• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Wait a minute.. here's my latest logo attempt (or, Don't laugh at my truck sketch)

AUTO-FX

Looks great, Doug! Classic panel design with great color use. I think the excavator/truck clip is alittle weak, maybe if they were closer together, but if the customer likes it, that's good.
Reading your posts and seeing your design has inspired me to study this logo design style.And logo creation in general. I have no formal design training. I have taught myself anything i do know just through observation and trial and error implementation.
Is there any particular book on design fundamentals you recommend? Have you or anyone else reading this used online resources - like Lynda - to improve your design skills?

GypsyGraphics

while i think Doug's previous truck fit the layout better, if it's not the right piece of equipment i agree it should be changed
but i think an excavator (loader and a backhoe) would have filled that space and been more in keeping with his original design.

Excavator.jpg

oh... i gotta say... i'm very impress with the how you seem to have gone from sketch to final so quickly!

Nice work and a nice profit!!!!

I think there's a lesson for me here.

CentralSigns

L
Is there any particular book on design fundamentals you recommend? Have you or anyone else reading this used online resources - like Lynda - to improve your design skills?

First off Nice design iSign, looked real good. Auto-Fx you could try for starters Mastering Layout by Stevens. It is a good read even the second or third time.

iSign

AFX, I suggest Dan Antonelli's 2 logo books! Fun and easy read... lots of pictures...

I would never disparage Mike Steven's most famous work, but will admit I've tried 3 times to read it & just can't get anywhere near the middle even... I think I'm too ADD... maybe it's time I tried again..

gg... nice machine.. and it would fit... but it's not correct either. The excavator has the tracks, and the single back-hoe style arm... and it is a weaker shape when extended. I wish I had a low view, looking up & a big excavator, with arm tucked in to fill a space... but playing with the 2 truck solution was my next best option. This ended up being a 'while-you-wait' revision, and i agreed to print today & install tomorrow... how's that? comes in Wednesday for a logo... wakes up Monday with 2 trucks ready for action...

Craig Sjoquist

Yup nice logo and layout, yes a bit busy but should work as long as client is happy.

how help with not being so busy in future ... busy background...plain clean fonts ..contrast
busy or fancy fonts on title...plain background ...contrast
fancy or serif font on title.... plain sans serif font for secondary minor copy ...contrast
bold vs thin ....contrast
same with color on this it's gold on gold no contrast which really makes it look busy to much of one color.
you know the story, you do this all the time, so get back on track lol lol

iSign

well, I got the prints done last night, lam'd and cut this morning, & installed by noon!

...not bad for 4 days from first meeting. I guess he had some vinyl cut at the local "Sign Pro" ...darn guys used intermediate & probably saved themselves $5 in vinyl... and cost this guy 30 minutes in labor... 4 of these trucker guys worked on the 2 doors & I cleaned glue off the Peterbilt, and got 2 logos & 6 lines of vinyl installed before they finished... then I finished one side, cleaned the glue off both (& charged him $75 more then I otherwise would have on some more decals he just ordered to cover it)

anyway, here's the "before" door graphics:

GypsyGraphics

WOW... that looks even better on the truck!

hey, did you make the truck in the graphic the same color as his trucks? NICE TOUCH!

really nice, they must have been thrilled

iSign

I did try to include a warm midtone background color in my first proof... and then a photo I had on file from lettering this same truck 5 years ago for another guy...

Dan Antonelli

I really like this. In spite of having a lot of elements and eye candy it's still legible You should have nixed the 'INC' though.
The clip art looks a bit forced - but not sure if there's better options.

Thanks for the book plug. It's funny you mention about Mike Stevens, and having a hard time getting through it. I also couldn't get through it, although I tried several times. While I have nothing but profound respect for his contributions to the craft, I tried when I wrote my books to keep them at an easy-to-understand level.

I'm trying to get underway with my third installment. I really don't know how I found the time to do the first two!

Rick

Certified Enneadecagon Designer
I hand sketch pretty loose too and then tighten it up quite a bit because I have better hand control than mouse control... problem with that is I need longer erasers on my pencils. I would occasional get chicken scratch drawing similar to this and I had to interpret them, I sometimes bombed....

Not a fan of clip-art, the sign is a massive improvement to what they have, and now they can add that to biz cards, tees... worth more than 500 bucks. they got a deal.

gnemmas

I am wondering would it looked better without the white outline around the logo. Great logo, it might look like hand painted without the white as the phone number shown. Now it looks like a "sticker".