• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Question Vp540 board MainBoard Repair Network problems or just buy new board?

mcbirdman

I have net connect / disconnect problems with VP540 that seems to be heat related as I have seen on other threads. I have reached out with email to 3 of the known board technicians. One hasn't replied in over a week (Chester), one from Georgia was kind enough to reply solder connection problem on aging boards and said he could sell me a printer cheap....( evidently a No on repair) and the Canada has still not replied.

Can anyone tell me if there is such a fix that can be done by these repairmen regarding network diconnect problems? Macromedia lists on ebay their apx 200 fix but reading the small print it says to contact him first regarding network issues as it isn't the same repair or something..... IF he doesn't do it it would be simple to say so but apparently he does fix them ? I just can't get a reply but I have seen some of the old remarks here so now that he is on ebay, I was hoping maybe all is sorted out.....

Obviously a fix for 200 is far better than 12-1400 for a board but all I was hoping for was a reply so I could keep moving on this...... Anyone with specific information about this fix or what needs to be changed ? I have wasted several weeks on this and it is kind of frustrating........

My brother says I am jumping the gun thinking to buy a new board and part of me feels like we are waiting for nothing except to be eventually told there is no fix and we HAVE to replace the board.........

What is the catch? Why do they advertise main board repair and not reply to specific inquiry within a reasonable amount of time? I don't need it fixed this second as obviously I have been waiting but I don't make my customers wait long for a reply, even if I can't accomidate them......What am I doing wrong? Should I purchase the "repair" and then send it in to them? I am trying not to waste either of our time and shipping too....... Thanks !

premiercolour

Merchant Member
Hi.

Our customer had the same problem. The mainboard is not available through Roland DGA anymore. We can try to repair the board. Message for more information.

$200
$150 for diagnostic. $25 to ship to us, $25 to return the board back to you. 2nd day Fedex shipping service with both to and back tracking numbers.

$150
Depends on what's going on. Usually additional $150 will do the job.

Repair the board if the printer printhead is in good shape. If not, time for a new toy. ; )

Last edited:

mcbirdman

Thanks PerfectPdf. Was just hoping to find someone with specific experience that has a high rate of success with network problem fix. Just hard to understand why vendors are selling "fix" on Ebay and won't even respond to message. My brother says that I should buy the fix and then maybe they will talk..... Maybe true but a message of intent or inquiry is a message that deserves timely reply.

I wonder if Anyone here has had a mainboard/onboard network problem repaired for similiar reasons? I'll contact the premier colour since they posted and see if they have experience. In the meantime, preparing to find best price on new. I was looking last week and I wonder if prices fluctuate alot...... It seems like they went up a few hundred in the last week or so......I'm not in a rush, so maybe I will have to watch a while......

Alistair1

Another one here: https://www.digiprint-supplies.com/en/vp-540-main-board-6700469010-pborovp002.html?category=

A couple of other thoughts; The main boards are still readily available from Roland, at least in this part of the world (Oceana) so I don't see why not in yours. Having been through the board repair process on our own VP-300, my view is not to bother. We had a board repaired. It lasted for a while and then failed again and we ended up getting the Roland agent to replace it with a new one. It is just not worth the downtime and general shagging about required. Just get a reputable repairer to replace the board and move on as quickly as possible. Cheaper in the long run if you account for your time and the delays caused to customers. That is how we approach these issues now anyway FWIW.
Good luck!
Alistair

premiercolour

Merchant Member
Hi.

Our customer had the same problem. The mainboard is not available through Roland DGA anymore. We can try to repair the board. Message for more information.

$200
$150 for diagnostic. $25 to ship to us, $25 to return the board back to you. 2nd day Fedex shipping service with both to and back tracking numbers.

$150
Depends on what's going on. Usually additional $150 will do the job.

Repair the board if the printer printhead is in good shape. If not, time for a new toy. ; )

Correction. I spoke with Roland and they do have the board available to order. Price is $2246.40. Order from your local Roland dealer so they can come to install with warranty.

mcbirdman

Hey wow for sure yes. That is great !!!! Ill write more when get home..... thanks ! $%517#$627$%6654 james or you can email me at $%#mcbirdman@yahoo.com@#$#

Last edited:

twothousandman

I might have have a spare used main board I'd sell for $120 shipped. I've got a vp540 that we stripped down to parts before tossing the heavy portions and the main board was fine, it just had some head issues.

I might have have a spare used main board I'd sell for $120 shipped. I've got a vp540 that we stripped down to parts before tossing the heavy portions and the main board was fine, it just had some head issues.
Is this board still for sale

Dallas225

We just stripped a vp540 as well and took it to scrap. I’ll see if we still have the box or electronics we took out of it for recycling, if I have the board still you can have it, just pay shipping from Canada.

TimToad

We just stripped a vp540 as well and took it to scrap. I’ll see if we still have the box or electronics we took out of it for recycling, if I have the board still you can have it, just pay shipping from Canada.

If you find it and mcbirdman doesn't take it or has already found one, we'll gladly take up on your offer and pay a fair price for it.

hybriddesign

owner Hybrid Design
Hi, sending all of our boards to mcbirdman. looks like some other people posted that they have old boards as well so hoping they can help out. If anyone needs Mutoh rj-900 parts I have a ton as well

netsol

you know SOMETIMES the problem is not a bad board
it. can simply be the fact that these machines were connected to the pc witha crossover c able, instead of 2 cables and a network swiitch, or router. this was common accepted practice in the past. but. will NOT. work with windows 10 (and often, not with wdows 7)
microsoft said you can no longer use a serial cable in lieu ofa switch and 2 cables when windows 98. was released. the industry was slow to react to this, since it will work for a while until it decides not to

at a minimum, before spending $2000 for a main board turn off power management settings control panel>system>power>sleep>never
then go to device manager (right click computer in file explorer, choose propertieis>device manager, then choose network adapter>properties>power management

also look at the connector, all 8 "fingers" should. be at the same height. sometimes, in getting behind the machine, you snag the wire & distort the connector. if the finger appers to be out of line with the other 7, you can often give a little tug with a dental tool (or get someone from a trv repair shop to solder in a new connector

often it is a. bad main board, but lets look at the possibilites that are free, or can be fiixed for $30first

backwoodsgirl

I was in the same boat and found an easy fix out of desparation LOL... I was not about to buy a new board!! I'm sending you a PM