• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Vista 64-bit....

Tony Teveris

I've been using Vista 64 since it came out. All the other laptops (3) in the house use Vista 32 and my wife's law biz uses Vista 32. Never any bitching or complaints. Of course they never plug anything in except cameras and USB sticks.

As for mine at work, I never turn it off or reboot unless an update requires it. I do all the Omega development on it and the only thing it does not run is older 16 bit apps.

If your worried about devices I would check for the drivers. Your external HD should have no problem. As for Win 7 you can install that directly over Vista but the same (at least at the moment) is not the same for XP.

If your buying the notebook from a local store see if they would let you connect your external drive.

With my work Vista the one thing I have disabled is the UAC

Steve C.

Why is Windows 7 any better? Won't it still be problematic for older software?
I have a computer with Signlab E-S2. A bridge cut program for Corel. It's
an old program, I'm pretty sure it will now work or vista.

P

ProWraps™

64 bit on ALL of our systems. they all run great. oh except for that, crash everytime i put a GD flash drive in the usb port. i love that part.

javila

Only issue I've run into with 64 bit Windows 7 is fleix 7.6, so I run that in XP compatability mode. Everything else works so far, what hardware/software are you going to be using?

Windows 7 has amazing great driver support as is, you can use it free until march.

Wanted to give a bump to this since I just managed to install Flexi Sign 7.6 directly into windows 7 64-bit with one of the latest builds. It would not run on the beta or RC1. You'll get an error midway through the install, but everything works fantastically.

P.S.

Windows 7 if officially done!

briankb

Premium Subscriber
I'm running Windows 7 Release Candidate x64 Build 7100

Hardware:
Antec Full Tower Case
Asus Motherboard w/Intel Chipset
Intel Quad Core CPU
8GB DDR3 Ram
6 Drives (1pr RAID 1 for OS, 1pr RAID 1 for Document, other 2 for junk files or backup)
(2) nVidia PCI Express 16x Video Cards to run 4 monitors
Microsoft Natural Ergonomic Keyboard 4000
(3) Samsung 204B 20" Monitors mounted on an Ergotron desk mount
(1) 42" LCD for reviewing stuff with co-workers or XBOX360 :)

Software Installed:
- Microsoft Office 2007 Pro
- Adobe Design Premium Creative Suite 3 (CS3)
- Quickbooks 2008
- Graphtec Cutting Master Pro and the Illustrator Plugin
- a ton of other stuff I need to work

Windows7 x64 WORKS WELL and I have no problem with it or drivers. I've installed the Graphtec and Summa software and they both work without issue. Also Type 1 fonts are supported without having Type Manager installed or even needed more about this.

I switched about 4 months ago and love it LOVE IT.

If you find something that will not run on Windows7 (32 or 64bit) try selecting "XP Mode" in the properties for that app shortcut. The version of Win7 that will be release for production will have the XP compatibility stuff tweaked even more. If you have a problem with Win7 try leaving a message on one of hte official Microsoft forums http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en/category/w7itpro/

I also have a MacBookPro laptop and run windows 7 on it under VMWare Fusion. Love my MBPro and OSx too.

Just my .03 cents ;-)

Hope you will try it.

Techman

Windows 7 is out all over the place. You can still get the rc1 test bed in some places.

And, win 7 RTM (release to manufacturer) is being distributed as we type. It will be available to the general public after every one else gets it IE: corporate users, partners and such. I have beta tested win 7 and I like it.
I now have the RCM and the the "leaked" RTM both with legal keys.

I like it a lot. So much so I obtained training manuals. (*I still do not have a vista manual of any kind. I said when vista fistula was in beta it would be a failure. All too many said the anti vista crowd was wrong. In the end we were right,,, again. We were right when XP sp2 came out and told every one to watch out that is will kill lots of softwares and hardware pieces and it did. Albeit temporary when OEM's found out they had a end user uprising on their hands.)

Anyway. Win 7 64 bit looks good. I did not test 64 bit so i cannot speak first hand.

But i will install win 7 32 bit full this weekend on a legacy machine (P4). The only driver I cannot get is for the ATI Allinwonder 7500 vid card. So what, it still works just not with all the add on goodies. I also run a network cam with an extremely old driver

It seems that the driver list is very competent just as M$ said it would. M$ learned the lesson well with vista mistake of trying to force every one to buy all new hardware. There were geeks all over the world rewriting drivers into vista for older hardware that worked perfectly well.

So, good luck every one. I for one see no challenges yet.

trakers

I would recommend Win7 as well.

If you want run hassle free use 32bit. If you have time to dick around with compatibility issues you can try 64bit. The minimal benefits of 64bit are just not worth it for me.

I just preordered another 12 copies of Win7 (from 4 different vendors). All were Pro and all were 32 bit.

I’ve always loved being on the cutting-edge of tech, but between Shista and 64bit I’ve pulled back off that. Too much to do to waste time fighting problems that do not exist on rock-solid XP 32bit.

iSign

I printed 8 large prints for our aquarium yesterday. They were for their interactive displays & it was my second time doing graphics for them, even thought they have been ordering & using lots of print work for longer than I've even had my printer. Needless to say, I considered it an important job to do well. The 4' x 6' panels had lots of text blocks with 1/2" copy.

To get good results on the full coverage photo backgrounds, translucent white fuzzy edged panels behind text, and the text, I exported the client-provided InDesign files to end up as 300 dpi, full size .tiff files. These files were all over half a gig each. Without my quad-core processors, 8 gigs ram & 64bit OS, I don't think I could have even set up that job. As it was, I had to work around the clock Thursday night to keep the job on schedule. I also took a hit on the print time, to keep the quality up & ran my Mimaki at 720x720 unidirectional, for a print time of about 1 hour per print... but damn... they look great!

javila

I would recommend Win7 as well.

If you want run hassle free use 32bit. If you have time to dick around with compatibility issues you can try 64bit. The minimal benefits of 64bit are just not worth it for me.

I just preordered another 12 copies of Win7 (from 4 different vendors). All were Pro and all were 32 bit.

I’ve always loved being on the cutting-edge of tech, but between Shista and 64bit I’ve pulled back off that. Too much to do to waste time fighting problems that do not exist on rock-solid XP 32bit.

Windows 7 x64 has dealt me very very little hassles at all. Only this obscure card reader won't get set up.
All retail version of windows 7 will come with both 32 and 64 bit btw.

I printed 8 large prints for our aquarium yesterday. They were for their interactive displays & it was my second time doing graphics for them, even thought they have been ordering & using lots of print work for longer than I've even had my printer. Needless to say, I considered it an important job to do well. The 4' x 6' panels had lots of text blocks with 1/2" copy.

To get good results on the full coverage photo backgrounds, translucent white fuzzy edged panels behind text, and the text, I exported the client-provided InDesign files to end up as 300 dpi, full size .tiff files. These files were all over half a gig each. Without my quad-core processors, 8 gigs ram & 64bit OS, I don't think I could have even set up that job. As it was, I had to work around the clock Thursday night to keep the job on schedule. I also took a hit on the print time, to keep the quality up & ran my Mimaki at 720x720 unidirectional, for a print time of about 1 hour per print... but damn... they look great!

Probably should have built that file as a pdf or eps, it would have cut down the size tremendously.

iSign

Probably should have built that file as a pdf or eps, it would have cut down the size tremendously.

I'm not sure if I had that luxury, because I didn't design the file, however I am first to admit I have my familiar routines & end up not learning much about alternatives until I need them.

The files came to me as InDesign files. There were a million things going on, & many of them unfamiliar to me, including the many compound paths, raster effects, and masking methods done in InDesign.

I was able to export as .eps files & open in Illustrator. From there the "bleeds' that the designer set up for me were now hidden, because his crop lines (or whatever they were in InDesign) caused them to convert to a "masking" in Illustrator, which I had to release.

At this point, my usual workflow is to export as RGB .tiff files, because on smaller prints, I've had consistent results printing a single flattened raster image, and feel that combining vector & raster images in Flexi is just adding risks of color irregularities with the vector components, as well as the risk of some vector component getting lost, moved, or improperly layered... so for me, I just avoid those risks when I can, especially when there are a million things going on, and done by someone else. (meaning I wouldn't as easily recognize import errors etc.)

So, anyway, that is why i went the route I usually go... but now that I've confessed my limited understanding of my alternatives, as well as my concerns... I would love to learn how I might have been better able to use smaller files. The .eps files I had halfway through the file preparation were about 4 times smaller.

Would you have used those? Or exported the InDesign file as a .pdf instead?

I thought about separating all my text in Illustrator, along with a keyline for registration, & then creating .tiff files of just the images, which looked fine at 100 dpi. I could have aligned the text in flexi & had smaller files that way, but also some other details to watch out for or attend to. I feared i might end up doing that, but tried the 600 meg files instead & got away with it.

Techman

ask them to send you those indesign files as a standard pdf,, just to experiment a little

I just did a pdf out of indesign and it printed just fine..

javila

I'm not sure if I had that luxury, because I didn't design the file, however I am first to admit I have my familiar routines & end up not learning much about alternatives until I need them.

The files came to me as InDesign files. There were a million things going on, & many of them unfamiliar to me, including the many compound paths, raster effects, and masking methods done in InDesign.

I was able to export as .eps files & open in Illustrator. From there the "bleeds' that the designer set up for me were now hidden, because his crop lines (or whatever they were in InDesign) caused them to convert to a "masking" in Illustrator, which I had to release.

At this point, my usual workflow is to export as RGB .tiff files, because on smaller prints, I've had consistent results printing a single flattened raster image, and feel that combining vector & raster images in Flexi is just adding risks of color irregularities with the vector components, as well as the risk of some vector component getting lost, moved, or improperly layered... so for me, I just avoid those risks when I can, especially when there are a million things going on, and done by someone else. (meaning I wouldn't as easily recognize import errors etc.)

So, anyway, that is why i went the route I usually go... but now that I've confessed my limited understanding of my alternatives, as well as my concerns... I would love to learn how I might have been better able to use smaller files. The .eps files I had halfway through the file preparation were about 4 times smaller.

Would you have used those? Or exported the InDesign file as a .pdf instead?

I thought about separating all my text in Illustrator, along with a keyline for registration, & then creating .tiff files of just the images, which looked fine at 100 dpi. I could have aligned the text in flexi & had smaller files that way, but also some other details to watch out for or attend to. I feared i might end up doing that, but tried the 600 meg files instead & got away with it.

I would have pushed it out of illustrator as an eps. Get the images at final res of about 100-125ppi(this step along would have lowered the file tremendously)*, vector all the small text. Assuming there were little or no raster effects attached to the tiny text.

*I use jpgs for everything, I've noticed no difference in .tiff vs Quality Level =11 .jpgs. Espcially for something that's being output at 100-125ppi.

choucove

As I've stated elsewhere to others, I've been running Windows 7 RC as my primary desktop OS for the last few months now ever since building a new computer in early May. All the hardware was recognized without problem, and everything has worked incredibly smooth.

Driver support is definitely a plus in this OS, but I must say something about it just seems more snappy and "professional" than Vista did. Everything loads smoother, faster, and without a ton of additional processes or services that I noticed opened in Vista all the time. It just seems a lot more efficient. An example of this is the type of computer that can run it. While many 'netbooks' or older computer systems cannot handle a Vista installation, they are perfectly capable of running Windows 7.

One of the biggest reasons why Apple sales and stock rose as much as it did over the last five years was because of Vista. I think that with the release of Windows 7, Apple will have a major fight on its hands again and will not be seeing near the gains that they had before in the last half-decade. Win 7 is a score for Microsoft, incorporating many "feels" of many linux X interfaces that people have enjoyed, securing things up a bit more, and making things more stable without making them a headache for everyday use.

I'm currently working to test out more software and hardware with Windows 7 as available to be prepared for upgrading all of our computers company-wide to Windows 7 sometime early next year. It has been great to hear from everyone here who has been doing similar testing as well, what they have had success with, what they have had difficulties with, and even just little hints and tricks that they have learned. Keep up with posting whatever you can as we all can learn from it!