• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Vinyl Slitter

Kemble

So I did a search on here on signs101 on vinyl slitting and went through numerous posts and still couldn't find an answer that I was comfortable with.

I'm looking to slit 60" x 30 yard rolls down to 24, 24 & 12. I will be doing at least 1 roll a month. I'm not interested in the whole miter saw solution because I wont get an exact 24, 24, 12. It will be more like a 24, 24, 11.5 due to the thickness of the blade cutting 2 times. I'm not interested in "by hand" as I don't have a work bench 60+ wide and it will be just too labor intensive.

I found smart-slitters.com, while their machine looks great and it's exactly what I want, it's also $6600 & I'm hoping I don't have to spend that much.

So I'm hoping someone out there might have an alternative slitting machine/company/solution that will allow me to do what I need to do.

I'd prefer to do it myself and not have to have someone local to do it for me to save me the trips back and forth every month. I'm hoping someone can point me in the right direction in finding a machine/solution under $3,000 (if possible). I know how all these companies with their machines (laminators/printers/cutters) like to rebrand and sell for cheaper so I was wondering if someone can help me out since I'm not finding much in the 1st 10 pages of google either.

thx

petepaz

if you are doing it that often you don't have a supplier who can slit it for you?

we use tyrrell tech for that. they have a slitter in their maryland office and we have them slit vinyl and lam for us all the time.
if it's something they have in stock usually goes out with in a day or two.

CanuckSigns

I would keep an eye out for an old woodworking lathe that can hold a 60" log of vinyl.

put the log on and use a good sharp knife to cut through. You can find an old lathe for a few hundred bucks.

CanuckSigns

Doing something like that once a month doesn't warrant buying equipment. Find a supplier that can do it (most can and will) and that will ship to you. Problem solved :thumb:

that is a good point, we have a supplier here who will cut the vinyl however you want it for no additional charge.

CS-SignSupply

smart slitters manufactures their own machines and are very good for entry level to medium production use. Heavy use will push you closer to $12-20k.