• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

walk away

MatthewTimothy

So im getting my bachelors in Software Development and i graduate this spring. Im really excited. Lately our career center has been sending me jobs to bid on for extra freelance work. No problem right?? WRONG, all i get is low ballers and people that want work for min wage rates. I Already told the career center im not wasting my time.

Well a couple of weeks back they say they have this print owner of a company that is wanting a new site with eCommerce functions. I say no problem im actually building a few at the moment. So i ask the general questions, what all you want, how many products listed and it came to like 300 items on a site. Well then he throws it at me that he has already bought a template and hosting from this crappy eCommerce solution. I say ok, i can build you a catalog then no problem but that you wont own the catalog because all content will be owned by the eCommerce company because you are just renting space really. Well then he says no, i want a site then.

So we meet for two weeks and i told him UPFRONT just for the site it will probably run X amount. Well last week i bring the contract and he says, well i want samples first, i told the career center no and that before i do anything else the contract has to be signed.

Well a couple of days ago he then meets with me at the school and says he doesnt want to do the site cause its too much. Even after ive already stated it will range around X and i have spent 6 hours meeting with him just to be able to price it. I think im just going to cut my losses and walk away. If he asks for anything else i will ask him to pay for my 6 hours time already. Further more he should know better owning a print company.

Last edited:

CanuckSigns

1st - paragraphs, use them.

2nd - If you started working on the site before you had a signed contract and a deposit, that's your fault. Consider it a pretty cheap lesson in business. As you spend more time in this business, you will learn how to read customers and weed out the tire kickers from the profitable ones.

My advise would be to walk away and if he contacts you again, tell him websites START at $xxx and for that you would get ______ you would need a deposit of $xx before proceeding.

MatthewTimothy

1st - paragraphs, use them.

2nd - If you started working on the site before you had a signed contract and a deposit, that's your fault. Consider it a pretty cheap lesson in business. As you spend more time in this business, you will learn how to read customers and weed out the tire kickers from the profitable ones.

My advise would be to walk away and if he contacts you again, tell him websites START at $xxx and for that you would get ______ you would need a deposit of $xx before proceeding.

1. no problem

2. i never actually started the site

3. will do

mikefine

What do you think -- the perfect client is going to walk through the door of a career center? You see it as a negative experience, and I see it as a great opportunity. It's a gift... paid gig, portfolio piece and you haven't even graduated yet. Get off your high horse. Get his absolute top budget, and tell him what you would be reasonably willing to do within his budget. Or ask him how he can pay you in other ways, like referring you to his clients? Or just refer or outsource it to one of your friends. I am sure one of your fellow students would see gold in this opportunity.

MatthewTimothy

What do you think -- the perfect client is going to walk through the door of a career center? You see it as a negative experience, and I see it as a great opportunity. It's a gift... paid gig, portfolio piece and you haven't even graduated yet. Get off your high horse. Get his absolute top budget, and tell him what you would be reasonably willing to do within his budget. Or ask him how he can pay you in other ways, like referring you to his clients? Or just refer or outsource it to one of your friends. I am sure one of your fellow students would see gold in this opportunity.

never said i had a high horse and further more ive already stated and asked his budget and he would not disclose an actual amount. second i told him upfront what the cost would range and he said no problem.

Hicalibersigns

Welcome to the wonderful world of business.

Best description of business came from one of my former bosses. He said, "Business is real simple; you sell it for more than it costs, more often than not."

You won't win them all, but don't be too quick to write this one off. I can't tell you how often I have said to myself, "well that one's gone." only to have them call me a couple of months later and say they were ready to do business.

Be professional and courteous, but never loose sight of the fact that the business of all businesses is to make money.

The customer isn't always right, but they are always the customer.

MatthewTimothy

Welcome to the wonderful world of business.

Best description of business came from one of my former bosses. He said, "Business is real simple; you sell it for more than it costs, more often than not."

You won't win them all, but don't be too quick to write this one off. I can't tell you how often I have said to myself, "well that one's gone." only to have them call me a couple of months later and say they were ready to do business.

Be professional and courteous, but never loose sight of the fact that the business of all businesses is to make money.

The customer isn't always right, but they are always the customer.

well said sir. thanks.

CanuckSigns

2. i never actually started the site

I fail to see the problem, yes he wasted 6 hours of your time, but you were the one who allowed him to do so.

Every shop has a different way of handling these types of customers, some will send him packing as soon as he stars to become a pain in the a**, others will let him know that time spent "consulting" after the quote has been given, will be billed at the hourly rate, you can than choose to refund this charge if you end up getting the job.

I think I would tell him that his concerns and questions are all things that will be dealt with after a deposit has been received. A lawyer won't give out free legal advise just because you tell him you will hire him, you have to pay a retainer.

Just a few options to think about.

MatthewTimothy

I fail to see the problem, yes he wasted 6 hours of your time, but you were the one who allowed him to do so.

Every shop has a different way of handling these types of customers, some will send him packing as soon as he stars to become a pain in the a**, others will let him know that time spent "consulting" after the quote has been given, will be billed at the hourly rate, you can than choose to refund this charge if you end up getting the job.

I think I would tell him that his concerns and questions are all things that will be dealt with after a deposit has been received. A lawyer won't give out free legal advise just because you tell him you will hire him, you have to pay a retainer.

Just a few options to think about.

thanks and this is what i will do, perfect!!

CanuckSigns

never said i had a high horse and further more ive already stated and asked his budget and he would not disclose an actual amount. second i told him upfront what the cost would range and he said no problem.

I think it was Dan Antonelli who shared this tip for getting a budget out of a customer

You: Do you have a budget set aside for this project?

Customer: Not really

You: Ok, well lets say you had $5000 to spend on this, we could offer you this...

Customer: $5000!!!!!! I only wanted to spend half of that!!

You now have a budget.

Locals Find!

Sounds like your client had some UN-forseen financial issue arise. Basically he had the money to pay at first and now he doesn't. That kinda crap happens sometimes. Be polite and just let him know your there if he would like to try again down the road. Pad your 6 hours into the new quote in the future and chalk it up to experience.

Last edited:

Techman

That guy came to a training center looking for a cheap alternative.

I bet he has tried so many other way to get his work done. All failed to meet his needs. So now he is looking around for something, anything on the cheap to get his project going. He has no confidence in anyone. He sees your work but has no feeling of worth in it. He has not been properly stimulate.

Your next step is getting some real world marketing and selling techniques. Then build a bizz model from which to operate. Stick to it. Follow it. And soon the you will reach those who fit you best. All the rest will self disqualify.

Yes there are lots of really good technicians out there. And almost all of them have no, none, nada,, time training to sell their work.

That is the real sin of a graduate program. They give lots of good training in technique but none in business operation.

I opened my first bizz long ago and was a good technician. I almost starved. After learning a few bizz selling techniques my income rose with every new lesson. IT took a reality check to get myself into the right path.

Some say build a portfolio. But that portfolio means nothing when the client has no idea if you can understand enough to meet his needs or not. Learning to articulate that you know and understand his needs will sell you better than some pretty pictures in a book.

I use no portfolio. I have no pretty picture book. All I have is a little office and a work sheet that asks specific questions designed to bring out the client and his triggers. That is it. The rest was learning how to reach the client through meeting his needs. That is what a good business training course will do for you.

Marlene

if you do nothing more in life, would you please start using your shift button to take the time to make your "i" into a proper "I" and also use it to add apostrophe between your i and m's. reading your posts gives others the feeling that you aren't heading into the wonder world of professionals but are still a texting kid of some sort. sorry to be so harsh but it is annoying.

J

john1

I think it was Dan Antonelli who shared this tip for getting a budget out of a customer

You: Do you have a budget set aside for this project?

Customer: Not really

You: Ok, well lets say you had $5000 to spend on this, we could offer you this...

Customer: $5000!!!!!! I only wanted to spend half of that!!

You now have a budget.

LOL! i love that post.

phototec

I use no portfolio. I have no pretty picture book. All I have is a little office and a work sheet that asks specific questions designed to bring out the client and his triggers.

Hey Techman,

Care to share the those work sheet questions with us, :signs101:so we may learn from the master?

:thankyou:

MatthewTimothy

if you do nothing more in life, would you please start using your shift button to take the time to make your "i" into a proper "I" and also use it to add apostrophe between your i and m's. reading your posts gives others the feeling that you aren't heading into the wonder world of professionals but are still a texting kid of some sort. sorry to be so harsh but it is annoying.

I would be happy to. I got lazy in some browser's ability to automatically update my posts. :Oops: