• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

VP540 Clogged Heads

grafixemporium

I did something I don't normally do... left the VP540 running banners on Saturday. The carriage got hung up at some point and was left out uncapped all day Sunday. The heads are bone dry. I swabbed them and tried adding cleaning fluid to the capping station to let them soak. I've also run quite a few normal and medium cleaning cycles. So far, I've gotten about 50% of the cyan nozzles cleared, but everything else is completely clogged.

Any thoughts on what to do next besides wait for a tech? How do you go about clamping the lines on the capping station so the cleaning fluid doesn't drain out immediately?

encadtech

Ok - what you want to do is get some lint free paper towels - Autozone and Pepboys carry them. Cut a sheet in a 4th - fold it twice so that it is the same size as the capping station tray. Soak the paper towel with the cleaning solution from the original cleaning cartridges. You'll need to pull one apart and cut the nipple off the end so you can dispense it from the inner bag. Make sure the head is in the low position and let the heads sit capped over the towel for an hour - after letting them sit - immediatly run a strong cleaning cycle. Repeat until everything is back to normal.

Bigdawg

Just Me
Do not run the strong cycle.. have to disagree with that part encadtech. Run a medium instead...

we were told (and it has held to be true on our VP540) that running the strong cleaning cycle is a waste and you are better served ink-wise to run a couple medium cleans if necessary rather then the strong cleaning.

Just my 2 cents

encadtech

This is normally the case - because you will be allowing the capillary action of the heads to take on cleaning solvent - you want to run the strong cleaning after capping w/ the paper towel

The Big Squeegee

Long Time Member
You don't need to destroy a cleaning cartage unless you don't have any alternatives. You can get a Liters or a gallon of solvent to have on hand for such adventures. I have used a syringe with a needle to remove or inject solvent and ink into the bags. The needle MUST be shortened and all burrs removed or it will puncture the bag. Don't ask me how I knew that...lol

Let the head set over night on the towels to let the solvent soften up the dried ink.

grafixemporium

Well, the tech made it out before I had a chance to get the heads cleaned myself... and I learned some good tricks so I'm glad he came. He solved the problem in less than 30 minutes. Here's what he did...

- removed the panel below the interface

- detached the tubes leading from the capping station to the pump

- with the carriage "docked" on the capping station he inserted a syringe and sucked the crap from the heads through the capping station and into the syringe

- reconnected the tubes to the pump

- performed normal cleaning

- problem solved!

He did say that a good, long head soak would probably have likely worked too... but his method was the quick and dirty fix.

Thanks for the tips!

anotherdog

Well, the tech made it out before I had a chance to get the heads cleaned myself... and I learned some good tricks so I'm glad he came. He solved the problem in less than 30 minutes. Here's what he did...

- removed the panel below the interface

- detached the tubes leading from the capping station to the pump

- with the carriage "docked" on the capping station he inserted a syringe and sucked the crap from the heads through the capping station and into the syringe

- reconnected the tubes to the pump

- performed normal cleaning

- problem solved!

He did say that a good, long head soak would probably have likely worked too... but his method was the quick and dirty fix.

Thanks for the tips!

This tip is a keeper. And how the heads got clogged a lesson too.

grafixemporium

One thing -- you have to have a vaccum tight seal when the heads are on the capping station for the syringe method to work. If the rubber gaskets or tubing does not have a good seal, you will not get good suction and you will be pulling air with your syringe instead of the junk from the heads. Also, if your don't have good suction, your cleaning cycles are likely not doing their job anyway. So it's a good idea to keep those rubber gaskets around the capping station clean and soft and make sure all the plumbing below is air tight.

As for the paper towel method, the tech showed me a better way to soak the heads. With the printer powered down, simply remove the panel below the interface to expose the pump and tubes leading from the capping station to the pump. Crimp each tube and hold it with a binder clip. Fill each head cap with cleaning fluid. The crimp will prevent the cleaning fluid from just draining out to the waste bottle and allow it to pool in the caps. Move the carriage back into place gently until it clicks. Let the heads soak overnight. The next morning, uncrimp the tubes and crank up the printer. Run a cleaning cycle or two and then run a test print.

I did this last night and have 100% of my nozzles back.

One more notable tidbit... the main difference between the normal/medium cleaning cycle and the powerful cleaning cycle is the amount of ink used in the process. However, in the powerful cleaning cycle the heads are run across the wipers in the opposite direction they are normally wiped, with the rougher side of the wipers. This really scrapes the surface of the heads. So, it's a good idea to run a normal cleaning cycle immediately after a heavy cleaning cycle to wipe the heads the normal way one last time.

Your tech did it properly...as with most things in life take the "expert's" advise with a grain of salt. A syringe is very handy to have in your cleaning bag, and it will save you time, money, and frustrations. Power cleaning cycle won't cure these type of issues...use your swabs,solvent, and syringe (gently).

guillermo

This is what I do, I just remove the small hose for each captop, adjust the nozzle of the syringe and pull the other part of the syringe (do not the name), but if you need to pull more you will have to remove the syringe and start over, but I use moy mouth and suck until I see the ink........ I do 1 or 2 mediums cleans and it works fine.... I have a SP300V

grafixemporium

Guillermo, you want to use the syringe between the capping station and the pump... not before the capping station. If you tap into the lines after the capping station and suck ink through with the syringe, you are also ensuring that the seal around each head at the capping station is air tight. In my case, one of the gaskets was not sealing well and we were sucking air with the syringe. In other words, no matter how many cleaning cycles you run, if your gaskets on the caps aren't sealing properly, the lines will never get cleaned out.