• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

vinyl problem help??

csonka39

could use a little help... I am new to this so be gentle.. thanks .. I cut my vinyl letter , weed it , and mask it and the masking will not lift the vinyl letter.. I have tried , contact paper, masking , masking tape, painters tape, and packing tape which worked the best .. what is going on?

the vinyl is in new cond. but about 6 to 8 y/o.. but still sticky and it is easy to weed.. I just dont get it..

thanks in advance:thankyou:

xanderortiz

You need to use transfer tape. You can't just use some other craft tape lying around. The adhesive is unique in that it's stronger than that on the vinyl backing but not when it's applied to the final surface. It has the proper amount of pull to get it off the backing like you are trying to do with (...did you say...) packing tape???

401Graphics

the vinyl is too old. i used some old no name vinyl the other day, and it would not stick to the damn transfer tape. It was like there was wax on the face of the vinyl. Talk about frustrating!

401Graphics

yup. with calendared vinyl its kind of easy to tell by looking at how much of the backing paper is showing on the edge of the roll, because the vinyl shrinks over the years. Also depends on the brand of vinyl too. I have some old oracal that doesnt show hardly any shrinking on the roll. But the rolls that i have that are 'no name brand' show shrinking.

Techman

Problems because of old vinyl.. I doubt it very much. I have vinyl in the storage that is at least 7 yrs old and has no problems whatsoever.?

Likely it is dirty before it is too old. And then You must have medium tac transfer tape. Get it and you will be fine.

Mosh

No No No, not old vinyl, I use odd colors that have been in my shop 20 years, seriously I have a box of odd colors and some that I don't use have been in there from the get go.
One problem might be you cut too deep, or it is humid, or the tape is old. Cut, weed and tape some and lay it face downv and pull the backing from the graphic (Design facing DOWN). go Slow and peel it back on itself. then look at the backing, the blade should not be cutting into the backing paper, if so it is cut too deep. Next go Kick the guy who sold you the Cri-cut right in thesdhyhsfhjdjjsfhj