• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Vinyl Removal NIGHTMARE... Help Please!!!

EMSbyDay

I'd like to say that I have a nightmare customer to deal with, but this time it's ME.

I just picked up a used car for a daily to get around in for a great deal, however, the previous owner must have had a cheap roof rack on the car that came with cheap clear vinyl pads to put on the roof for protection. Car is 5 years old and I'm guessing these were on the whole time. Its not just a matter of breaking /chipping when you try to peel it up, they are already cracked into a million pieces.

I've tried every tool I have here, heat, vinyl scrapers/lifters, solvents, etoh etc. I've managed to get some of it off getting the best results using a combination of "Vinyl - Off" and 99% Etoh although leaving the solvent on there to soak looks like it may ba affecting the clear coat a bit and I'm afraid to try anymore.

I do not have access to a "vinyl zapper" or similar tool.

Does anyone have any other suggestions?

Pics for reference.

Attachments

• badvinylpad1.jpg
    badvinylpad1.jpg
    69.8 KB · Views: 137
  • badvinylpad2.jpg
    badvinylpad2.jpg
    55.6 KB · Views: 121
  • badvinylpad3.jpg
    badvinylpad3.jpg
    76.3 KB · Views: 126

Brands Imaging

wet sand 1000 grit and buff...
maybe 600/800 - although if its an older vehicle you might not have much clear left on it..

you might need to send it to the body shop.

bjones

if there's still glue or vinyl there wet sanding will destroy the paint. There's no way you're going to sand off the glue and not hit paint. Use something like goo gone or another citrus based adhesive remover and a hair dryer.

Jester1167

Premium Subscriber
My guess is its not vinyl, it's clear polyester. Old cheap poly cracks just like that and is a pain to remove. My vote would be on the citrus based removers. You will have to soak it and scrape it repeatedly.

EMSbyDay

Well, having a bit of success with steam. Using a very basic houshold type bathroom steam sprayer and spray for a few seconds, then scrape, then spray, then scrape. Spraying long enough to soften the vinyl/poly to scrape away at it but not long enough to hurt the paint hopefully. Taken me about an hour right now and am about 70% through one pad.

Well, back to it then.

PS. tried Goo Gone, didnt really work.

EMSbyDay

I'm using something similar to the second one you posted but handheld.

Like this.
Offsite Pic Removed Photo Posting Rules

Attachments

• M_31287_SF-226.jpg
    M_31287_SF-226.jpg
    7.2 KB · Views: 129
Last edited by a moderator:

briankb

Premium Subscriber
Wagner Steam Wallpaper Remover works great for this kind of thing. We got one several years ago at Home Depot for a little over $50. Or you can upgrade to the pressure steamer for under $100.

Thanks for another great tip!

BTW I tried a "Shark" steam a few months ago that I purchased at my local wally world and it was a real piece of junk and was about $40.

I just ordered the Wagner 905 from Amazon for $77.55. Should be here in a few days.

GB2

Old Member
Tell a little more about those MBX Zappers if you would...do they go through the abrasive wheels quickly?...is it easy enough to get the rythm with it so you aren't damaging painted surfaces?...do they also take most of the adhesive off in the process too?

jmb474

We have been very successful using our mbx zapper. the first thing is that when you first start using it that you tend to use more pressure than necessary. Once you get use to it, the wheels last fairly well not to mention the time savings.