• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

VP540i

G

gps-hi

The firmware upgrade to VP540 equals the "i"

Intelligent pass control and perfcut features added along with a speed increase.

JBarraxSW

Something doesn't look right here, but maybe I'm not reading this correctly. Roland's Intelligent Pass Control is being touted as similar or equivalent to Mutoh's Patented Intelligent Interweave (what's in a name? in this case, the sincerest form of flattery)
But if you look at the output figures in the article gps posted, it says the upgrade to RIPC boosts the 54" VersaCamm's output to 9.4 m²/h.

increased to 9.4 m²/h on banner and 8 m²/h on vinyl, compared to 5.2 m²/h (banner and vinyl) without Roland Intelligent Pass Control
My metric conversion calculator indicates that 9.4m is only 30.8 feet. So the firmware upgrade gives you a maximum output of 30.8sf/hour in banner mode?

If this is their attempt to catch Mutoh, they've got a lot of work to do. The output in banner mode from a 48" or 54" ValueJet print is 143 sf/hour. That’s at the same resolution.*. If this is correct, the ValueJet is still 3 and a half times faster than the upgraded VersaCamm.
What am I missing?

*Roland's "standard print mode" is 720 x 720 dpi, the same resolution Mutoh uses for the banner four mode.

Robert72

1 square foot = 0.0929 square meters
so
1 square meter = 10,7639 square feet.

Then 9,4 sqm/h is 101,18 sqf/h

Not bad at all :smile:

JBarraxSW

lol. I think you're pulling my leg Robert. I'm pretty sure the VersaCamm doesn't print at 101,18 sf/hour. If it did it, that would be one heckuva firmware upgrade! :smile:

Mainframe

As far as I can tell it is one heck of a firmware upgrade, I used the RIPC profile for a 12 foot banner & it did it in 20 minutes, seemed pretty fast to me, also the post was a question about the Roland VP 540, there was no mention of a Mutoh, guess you sell Mutohs? Guess you couldn't wait to jump in & bash the Roland? The VP 540 is a solid machine & good performer, the actual print speed is only part of the complete professional sign project, I am also sure the Mutohs are good printers & much loved by their owners, but I can't imagine they print 3.5 times faster than the 540 in my shop, if they do, it would make one heck of a youtube video.

GVP

It is common in some European countries (Robert72 looks like he's from Spain) to use the comma as a decimal separator - thus 101,18 is 101.18 sq.ft

anotherdog

I'm not really happy with the RIPC profiles. there is a quality hit and extra possibility of banding. Many times I use the old profiles for the quality over speed.

JBarraxSW

As far as I can tell it is one heck of a firmware upgrade, I used the RIPC profile for a 12 foot banner & it did it in 20 minutes, seemed pretty fast to me, also the post was a question about the Roland VP 540, there was no mention of a Mutoh, guess you sell Mutohs? Guess you couldn't wait to jump in & bash the Roland? The VP 540 is a solid machine & good performer, the actual print speed is only part of the complete professional sign project, I am also sure the Mutohs are good printers & much loved by their owners, but I can't imagine they print 3.5 times faster than the 540 in my shop, if they do, it would make one heck of a youtube video.

Not bashing the Roland, just trying to put the updates in perspective. Both are good machines and they each have their virtues.
And although 3.5 times faster sounds incredible, the Mutoh's with the Intelligent Interweave firmware are quite fast even at high resolution. You really have to see it to grasp it.
And there is a video comparing Mutoh and Roland output speeds but it's not really relevent to this particular discussion.