Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

vs640 test print pattern problem what is this? please help

Discussion in 'Roland' started by digital man, Jul 11, 2012.

1. digital man

digital man New Member

Mar 19, 2012
    Hi im looking for advise on what the problem is with my printer seems to be getting worse and does not get any better with cleaning cycles.

Attached Files:

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 11, 2012
  2. CS-SignSupply

CS-SignSupply Very Active Member

Possible loose ribbon cable or dirty cap station...

First, power off and unplug. Then take of the front covers to get into the printhead area... check to make sure the head ribbon cables are secure into the board slots and also into the head itself.

Uncap the head and manually clean the cap station. The black rubber seal around the edge of the sponge area.

3. 2B

2B Moderator

May 5, 2011
    TX
    Check your firmware and make sure it the latest version, when our VS 640s act up with prints 9/10 its a firmware issue

4. digital man

digital man New Member

Mar 19, 2012
    ok thanks i will try the ribbon cable thing tomorrow i always clean the cap station and have tried manual clean again today. could this be a blocked head ?

really appreciate all your help as i cannot afford a tec guy does anyone have a service manual for the vs640?

5. digital man

digital man New Member

Mar 19, 2012
    did a firmware update fairly recently but i will also check that tomorrow thanks.

6. CS-SignSupply

CS-SignSupply Very Active Member

How long have you had the VS-640? Call the tech to see if he can do a Warranty Service Call.

7. digital man

digital man New Member

Mar 19, 2012
    unfortunately the warranty has run out, and times are hard at the moment so i would like to try and sort this my self

8. romichoux

romichoux Member

Feb 13, 2012
    Check if you printhead is not scratched. have you got a paper jam?

Generaly, when a printhead print out the range like it does on your print test, the head is damaged and it's difficult to recover.

where are you located?

9. digital man

digital man New Member

Mar 19, 2012
    located in Norfolk, Uk hope its not the head :omg: no scratches or jams to report i always run with the head in the high position.

10. romichoux

romichoux Member

Feb 13, 2012
    Try to do this:

-use a bag clip like this and pinch the pump tube (between the cap pin and the pump)
    http://www.kitchenaria.com/Kitchen/Gadgets/kitchenware_1393.html

-when tube is pinch put cleaning solvent in the capping

- replace the head on the capping with the solvent

- wait 5 min and loosen the clip

- perform a MEDIUM cleaning

- retry the test print!

11. scuba_steve2699

scuba_steve2699 Member

Dec 11, 2006
    looks like a cap top issue to me. Make sure all of the tubing is clear from the captop to the drain bottle. i replaced a cap top a couple of days ago that was clogged and started the printer back up to find that the drain line from the pump to the bottle was clogged. It blew the endcap off the drain line and sprayed ink all over the inside of the machine. A 30 minute job turned into a 3 hour job to get everything cleaned up.

Bottom line, check all tubing lines before saying it is good.

12. digital man

digital man New Member

Mar 19, 2012
    thanks for all your ideas. i am trying the overnight head soak. I have clamped the captop pipes and filled the captop to the brim with cleaning fluid and manualy parked the heads with power left off. Will see how things are in the morning.

13. woolly

woolly Member

Sep 24, 2007
    Cornwall uk
    i would have a look at the head with a mirror see if you can see any damage or rubbish stuck up there.

14. SE SignSupply

SE SignSupply Member

Nov 13, 2006
    Apex, NC
    Looks scratched to me. Have you looked under there with a flashlight?

15. mopar691

mopar691 Member

Sep 15, 2010
    I agree, Looks like damage reflection.

16. Roto

Roto Member

Jul 19, 2011
    Australia
    I head a head crash on our 640 and the test pattern was all over the shop.
    Reinstalling the firmware fixed the problem.
    Roto

17. digital man

digital man New Member

Mar 19, 2012
    did a full firware update today and no change in the nosle pattern. after i did the overnight head soak there was an improvment in the test print then after i did a short print job i just thought i would check the nosle patern and im back to square one :banghead:

18. digital man

digital man New Member

Mar 19, 2012
    had a look under there today and its like a mirror i see no scratches or damage. thanks for the suggestion.

19. SE SignSupply

SE SignSupply Member

Nov 13, 2006
    Apex, NC
    Keep in-mind the scratch (if there is one) will be at the very front of the head, not the middle as it appears in the print...

20. digital man

digital man New Member

Mar 19, 2012
    Thank you for pointing that out. i was aware that it would be closest to the front left when i looked, i used a microscope camera. Looks as clean as a whistle.