• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

VS640 printing problem

pete2803

Hi I'm experiencing poor quality printing from my VS640 I have printed this file once OK now it is giving over print like a shadow or over spray effect I have tried different VW settings and different media settings on the machine still the same I have also printed a different file that has previously printed fine and I get the same result, does anyone know what is causing this and how to rectify?? please see attached images

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    23 KB · Views: 557
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    18.9 KB · Views: 394

Gene@mpls

Nozzle test OK? How old is the printer? Any maintenance performed? Captop clean? I'm on tablet... so being brief.

pete2803

attachment.php

Hi thanks for your reply, yes nozzle test good received regular maintenance cap top nearly new

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    36 KB · Views: 921

pete2803

Linear encoder strip now cleaned and recalibrated and still have the problem, I have also tried another peice of media in the machine problem still exists, then I loaded that same peice of media onto my old SP300V and ripped the same file and printed it no problems on 300V image attached, so problem with machine VS640 not media related, regarding static the machine is grounded ok? help! ??

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    29.5 KB · Views: 365

Gene@mpls

How old is the printer? I have a RF640 [same printer w/out the cutter] and I remove the wiper assm once a month for a total cleaning as that is about the only way to get to the wiper scraper on the bottom and it gets nasty. Two cap screws and two wire connectors and it comes right out. I have picts on how to... but I am in San Diego for another two days.

pete2803

Hi, the printer is about 5 years old, I returbed it in May, new head, dampers, cap, ink lines, wiper, scraper, stripped the machine and cleaned everything put it all back together set it up and it's been perfect, I have just removed the wiper unit as you suggested, cleaned everything new felt and rubber wipers refitted tested still got the same problem, I have a perfect nozzle test so I don't thing it's s cleaning issue, thanks for the replies and ideas though Firmware is up to date and VW's too, If you think of anything else please tell.

Gene@mpls

These printers are fairly new in the states... you prob know more about them than we do. Good luck Mate. Gene :toasting:

TXFB.INS

we are also running a VS-640 and have seen the same over-spray and in the same color CYAN.

our tech did a fill print test pattern while in test mode and he said it was an indication of the head failing.
we are still using the same head and started doing more printing regardless if it was a job or not and this has helped reduce the overspray.

Ragnabrok

Getting summoned, this is new :thumb:

The nozzle check shows the bias alignment of the head is a bit off, but nothing that would cause overspray that bad. All the nozzles are firing, but the test print in user mode only shows the large dot, in service mode it shows the small dot as well, would be nice to see the pattern from the small dots too.

The comparison print from the SP-300 is concerning with how much more saturated it is, does it look that faded across different profiles, or just that one?

The overspray doesn't really look like static, usually the static isn't so consistent. The vertical line beside the purple R looks like static collecting on a roller mark. I was once able to find static being the issue by just holding my hand on a metal part of the printer, and it didn't overspray as long as i was grounding it. Do you get zapped every time you touch it?

I remember years back a printer giving ghosty prints similar to this, removing, cleaning and reseating the head cables fixed that.

Looking again at the nozzle check, i'm assuming it's an effect of the camera, but it looks like 3 different colours of cyan.

Sorry for being so broad, there are lots of variables to eliminate before i'd be comfortable pointing to one thing.

pete2803

Hi thanks for getting back to me so soon the printer has C and Lc inks all Roland ecosol max and new, I did a service menu nozzle print results attached small dots smeared, I did a bias test and bi directional results attached, I then removed and cleaned head cables refitted same results, I don't get zapped when I touch machine and print doesn't improve when I touch it and ground myself. I had a think and checked the head rank luckily I still have the box the head came in last May, the number was completely different! I have no idea how it got changed?? So I re entered the correct number and re ran the tests, results attached greatly improved but there is still A small amount of overspray if you zoom in, and print is still not as saturated as the sp 300v one?? I have tried different profiles some make the overspray worse the best result is Rolands generic 3. Also on the bi directional test H3,H5, H8 & H10 are now present but faint and the lines do not match up perfectly anywhere so I chose the closest I have a photo but I don't seem to be able to upload it right now,Do you have any ideas how to improve further remove remaining overspray and also increase saturation??
Thanks
Pete

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    37.8 KB · Views: 414
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    23.2 KB · Views: 308
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    41.1 KB · Views: 332
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    26.3 KB · Views: 347
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    30 KB · Views: 325
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    36.2 KB · Views: 313
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    24.8 KB · Views: 328

Ragnabrok

Wow, that old small dot nozzle check is messed bad, head rank makes sense if the voltage or pulse width was waaaaay off. If it still does something like that occasionally it's a data issue, usually a fault of a cable. Which cable? that's the fun part.

I find all all the gold head based printers, the generic profiles compared to the DX4 machines are terrible. If you haven't already, try some made by the manufacturer of your vinyl (3m, orafol, arlon) or at least something similar.

Or to just dump up saturation, in the settings tab there is a drop down box defaulted to "pre-press US", change that to max impact to saturate it to heck.

Prints dissapearing in bidirectional also leans towards a data issue, since they are fired from the machine there is no profile to affect it.

you've pulled the head cables + cleaned, did you do the other end on the print carriage board?

pete2803

Yes I cleaned both ends of the head cables and I'm already using max impact preset, tried the media manufacturers profile it's worse! Is there anything that can be done in the profiles themselves I know VW allows you to copy and alter profiles in its media explorer? What's more important right now is to stop the remaining overspray? Any more thoughts? Data cables? I've attached an image of the bi directional test so you can see the H3, H5, H8 & H10 lines faint and none actually line up perfect.
thanks
Pete

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    24.8 KB · Views: 328

Ragnabrok

Some of the VS series data issues were fixed with a firmware update a few years back, but that was more block printing than overspray.

In the profiles themselves are ink limits for the colours and for the total. From the editing menu you can print a saturation limit chart, it'd be intersting to see the result of that, but i don't think we are having a profile issue here.

This is looking more like an electronic issue, cables/boards/head. I haven't come across this exact issue before, so i can't point directly at one cause, or really a logical train to follow. I know some Roland tech support people comb these forums *cough* Randall *cough* and might offer a more narrow list of possibilities.

pete2803

Ok, I'll print the saturation chart mess about with the ink limits a bit and upload an image or two, at the moment I've managed to print a sign job I've uploaded some shots printed uni direction with generic 3 profile, there's some overspray on the black lines in scan direction, be nice to sort it out I hope "cough" Randall "cough" drops by for a look, is he a member?? There are 4 Randall's on the list of members, anyway thanks for all your help you certainly pointed me in the right direction I'm getting a lot better results now thanks, Do you know anything about Mimaki UJV160's?? That's my next job lol.
Thanks
attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    57.5 KB · Views: 593
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    17.5 KB · Views: 550
  • image.jpg