

I agree, ask your boss what he would charge. If for no other reason, if you have a failure and have to redo the job hopefully you wouldn't lose any money.

JMan1

DAMN.....Just ASK your friggen BOSS what he would CHARGE.......gessh........

44 x 2.5 will give you the sqft...........110 sqft

Dont take no brain surgeon to figger that one out.....

ASK YOUR BOSS what the hell he paid for it ......

AND OH MY GOD you have a PRICE.........Friggen EASY if you ask me.....

NOW you know what the vinyl if WORTH......Now price it out at a markup you can MAKE money on and not look like a 12 year old kid that cant count past 10 without taken his shoes off.......

Obviously it doesnt take a brain surgeon to figure that out........but Im a fabricator. I figured pricing metal would be way different than pricing vinyl. And if that sounds stupid to you all.......sorry. Its just what I figured.

And to this dude up here, you're talking like its so simple. If it was, than why did it take 16 posts to just tell me what you did: 44 x 2.5= 110?

And since its necessary for me to explain myself on here.......yes, it would be easy to ask my boss, but Im on vacation at the moment. Who wants to call work while on vacation? Maybe you would, but not me. A buddy called me about this, and I just thought I would get a quick answer if I came on here........but after 16 or so posts, plus everybody passing judgement on me and what Im doing, it wouldve been easier to just wait until I get back from my vacation.......For a simple question like mine, I didnt think I needed to go into all this detail from how I got the vinyl to me telling everybody im on vacation........but whatever. I guess thats how things are done around here if you want a question answered.

To everybody that was cool about this.......thank you. I appreciate it. I pretty much got it by now. I'll take everything into consideration...You all keep your head up and take it easy!

blah blah blah....after all this it still sounds like you are stealing from work and don't have a clue what you are doing. 'i'm a fabricator' blah blah blah...last time i figured out the square footage of sheet metal, carpet, or plain ole vinyl the same formula was used...if i've learned anything it is that if something doesn't make sense or something smells funny...somebody is probably lieing..you sure have a whole lot of attitude and a whole lot of details you felt the need to put out there..none of this would have transpired if you would have put the whole scenario into the initial post, whatever the story is/was..i'm just saying

Techman

..but after 16 or so posts, plus everybody passing judgement on me and what Im doing, it wouldve been easier to just wait until I get back from my vacation.......For a simple question like mine, I didnt think I needed to go into all this detail from how I got the vinyl to me telling everybody im on vacation........but whatever. I guess thats how things are done around here if you want a question answered.

Well, for one thing pricing is not discussed in full detail in an open forum anyway. That is why ppl are beating aroudn the bush a little

JMan1

blah blah blah....after all this it still sounds like you are stealing from work and don't have a clue what you are doing. 'i'm a fabricator' blah blah blah...last time i figured out the square footage of sheet metal, carpet, or plain ole vinyl the same formula was used...if i've learned anything it is that if something doesn't make sense or something smells funny...somebody is probably lieing..you sure have a whole lot of attitude and a whole lot of details you felt the need to put out there..none of this would have transpired if you would have put the whole scenario into the initial post, whatever the story is/was..i'm just saying

Whatever, man. If you think Im a lying or stealing, than thats your opinion. Apparently, everybody has one. But bottomline is, you dont know me or my situation, or what is and what isnt with me......read every post after the initial post, and you will see why I had to explain all the BS I had to explain in the first place. I never asked for any of this. I asked what I thought was a legit question, and everybody decided that there was more to my question than there actually is. I guess you guys dont have anything better to do, than to manipulate sh*t.

And how do I have an attitude? I never came on here and demanded anyone answer my question, nor did I come off sounding like it. If somebody would of said HxL= sq. ft., than this back and forth would of all been done with. Simple as that.......but everybody decided to add their 2 cents and make like something shady was going on.

And to comment on what you said: "none of this would have transpired if you would have put the whole scenario into the initial post." You know, I thought I did. But I didnt know I had to tell everybody that I helped my boss with his house, he gave me company material, I had a friend to help out, and that I didnt want to ask my boss because I was on vacation in order for me to have my question answered.......Thats RIDICULOUS!...Some of you sign guys take "ATTENTION TO DETAIL" to a whole new level.

So far, some of the people on here, including YOU, have called me a LIAR, STEALER, CLUELESS, AND ACCUSED OF PUTTING SMALLER SIGN BUSINESSES OUT OF WORK. And you guys got all of that from "What should I charge per square foot with 44 ft of vinyl on a 30 inch roll?"......I didnt know I would be jumped at for helping a friend with sign needs.....Wow, I guess Iam the one with an attitude.:thumb:

I read all the time when there are new people signing up to be apart of this site: "Welcome, if you have any questions, just ask," or "We'll be glad to help if you need anything," or "This place is a great place to learn".........Sorry, but thats BS, you guys are a bunch of fakers. Maybe not all of you but, but from what I gathered from this post, there are some of you out there. You know who you are......

JMan1

Well, for one thing pricing is not discussed in full detail in an open forum anyway. That is why ppl are beating aroudn the bush a little

You know......I did not know that. Im not on here enough to have figured that out......but I already apologized for it in a previous post, and now I know not to do it again........ Certain forums have rules, and I can respect that. Maybe its under the RULES section of this forum somewhere, but I definitely missed it.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Yowsa… looks like somebody protesteth too mucheth.

J…..

I believe you’re jumping the gun and feeling a bit too defensive for anyone to take you seriously. You came here asking for help which most of us have provided, but out here on the open forums, we are protecting that which we have long held private to lurkers and tire-kickers…. and to make a long story short… you fit the description. Not that you’re a lurker, but you’ve sent red flags up all over the place as a lowballer.

No one…. and I MEAN no one likes a lowballer. Personally, I will play them to death or until they go away. No one will lose a wink of sleep if you never come back, but we would like to help you if you play by some basic rules. To learn those rules, first of all… stop with the attitude and start understanding where WE’RE all coming from. Once you understand that…. You might fit in better.

I believe you just got off on the wrong foot here and didn’t know how to tread water once thrown to the sharks.

You will find that there are a lot of sensitive subjects and most will answer your questions as you thought this place was about, but not for free. It’s all about learning the trade and as you’ve already admitted…. You don’t understand a single bit of it other than signing deliveries in and fabricating. So, don’t you think that learning the ropes from the bottom up is better than just asking for answers to things which others hold as business sensitive policies or decisions ??

If you’d read what was really written, asking your boss how to price this would make the most sense for you. Who else would know what the street value in your neighborhood would be if not him ??

As for being on vacation and not wanting to talk to him…. I also call foul there… because you’d rather be on here arguing your butt off with everyone while on vacation than asking a simple question that could be answered in two minutes from your boss.

Last, it really doesn’t matter what you think of us or what our little minds are thinking… you came to us for answers and didn’t like our responses. That’s not our problem; you need to find a better approach. You’ve been a member here for a year… you should have some idea how this stuff works or is that another area you thought didn’t fit into a fabricators handbook ??

JMan1

yawn...you need a little cheese with your whine?

it's a good thing you have a day job

Yup, you are right, DanStriker, it is a good thing I have a day job, and im grateful for it....Like I said, you have your opinion, and you're entitled to it. I dont know you, and you definitely dont know me.....so you can sit there and type all your BS and pretend like youre somebody important to this business......I dont even know why you decided to post in this thread when you are not relevant to it.......

JMan1

Yowsa… looks like somebody protesteth too mucheth.

J…..

I believe you’re jumping the gun and feeling a bit too defensive for anyone to take you seriously. You came here asking for help which most of us have provided, but out here on the open forums, we are protecting that which we have long held private to lurkers and tire-kickers…. and to make a long story short… you fit the description. Not that you’re a lurker, but you’ve sent red flags up all over the place as a lowballer.

No one…. and I MEAN no one likes a lowballer. Personally, I will play them to death or until they go away. No one will lose a wink of sleep if you never come back, but we would like to help you if you play by some basic rules. To learn those rules, first of all… stop with the attitude and start understanding where WE’RE all coming from. Once you understand that…. You might fit in better.

I believe you just got off on the wrong foot here and didn’t know how to tread water once thrown to the sharks.

You will find that there are a lot of sensitive subjects and most will answer your questions as you thought this place was about, but not for free. It’s all about learning the trade and as you’ve already admitted…. You don’t understand a single bit of it other than signing deliveries in and fabricating. So, don’t you think that learning the ropes from the bottom up is better than just asking for answers to things which others hold as business sensitive policies or decisions ??

If you’d read what was really written, asking your boss how to price this would make the most sense for you. Who else would know what the street value in your neighborhood would be if not him ??

As for being on vacation and not wanting to talk to him…. I also call foul there… because you’d rather be on here arguing your butt off with everyone while on vacation than asking a simple question that could be answered in two minutes from your boss.

Last, it really doesn’t matter what you think of us or what our little minds are thinking… you came to us for answers and didn’t like our responses. That’s not our problem; you need to find a better approach. You’ve been a member here for a year… you should have some idea how this stuff works or is that another area you thought didn’t fit into a fabricators handbook ??

Gino, I understand what youre saying about lurkers, and lowballers, and so I apologize if I came off like one........yes, Ive been a member for a year, butI already said Im not on here enough to know how you guys think. Whether you belive that or not, its the truth. I dont know what else to say because chances are, you wont believe me.

You said, I have an attitude. Where in my original post did I come off as someone with an attitude. Point that out to me. I thougt I asked my question very politely. I read over my post and I dont see where the attitude is hinted in that question......I only started getting defensive when everybody started sh*tting on me because they assumed something.....but now I know why. IBut tell me, how will I be hurting any of you if I help my friend out with ONE sign, when chances are, it wont affect any of you?.....

...you said, "....most will answer your questions as you thought this place was about, but not for free."......This I did know. I didnt know this my question had a "price" on it......I dont know, maybe Im misinterpreting this.

....and to answer this, "......don’t you think that learning the ropes from the bottom up is better than just asking for answers to things which others hold as business sensitive policies or decisions ??"..... Yes, it is better to learn the business from the bottom up. Thats how I got into this business....but nobody tried to help me. You cant learn, if nobdy is willing to help......some did help, but not until later, and I already thanked those people..... Like I said, Im not on here enough to know that asking these kinds of questions are very sensitive.

And to comment on, ".....It’s all about learning the trade and as you’ve already admitted…. You don’t understand a single bit of it other than signing deliveries in and fabricating."...... What makes you think I dont know about the business Ive been in for over 15 years? Again, you dont know me. But as usual, you pass judgement on me....... I just have never priced vinyl, before. It might sound wierd for as long as Ive been in this business, but thats just how it is. I doubt any of you will believe it. Im not some random shmuck off the street........Yes I did say im a fabricator, but fabricating and signing in shipments ISNT all I do.......I said I signed for the vinyl that I was using when it came in from shipment, and thats how I know it was good vinyl......re-check that post I wrote. Like I said, im not same random shmuck off the street. I know more about this business than you guys give me credit for.

Yes, it wouldve been easier to ask my boss, but I told you, Im on vacation. The only reason I asked on here was because I was killing time at the airport that I had a 5 hour layover in, and was hoping I would get an answer when I was waiting.......but I didnt know I had to explain that either. Like I said, you can believe whatever you want........you are entitled to it. With how long it took me to get an answer on here, I already said it wouldve been easier for me to wait till I got back........but I guess you didnt read that post either.

And lastly, yes I did come on here asking you guys for answers.........its not that I did not like any of your answers, nobody answered my question until after 16 posts. All posts before that, everybody assumed I was a lurker, or lowballer........

So Gino, you can "Play me to the death" or whatever, but tell me one thing, from when I asked my question, how was I in the wrong there? Where is the hint of cockiness and a bad attitude......read the posts, I never gave it to anyone, until people started to sh*t on me......why dont you tell me how The Sharks would of asked this, so I know for the next time. Why dont you teach me. I got time to kill. Im stuck at an airport, remember?........

B Snyder

Jman-

I don't know why everyone is busting your balls. Life is short, let it slide....if you stick around for a while and you'll see it's the same people that always bust balls.
You stated in your original post that where you work you were told $7-$8/sf is what you should charge. Go with that figure and enjoy your vacation.

CentralSigns

You know what. First you came off as sneaky. Then you want to low-ball in your pricing, cant ask for what its worth. I think I said half price sale, a clue you were too low. You said this was a side job got to keep costs down, you already had no cost as the vinyl was free, what you keeping down . Others said sell for what its worth. No you said I really want to low-ball. You lead us into believing you were not for real, something was off.

Every time you came back you evaded the answers or questions, your just not getting it dude. Questions may have been asked to see what you wanted to do with the vinyl. If your real why not tell us a use for the vinyl, do this, we didn't want all this other boss type info. Your way with words lead us to more and more distrust. It was explained, many choose not to discuss pricing or evade these questions, in an open forum area.

Realize that 110 square feet of vinyl can be used in a million different ways. Each job that it could be used in varies by rate. You could cut out decals and sell them for so much a piece making so much, and that may be different than selling it cut into signs or applied on coro or a banner. You never told us what you were making and only got more and more anal.

We are all willing to share info, but how can we do that if your not telling us the application of the material. All we kept getting was personal info. I couldn't give a rats ass how you came across the material. Next time tell us the product and the numbers. I don't think you realize that you never told us what you were making. Think of steel fabrication and realize that steel can be cut and welded into a number of things. Each thing demanding a different price usually one that the market will bear.

Now, your in the slam all who speak mode, attacking the very people and the vary site you look for answers at. Grow up. Stop defending yourself and give us the real stuff, and you might get the answer your after.

signage

If you look up on the top bat of the forum you will see a search did you try that before you asked the question?

Like B Snyder said you were given a price from were you work but you seem to think it was too hight, or at least that is the way it looks to us!

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Okay J… I’ll play your game a little longer.

Check out posts #12, #22 & #25. It doesn’t matter much who pisses on who first. You come across as not so serious and just want a free hand-out on an open forum and no one wants to play with you and you get all pissed off and start telling us off. Yeah, that’s real cool, dude.

Anyway…. all your talk and BS about how nice a guy you are and how misunderstood you are is a total crock of crap to me. I don’t need to hear that….. you wanna tell it, go ahead, but when someone like you starts telling me or anyone else what we can and cannot do and what our rights are on here or at any other forum…. then get ready to be crapped on.

You started this thread on the 14th with a five hour delay…. and on the 16th… you’re still at the airport on this delay……you think you’re in the movie ‘Terminal’ ??

C’mon J… get a grip on things. You shot yourself in the foot several times…. with our help, but it’s still your own foot. No one here gets hurt, but you keep digging yourself in deeper and deeper. Fess up and this whole thing goes away or you’ll just be that schmuck you kept saying you weren’t.

As for how would the sharks ask it…. well, they would’ve outlined the complete story first and explained all the details and asked for recommendations, help or advice from their peers. If someone had left part of the story out, we all would’ve asked for more details which would’ve been given right away without all the apologies and back-handed swipes.

It’s hard to believe someone is in the business [or ANY business] for 15 years and has so little savvy as how to act and react among people as you. The excuse of not knowing how to price is believable, but not necessarily a good thing… thus why you’re here. However, ask you’re boss about what to do, come back on and tell us how it all goes and post up what you’re doing for this friend and give us a detail idea and we’ll see how many folks you turn around.

Deal ?? :peace!:

Joe Diaz

I would charge 10-20% more than what your boss would charge. It's a win win. If you get the job you would make much more than if you went low. If you lose the job, because the customer is price shopping, well then it makes your place of employment's prices seem more attractive to that type of shopper.

Even though you don't make as much of a profit if the job goes to your boss, it is still work. Unemployment is around 10% now. Job security may be a bit more valuable than some extra pocket change on the side. You should be focusing on how to improve the business you are working for, and I bet in time you will see a better return.

You know what... I take that back... It sounds like I'm advocating price fixing.:Big Laugh... all the more reason to base your prices off of concrete factors like overhead, your costs, etc. and not what other people are charging. :thumb:

Also I want to make this point about lowering your prices. Don't feel like you need to lower the cost of what you are selling to get the job. Believe it or not, there are people out there who avoid the shops with the lowest prices and are willing to spend a little more for superior customer service and better quality. This is my opinion, but I believe it is more worthwhile to focus on improving in those areas rather than figuring out ways to lower the cost.

I also believe that at a certain point (in this industry) it becomes damaging to your bottom line to compete for the title of lowest price in the area, and more importantly it becomes damaging to the entire industry. In order to become the cheapest in town one has to sacrifice something... and at first it usually isn't the bottom line, it's quality and service that gets sacrificed. If everyone in your market competes for the lowest prices, soon those sign businesses won't get the reputation of having the better deals, they will get the reputation of having poor quality. Then it will be natural for all future customers to expect lower cost because they expect lower quality.

Just my two and a half cents.

d1rage5

he is the boss and must be new to signs, so he has not gotten any price guides or software to support him to know how to price. I may be wrong but if his "BOSS" knew what he was doing he would had said hey you should charge XX amount.

But it looks like duck, quacks like a duck, walks like a duck then it must be a beaver.

it would have been nice if they just said i am new and need pricing help.

CheapVehicleWrap

.... Hell, I think it was more that an even trade.....I helped him do something, he let me have material. Simple as that.

I dont get it, I thought thats what this site was about: asking questions.

Hell if you'll put rooms on houses for vinyl scraps, I'll PimpYerArse out all day long. Welcome to Jersey. I'm pricing airfare right now, I'll buy. PM sent!