• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

VS640 printing problem

Brian27

On my flatbed I get identical results as your last pictures when I have my head height set too high or if the media I'm printing on is super staticy and I don't get rid of it beforehand.

pete2803

Hi, head height is set low, have considered static and may invest in a wide format anti static kit in the new year to eliminate it from a being a possibility, going to re try it with the Hexis profile but I don't think it's profile related as some of the bi direction test print lines are faint and don't line up (see previous thread) thinking about changing head cables and print carriage board ??
happy new year to everyone

Jester1167

Premium Subscriber
One way you can tell if it is static is that it gets worse as you print and the static builds and it only discharges when the print head touches the capping station. Grounding the machine never helped us. I suspect that the head is isolated. We never had problems with vinyl. It was always banner material in winter. Our magenta head would go nuts after about 2 feet when printing banners until we raised the humidity.

Try a humidifier. It will stop you from getting zapped on the laminator and vinyl cutter as well.

Chad.

I had this issue with another printer (non roland) and for us it was a heat / humidity issue. It was winter and the temp in the printing room was lower than normal along with the dry air. We upped the printer heat and pumped some moisture in the air and the ghosting cleared right up. Not sure if you monitor temp and humidity but it might be worth a look.

Brian27

Didn't you say you've had this printer for 5 years though? If you've been static free for five years in the same room, it's unlikely that all of a sudden you're going to be plagued by static.

With all the problems with my flatbed, everyone kept point at static cause it's apparently a catch all type problem. Being in Colorado it made sense at the time. I bought expensive humidifiers (that don't do jack) installed HVAC in the room to heat it and tried virtually every possible static eliminator. Nothing worked...because it's not a static problem.

Nevertheless, instead of investing in expensive humidifiers, first just try to eliminate the possibility of static on your media first. Try dryer sheets, alcohol, combing the media with a grounded wire. It wouldn't take must to test. Personally I use some stuff from mpc specifically made to prep acrylic and eliminate static but I it's expensive and probably not needed for your application. You can also detect built up static with a standard multi-meter.