• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Wait.....WHAT??????

jason_hamilton

So I was reading through some old threads trying to get some recomendations on banner material. I previously used Key 15oz. blockout, but recently changed to Ultraflexx because of some banding issues i was having. I'm having the same issues with them so I tried doing some research. I've seen more than once on here that Key is made basically side by side with Ultraflexx. In the same building by the same manufacturer. Can anyone confirm this????? If so, I'm going to have some strong questions for my distributor for pointing my towards Ultraflexx when they knew I wanted to change from Key!!!!!!!

Just throwing this out there... But sounds like if you are getting a consistent output between different materials it could this be a heat or profile setting?

jason_hamilton

I've been back and forth with the vendors and HP on that. It just seems so random. Some times I lower the temp and it goes away. Other times I raise the temp and it works. I've used the canned profiles and custom profiles. It is the exact same "streaks" in the exact same spot on both 15oz. materials (not on 13oz.) and on BOTH of my printers! It is driving me mad. I've been tweaking profiles since 7:00 this morning, and still not working.

jason_hamilton

It calibrates the substrate advance automatically. The streaks are from top to bottom as opposed to left to right. When I can get them to go away, it works fine for a while. Then they keep coming back. I'm printing with an HP L26500 if that helps with any suggestions. I'm trying to get a good picture of it to show.

jason_hamilton

You can see some of it here in a couple of different prints I've tried..... more bands.jpg

SeaWriter

Many of the good private label banner materials are the exact same as other larger brands labels. Particular when the product is coming from Korea. However someone like Ultraflex buys from various manufactures around the world to build a product range of different grades and budget materials. Same goes for self adhesive private label materials. Trouble is some local distributors try to hide this fact and start spitting out all sorts of interesting false claims.

BigfishDM

Merchant Member
I deal the Heytex line which is the only true MFG of Banner material that I know of, if you guys want the very best for your latex banner then the Heytex line is what your looking for. Its not cheap by any means but it is the most consistent brand on the market ad not many dealers have it. Pricing is available if your interested, they also make a few products for the big names our mentioning but it on the fabric side.

jason_hamilton

Worn out pinch rollers can cause what I'm seeing in the pic.
Snydo,
Would it cause the problem but then clear up and come back. Also, I get the same issue in the exact same location on two seperate machines. I have an HP tech coming out to check my printers ust to be on the safe side, but I just really have no idea what could be causing this issue...

bigben

Snydo,
Would it cause the problem but then clear up and come back. Also, I get the same issue in the exact same location on two seperate machines. I have an HP tech coming out to check my printers ust to be on the safe side, but I just really have no idea what could be causing this issue...

interesting. I will follow this because I have the same problem with the same printer from time to time. :popcorn:

GaSouthpaw

Profane and profane accessories.
My guess is the pinch rollers, too. And yes- I think on some materials it would be more evident because of the heat settings (material gets a little softer, so the marks show up).

rturner381

Weather issues?

I know this will sound simple, but weather issues can also contribute to your problems. i.e. HOT, COLD, WET, DRY in the storage area, as well as the print room. Similarly, shipping the media to you, the environment will mess with your media.

API

Don't think it is press related. Printing with a Fuji UViStar and am having the same issue with the same blockout material from Ultraflex. The streak comes and goes throughout the roll. My operator has put on 5 different rolls of the blockout material and it shows in all. Some worse than others. This is not the first time and I am feed up. I can put on any other material and no problem. Sucks when you print 20 prints perfect on one side and flip the material and the other side streaks!! I have sample rolls on my desk from Value Vinyl that I am getting ready to try.

jason_hamilton

My guess is the pinch rollers, too. And yes- I think on some materials it would be more evident because of the heat settings (material gets a little softer, so the marks show up).

But not just some materials. ONLY on 15oz. banners. I printed 2 yesterday morning back to back. First one was fine. Halfway through the second one, streaks!!! Then I spent the rest of the day trying to make them go away. I would start printing and see it in the first couple of passes and cancle the job. Make some changes to the profile, and tried all of HP's tips, and same thing. I even re-ripped the first file (the one that printed fine) and it streaked on it!!!!!

I ended up using a roll of old Key material that I had in my supply closet from before the switch to Ultraflexx that had just enough to run the second banner. It did ok..... If you know what you are looking for you can see it in one spot. I showed it to a few guys here in the shop and they couldn't find it. So, because of deadlines, I have to turn it out like that. I hate doing sub-par work for clients, but they wouldn't budge on delivery, so they are getting it as is.

Fits right in to my mantra. When a customer asks, "How long is this going to take"?

You can have it right, or you can have it right now........

jason_hamilton

I have sample rolls on my desk from Value Vinyl that I am getting ready to try.

Let me know what your thoughts are on Value. We are back to shopping around.

Does anyone here have any thoughts on Foward banner. Some folks mentioned that before on another post of mine.

Thank you everyone!!!!!!!!!!!

GaSouthpaw

Profane and profane accessories.
Sorry, I missed that it was one material only. In that case, I would guess a defect- a contaminant somewhere in their process is getting on the material. We had that happen with a roll of Sihl banner material- but it was something like every four feet, there'd be a streak where the inks wouldn't adhere. Our supplier replaced the roll for us. Hopefully yours will come through- though the whole Ultraflex=Key I'm disappointed in. I usually had good results with Ultraflex, but not so much with Key (as much as the boss' pocketbook wanted me to).

jason_hamilton

It seems to be at least some on every roll. It has been very frustrating. HP wants to blame the substrate. My vendors say it has to be HP since it has happened on Key and Ultraflexx.

This buck is getting really crumpled from all the passing!

BigfishDM

Merchant Member
If anyone wants a sample of the best latex banner I have seen so far let me know, its not the cheapest but its really good and most importantly its consistent since its made by the only true Banner MFG that I know of.

Snydo

If anyone wants a sample of the best latex banner I have seen so far let me know, its not the cheapest but its really good and most importantly its consistent since its made by the only true Banner MFG that I know of.

I would reccomend a 'latex' banner material, I refuse to do banners on our L25500 if they are over 8' in length, too much waste in material and time. I can ram it through one of our eco-sols and be hemming it before the HP would start printing.
This printer just simply is not compatible with some medias especially lower rung medias...period. And as others have said weather, barometer, humidity or lack there of in the air can hugely impact behavior.

I have ran Mutoh, Mimaki and Epson solvent based printers for going on a decade and as I have said in other posts, I hate almost everything about latex printers, other than the high quality prints they produce.