• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Vinyl Removal NIGHTMARE... Help Please!!!

EMSbyDay

Thanks for all the input everyone. Found a local source today for the 3M Stripe Off wheel listed in the post above. Has anyone tried that product? I think I may order it although wont get to try it till next week.

Mosh

Stripe off wheel from 3M work great. We have a 1/2" thick and a 1" thick wheel. The 1" was around $60, but in my opinion works as well as the $400 MXB deal. We use them and never had a paint issue. Any residue use the 3M adhesive remover.

Dave Drane

Vinyl Zapper wheels are much less than that and the machine is designed to do the job better than using a drill. I have paid for mine many times over. Do a search here for MBX Vinyl Zapper and check for yourself.
And from memory I think it was someone here could have had a very serious accident with a wheel flying off a drill and missing her eyes by the skin of a f#$&..

Replicator

BMX Zapper,

I have stripped entire shuttle buses with one . . . What a time saver !

No problem with taking off paint if the paint is good, in fact it creates a nice buffed finish when done !

Mosh

1" 3M striper and air tool. I have stripped whole Bud delivery trucks. 3M knows their stuff.
Not those 1/4" ones on a drill, the commercial 3M disks 1" thick for use on air tools.

SignosaurusRex

Thanks for all the input everyone. Found a local source today for the 3M Stripe Off wheel listed in the post above. Has anyone tried that product? I think I may order it although wont get to try it till next week.
They work great if you have the proper tool to run the wheel at the correct r.p.m.! Improper tool and/or r.p.m. can result in serious physical injuries and/or damage to the vehicle. The Zapper is by far a better choice and if you want a lighter weight tool, than I suggest the pneumatic version which is about half the weight and size of the electric version but is phenomenal in performance and will pay for itself many times over. Some auto parts jobbers carry the zapper at a great price as well as most tool distributors. Some offer a nice package deal that includes a nice assortment of other use wheels.

splizaat

I would use ORANGE PEEL...spray it on real good and soak it, let it sit for a minute or two then CAREFULLY take a razor blade and scrape up the gummy residue off the paint. I did this on a van for a customer and it worked WONDERS.

once you are done use windex, don't let the chemicals in ORANGE PEEL sit...orange peel is an actual product, I'm not talking about peeling an orange.

Mosh

ORANGE PEEL, is messy, buy works pretty good. We used it a couple of times on tough stuff. Instead of a metal razor use a lil chizler or a plastic razor. The vinyl comes off like snot, it is messy!!!! A simplar product is aircraft decal remover, it is more aggestive, so the paint better be good under the vinyl or it goes off too.

splizaat

ORANGE PEEL, is messy, buy work pretty good. We used it a couple of times on tough stuff. Instead of a metal razor use a lil chizler or a plastic razor. The vinyl comes off like snot, it is messy!!!!

definitely...let it soak for about 30 seconds then just scrape it off...keep the edge of the blade clean, do another pass, clean edge of blade, another pass, etc.

EMSbyDay

have tried a few citrus cleaner/removers. They are just not penetrating the crapply poly film. Vechicle was lent out out and will be coming back in a few days. Think I'll give the zapper or 3M wheel a try.