• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Vinyl Problem

wildergraphics

HELP:frustrated:
I am doing my first big sign job and am having trouble getting the vinyl to stick.
First off i am working with painted MDO board, semi gloss white and black dutch boy, outdoor premium paint. I could not get the vinyl to stick to the white but then i scuffed it up a bit with sandpaper and it worked.
Now i can not get it to stick to the black, i also scuffed it up a bit but it still wont stick.
I am using Oracal 651 vinyl. please help this could be a very big client.
Thank you

Not sure about that paint. But if it isn't oil-based enamel, the vinyl will not stick. If it is latex (the kind you use water to clean up with instead of thinner), it will not work.

wes70

Actually, there are brands of latex that work quite well with vinyl...you just have to find the one that works. Sherwin Williams Super Paint and Porters are a couple brands that many have success with.

R08

What about if he cleared it with Frog Juice. It should cover latex and the vinyl would definitely stick to it.

dwt

is there anyway i can fix the problem without starting over.

Not if you want it to look like it was done by a pro.
1. paint stripper, chem resistant rubber gloves and a respirator.
2. sand to a smooth finish.
3. prime and repaint using proper materials.
4. get your merit badge for attendance at the 'school of hard knocks'. Don't feel too bad, we all have a few.

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
I've had good luck in the past spraying latex paint with an exterior clear polyurethane. It seals the surface and it will then hold adhesives.

AUTO-FX

is your paint good n dry ? That's probably why it wont stick. i've done plenty of latex (usually glidden hi gloss) signs. in fact, i wont use oil based anymore. if you scuffed it up, just go ahead and recoat it and let it dry for a few days.

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
Fred, doesnt that stuff yellow after time?

I suppose so because it doesn't chalk. It takes a while though. The only time I've ever taken this route was with customer supplied boards and have never seen a case of it yellowing or causing any complaint.

i think your only shot at saving this short of repainting with an appropriate paint would be to try a layer of tycoat or possibly frog juice(spit) as mentioned above, but either way i would do a test on a small piece before investing a lot of time into either. the positive is that i guarantee you will never repeat this mistake in the future of your career.