• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

VJ1604 E071 error code

henryp

henryp

My disc is closer to the left hand of the encoder (outer) in some case touching!
It isn't touching the two parts of the right hand guide pin. It is touching the left hand one furthest from the printer mechanism!
I know this is the problem but I can't move the sensor out!
How do adjust this?
Do I adjust it at the coupling?

SC

The info I posted previously is based on a document I downloaded from the Mutoh Belgium website. I just had a look at our ValueJets (VJ-1618, VJ-1608, VJ-1614 & VJ-1618W, all assembled in Japan), 2 have the encoder disc lightly touching the outer guide pin just like yours, one has the encoder right in the middle of the U-shaped sensor and not touching anything, while another has the disc lightly touching the left guide pin and all of these printers work properly.

I think what is important is that the disc must not wobble or move side to side while rotating to minimize misreads, IMHO.

If you believe that you have to reposition the disc relative to the sensor, loosen the 2 screws fixing the pulley to the shaft, then move the whole assembly sideways as required then tighten. As you tighten, check that the disc stays more or less in the same plane all the time when rotating.

As a side note, I have encountered a problem similar to what you are experiencing on 2 or 3 early VJ-1604's when they first came out. This was way back, either late 2007 or early 2008. I have not seen this problem at all on the new printers. On those printers, the problem was due to misalignment of the 2 shafts. Btw, the grit roller has no adjustment, its position is set in the factory and is determined by the bearings that support it. You can only adjust the short shaft.

To check that the shafts are aligned, you can try the following:

Release the pressure roller by lifting the Media Set Lever
Loosen the PF motor fixing screws
Slip off the belt from the pulley.

The grit roller should now be freewheeling and if it is correctly aligned, you should be able to spin it manually without much effort. Give it a good twirl and it should continue spinning on its own for a few seconds. If it does not, find out why because chances are this is what is causing your problem.

When reassembling the PF motor, it is best to use use a tension gauge. With the motor screws loose to allow movement, hook the gauge to the shaft of the PF motor assembly then pull until the tension gauge indicates 31.22 ± 3.43N (3,500gf ± 350gf) then tighten the screws to hold the motor in place.

Hope this helps

Last edited:

randya

wow, thanks henryp,

I had not seen any of these here, but my techs were aware of the procedure.

We have not seen anything like the prints heyskull posted though.
Although this sounds like it could easily be responsible for his output.

henryp

wow, thanks henryp,

I had not seen any of these here, but my techs were aware of the procedure.

We have not seen anything like the prints heyskull posted though.
Although this sounds like it could easily be responsible for his output.

Hi Randy,

Your techs are very lucky to have a very knowledgeable and proactive boss like yourself who is always on top of issues like these, I feel jealous, lol!

heyskull

How do I adjust the wheel so the sensor is positioned further to the right and not to the left as in bulletin TIB340_ValueJet 1604_Encoder_errors.pdf.

This I know is my problem but you can't adjust the sensor at the plastic holder so do you have to adjust it on the shaft?

Cheers

Sean

randya

Hi Randy,

Your techs are very lucky to have a very knowledgeable and proactive boss like yourself who is always on top of issues like these, I feel jealous, lol!

Oh, I am not the boss, just someone who trys to help out the best I can.

heyskull

Does anyone know how i adjust the sensor position?
Do I have to adjust it on the shaft?

Help
I'm nearly there.

SC

randya

Sorry, I cant tell from looking at mine.

I am told that there is no adjusting the sensor position, but it looks like that adjustment may be on the shaft.

henryp

Does anyone know how i adjust the sensor position?
Do I have to adjust it on the shaft?

Help
I'm nearly there.

SC

Follow the instructions on that Technical Bulletin, loosen the 2 screws fixing the pulley to the shaft then slide the pulley assembly to the right until the disc lightly touches the right hand side guide pin. Tighten the 2 screws bit by bit if you do not have the torque screw driver, as you do this, rotate the grit roller and check that the disc touches the guide pin all the time, if it does not, either the disc is warped or the pulley itself is deformed.

You can try doing this while waiting for the pulley retainer, if it works, just fit the spacer when you get it and do the same adjustment again. The spacer just prevents the pulley from deforming when the fixing screws are tightened willy nilly.

While you're at it, please perform the freewheel test for the grit roller just to make sure the thud noise you hear is not caused by misalignment of the shafts.

Last edited:

heyskull

I have had this to pieces 6 times now!
There is no adjustment on the 2 screws on the pulley disc as once the screws go in the whole lot slots in and tightens up.
You cannot move it back and forth to adjust the sensor as once you tighten the screws up it goes back to its alloted position.
Is the adjustment in the shaft?
The thud is the encoder disc moving and touching the encoder sensor.
I have managed to movethe sensor away from the encoder disc by inserting a small piece of vinyl between the sensor and the sensor housing but this is not a proper fix.
The pulley has moved and needs repositioned so the disc is as the bulletin says " verify that the encoder disc is slightly touching the right hand side guide pin of the encoder sensor"
How do I adjust it as there is no adjustment on the large pulley that the encoder disc is fitted or the encoder sensor?

Thanks
SC

henryp

You can try this, loosen the 4 grub screws on the coupling holding the 2 shafts together, see if you can move the short shaft as required.

Without personally looking at your printer, this is the only advice I can offer for now. Maybe it is about time to get a Mutoh technician to come in and have a look.

leerees

The machine uses the tick marks on the encoder to determine how much to advance and what posistion it is at.

You can clean the encoder with denatured alcohol and an a non-shedding clean room wipe.

If the disk is damaged, it should be replaced

I tried doing that and it rubbed the ticks off completely, now the machine wont print at all without bringing the error up.

I've ordered a new disc and hope to get it in the middle of jan

LenXIII

Wow I just saw this thread.

Randy I am suprised you have not seen these issues before?

I have this same problem once in a while. I always thought it was media alignment problems. It is the exact issue you posted, where it gets wavey every so and so mm. Here is how I fix my problem when it happens...

After loading the machine and lowering the lever to the tightest position the printed reads the material. After that I manually feed the material forward using the control panel. If i hear the "thuds" during the advancing of the material then I will get those problems in the print. All I usually do is lift the tension lever, pull the material through a bit more making sure it is perfectly straight, and starting over. I dont know how these issues are related, but I definitely fix the problem by doing this. Sometimes I have to refeed the material 3-4 times or more to get the thudding to go away. I always thought it was the material not feeding perfectly straight.

Give it a try? I know it sounds weird, but I have your same problem 100%, it just seems to be avoidable by doing what I did. It could just be a coincidence, if so I am now worried as my machine may be heading towards the same permanent problem as yours....

heyskull

Len

It most definitely isn't a media alignment problem.

All I can think is if the media is properly aligned it will put extra pressure on the x axis and this small amount of pressure may move the encoder.
You are lucky with still just having to realign the media but over time it will get worse.

It is most definitely an encoder alignment problem.
Believe me I have had it to bits enough times.

I just wish I could find an easy way of adjusting the encoder position.
There must be someway of adjusting it?

SC

LenXIII

After reading this thread I tried some things that seems to have mostly fixed my problem. It mentioned above to loosen the screws to the drive shaft motor (the small sprocket thingy) and move it towards the encoder wheel until the disc touches the inner most part of the sensor guide. I did this and it worked. Just loosen the bolts and spin the wheel by hand while barely tapping on the motor with your hand to move it a tad. Keep spinning the encoder wheel until it gently touches the inner most sensor guide instead of the outter most part. Then hold the motor in place and tighten. This also got rid of the problem of my encoder wheel spinning lopsided a bit.... Takes a few tries though because tightening the bolts causes the motor to move just enough to mess up the alignment.

leerees

Guys, just to keep you updated, I replaced the encoder wheel and everything is working ok.

If you're having this problem check the encoder wheel for scratches, mine was scratched.

Gman75

Len

It most definitely isn't a media alignment problem.

All I can think is if the media is properly aligned it will put extra pressure on the x axis and this small amount of pressure may move the encoder.
You are lucky with still just having to realign the media but over time it will get worse.

It is most definitely an encoder alignment problem.
Believe me I have had it to bits enough times.

I just wish I could find an easy way of adjusting the encoder position.
There must be someway of adjusting it?

SC
What’s the proper alignment? Should it be touching the sensor white plastic piece on the sensor?

Gman75

Guys, just to keep you updated, I replaced the encoder wheel and everything is working ok.

If you're having this problem check the encoder wheel for scratches, mine was scratched.
Was the scratch visible? Mine has a scratch where the white plastic like guide touches is all the way around the disk