• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

VJ1324 Nozzle issue?

heathtech

Working on this for a friend. The printer started printing horribly. I replaced the maintenance station, didnt help. Im assuming clogged nozzles, the nozzle check only prints about an inch of lines. Pics attached. Any insight would be greatly appreciated!!

20160822_095158.jpg
20160822_095153.jpg
20160822_095144.jpg

alias1

encoder dirty?

try cleaning the encoder strip. only use alcohol/Isopropyl. the fact that its printing all over might be a result of not being able to read its location from the strip.

worth a try.

As for the graniness, maybe cleaning head cables would cure issue. Sometimes static also an issue.

cheers

floater302

Wow, that print I like my ex wife (all over the place with no sense) also check your cable to the printhead. and try a different typ in menu if your using type one try type 3 sometimes people like to mess with setting they don't know what they are for.

heathtech

This is what the nozzle check looks like. Going to try the other suggestions today. Thanks for the input guys!

20160824_095440.jpg

heyskull

There is your problem in a nut shell.
That looks like a hell of a lot of nozzles blocked for something to just start printing like this.
That looks like it has been blocked for a long time.
How old is the print head and is the machine used much, as these machines thrive on a lot of use?

I would check that the cap is sealing properly onto the bottom of the head and listen for leaks when cleaning.
This is probably nothing to do with head cables or encoder strips.

I would leave the head soaking in solvent cleaning fluid overnight.
Then give a few strong cleans and see if their is an improvement.
Then report back.

SC

heathtech

Did a headsoak for an hour, then tried a few test prints just to see what happened. Here are the results

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• 20160824_112635.jpg
    20160824_112635.jpg
    27.5 KB · Views: 849
  • 20160824_112649.jpg
    20160824_112649.jpg
    21.6 KB · Views: 885

heathtech

There is your problem in a nut shell.
That looks like a hell of a lot of nozzles blocked for something to just start printing like this.
That looks like it has been blocked for a long time.
How old is the print head and is the machine used much, as these machines thrive on a lot of use?

I would check that the cap is sealing properly onto the bottom of the head and listen for leaks when cleaning.
This is probably nothing to do with head cables or encoder strips.

I would leave the head soaking in solvent cleaning fluid overnight.
Then give a few strong cleans and see if their is an improvement.
Then report back.

SC

It's used on a daily basis, but it has NEVER been cleaned before. I thought the same thing, but it was printing fine last week, because I had him print me a banner. These guys have had it for 3 years, and they bought it used. So who knows how long since it has been cleaned, and to top it off, they're using some cheap aftermarket cartridges.

premiercolour

Merchant Member
It's used on a daily basis, but it has NEVER been cleaned before. I thought the same thing, but it was printing fine last week, because I had him print me a banner. These guys have had it for 3 years, and they bought it used. So who knows how long since it has been cleaned, and to top it off, they're using some cheap aftermarket cartridges.

It had happened to us once on a Roland printer (very similiar to Mutoh printer). Everything worked fine until one day the print looks horrible. The printer performed like it should. 100% nozzle check before. So we went ahead and performed a head wash on the printer. Put the ink back, everything looks great.

Is the Mutoh using Eco Ultra ink? If not sure, post a photo so we can identify for you. How long ago the dampers were changed? Per Mutoh service manual, the dampers and maintenance station needed be changed every year.

220ml cleaning cartridge
http://www.premiercolour.com/bordeaux-220-cleaning-cartridge-for-mutoh-roland-mimaki/

Dampers
http://www.premiercolour.com/original-damper-assy-for-1608-1618-1614-1624-1617-1324-1638-2638-mutoh-part-dg-41543/

Maintenance Station
to be posted later

Mutoh Eco Ultra Ink 220ml
http://www.premiercolour.com/mutoh-eco-ultra-cartridge-220ml/

Mutoh Encoder Strip for 1204
to be posted later

Premier Colour
- An authorized Mutoh dealer

heathtech

It had happened to us once on a Roland printer (very similiar to Mutoh printer). Everything worked fine until one day the print looks horrible. The printer performed like it should. 100% nozzle check before. So we went ahead and performed a head wash on the printer. Put the ink back, everything looks great.

Is the Mutoh using Eco Ultra ink? If not sure, post a photo so we can identify for you. How long ago the dampers were changed? Per Mutoh service manual, the dampers and maintenance station needed be changed every year.

220ml cleaning cartridge
http://www.premiercolour.com/bordeaux-220-cleaning-cartridge-for-mutoh-roland-mimaki/

Dampers
http://www.premiercolour.com/original-damper-assy-for-1608-1618-1614-1624-1617-1324-1638-2638-mutoh-part-dg-41543/

Maintenance Station
to be posted later

Mutoh Eco Ultra Ink 220ml
http://www.premiercolour.com/mutoh-eco-ultra-cartridge-220ml/

Mutoh Encoder Strip for 1204
to be posted later

Premier Colour
- An authorized Mutoh dealer

I just replaced the maintanence station Friday, the dampers have never been replaced. They are using an offbrand ink, not eco ultra.

heyskull

Soak overnight then post a nozzle test print.
The head can let go at any time but that looks like ink starvation or the pump is not pulling through properly.

SC

heathtech

Before I left, I took the black cover off of the printhead to take a look at the tubes and saw that the front Black tube was empty, which is weird because the 2 black tubes are a Y off of 1 main tube. The rear black tube had ink, but the front didnt. The main Black tube was empty about 2ft back from the printhead. I ran an initialize cleaning cycle on it so I could see what it was doing, and the black ink wasnt moving at all, even during the ink fill stage. Any ideas? This is what it was doing to begin with, and I've replaced the maintenance station already, so it shouldn't be the pump?

RG

Was there a head strike before everything hit the fan? Make sure that the head is parallel to the platen. If it is, then install new dampers. Do more head soaking for sure. Make sure the black ink cart is good. I have had a 440 ink cart in my 1204 read 55% and it still let air into the ink lines. I'll never buy another ink cart from 3RWay again! To flush all the air out of the ink lines, a "Little Charge" is all that is needed. Lastly, remove the spit box or the fixture that holds the cap top, get a flashlight, saturate a cleaning swab with cleaning fluid, and make sure the head is clean. If dried ink is anywhere on the head, it can prevent the head from making a good seal on the cap top.

heathtech

Was there a head strike before everything hit the fan? Make sure that the head is parallel to the platen. If it is, then install new dampers. Do more head soaking for sure. Make sure the black ink cart is good. I have had a 440 ink cart in my 1204 read 55% and it still let air into the ink lines. I'll never buy another ink cart from 3RWay again! To flush all the air out of the ink lines, a "Little Charge" is all that is needed. Lastly, remove the spit box or the fixture that holds the cap top, get a flashlight, saturate a cleaning swab with cleaning fluid, and make sure the head is clean. If dried ink is anywhere on the head, it can prevent the head from making a good seal on the cap top.

I won't be back down there until Friday morning, but I will try a Little Charge then. I tried 3 brand new black carts, to no avail. Dampers is my next step methinks, how hard are those suckers to replace? Thanks for all of yall's help!!

RG

Damper replacement is pretty easy. But, you should keep a few things in mind. First, you REALLY should replace the ink-line o-rings with new rings. In fact, bad o-rings could be your problem. Second, use a plain screw driver to lift up on the little shelf that's on the left side of the damper. While you are doing that, use a finger or two on top of the damper to lift it STRAIGHT UP. Try not to wiggle it much. If you crack or break the nipple or post that the damper is pushed onto, then you will have to replace the manifold with a new one. Third, before you push a new damper down onto the manifold, you should put a drop of cleaning fluid on the bottom of the damper. This helps it slide on the post easier. Hence, less chance to do any damage to the post or the o-ring that is inside the damper. And, of course, use a finger to push it straight down. Don't put much if any pressure on the soft side of the damper. If you don't already have one, a service manual would come in VERY handy. I'll bet that another member here (hapycmpr) would send you a link to download a copy. I have attached a PDF file that someone send me a few years ago. Good luck and shout out when the 1324 is up and running again.

Attachments

• How to remove 1204 dampers.pdf
    3.4 MB · Views: 259

floater302

Before I left, I took the black cover off of the printhead to take a look at the tubes and saw that the front Black tube was empty, which is weird because the 2 black tubes are a Y off of 1 main tube. The rear black tube had ink, but the front didnt. The main Black tube was empty about 2ft back from the printhead. I ran an initialize cleaning cycle on it so I could see what it was doing, and the black ink wasnt moving at all, even during the ink fill stage. Any ideas? This is what it was doing to begin with, and I've replaced the maintenance station already, so it shouldn't be the pump?

I would go maintenance mode and do a normal ink charge

heathtech

Damper replacement is pretty easy. But, you should keep a few things in mind. First, you REALLY should replace the ink-line o-rings with new rings. In fact, bad o-rings could be your problem. Second, use a plain screw driver to lift up on the little shelf that's on the left side of the damper. While you are doing that, use a finger or two on top of the damper to lift it STRAIGHT UP. Try not to wiggle it much. If you crack or break the nipple or post that the damper is pushed onto, then you will have to replace the manifold with a new one. Third, before you push a new damper down onto the manifold, you should put a drop of cleaning fluid on the bottom of the damper. This helps it slide on the post easier. Hence, less chance to do any damage to the post or the o-ring that is inside the damper. And, of course, use a finger to push it straight down. Don't put much if any pressure on the soft side of the damper. If you don't already have one, a service manual would come in VERY handy. I'll bet that another member here (hapycmpr) would send you a link to download a copy. I have attached a PDF file that someone send me a few years ago. Good luck and shout out when the 1324 is up and running again.

So, I ordered new dampers, o-rings, and joints just to be safe. They'll be here in the morning. This should be interesting =D

heathtech

I won't be back down there until Friday morning, but I will try a Little Charge then. I tried 3 brand new black carts, to no avail. Dampers is my next step methinks, how hard are those suckers to replace? Thanks for all of yall's help!!

So, Dampers and O-Rings replaced. Still no change. Printing exactly the same. I'm at a loss here, could it be an electronoic component causing this or something? I would think if it was nozzles, there would be at least a slight improvement after the cleanings and replacements done?

Any ideas?

At this point, I'm tempted to tell them to suck it up and call a mutoh tech lol.

lets forget about the printing quality for now. You need to get ink to the head.I would use a syringe an pull from the 2 little hoses under the cap. see if ink pulls on all of the ink lines above the head. listen carefully for an air leak. i would guess this is the problem. either the cap is not sealing or there is a leak in the ink tube.You also need to make sure the head is sitting flat in the carriage. I am also assuming the machine has been thoroughly cleaned. ( 3 years no cleaning, really) I would pull off the top cover to the machine. on the 1324 there is a choke that closes when a cartridge is not present. Make sure there are no issues at any of the connections. You could also pull the cover off the ink slot. Then hook a syringe up to each ink line directly above the damper. Pinch the needle where the ink comes in to seal off the end. Pull and the syringe should return to original starting position. if not the is a leak on that line.

DYNAMICGRAPHICS

Dynamic Graphics
Printing Issue

Mutoh vj-1604 not printing any colors.
Tried cleaning head, pulled ink from each damper still nothing...
Any suggestions?