• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

wall decal materials survey

jpena9137

Hi all, I am looking to see what materials some of you guys that do wall graphics use in different scenarios. Right now, we are just using oracal 631 for one color wall decals. We are thinking about getting into printed decals and hear very positive things about Photo Tex. What would you all use on the following kinds of surfaces:

Glass -
Drywall -
Textured Drywall -
Wood -
Vehicle -
Painted Concrete -
Floor -

Thanks!

Biker Scout

I was one of the first to use PhotoTex. Loved it. However there are now other products on the market that I think might be a bit better. At least yield a brighter image than PhotoTex did.

There is one that I can't think of the name, but it's pretty popular, and some test pieces were even placed on the Blue Angels or Thunderbirds, and doesn't come off. But it's a fabric and easily removable too!

Checkout the full line of MacTac wall graphic products. I think they have the most of anybody.

Photo Tex

If your looking for a brighter white point - We now offer Photo Tex (OPA) Opaque version and happy to send a free sample to see the brighter white point and this is also a block-out. Water Base/UV/ Latex inks - Photo Tex -OPA is now in stock and the OPAS (solvent) is due in around March! Also always check the technical information and you can see where we stand out or e-mail me directly and I will share with you a direct comparison. walterjr@phototexgroup.com

Biker Scout

OK, was that a plug for Instant One Media? Seriously, this thread is about wall vinyl and that is typically a matte finish or a coated fabric of some kind. Instant One Media is only 1 product of calendared vinyl, and lamination. If I'm not mistaken, their parent company sells that appliance wrap vinyl and faux marble vinyl as well?

:thread

knucklehead

The new opaque version is great. Big improvement over the original.

I have a print on a burgundy wall, and you can't tell the background colorthrough the print. And, it does have some white(non-printed), and very light blue colors in it.

Sign Eagle

We go thru a lot of Avery wall material, it's 6mil th, hides well and easy to handle. We got order with art on the Friday before Thanksgiving and needed to print and install about 5000 sq ft on a wall 350ft long x 14 ft high before Thanksgiving and could not install during the day. Printed on HP L25500 and 2 of us installed over 3 evenings, finished 4am Wed .

GaSouthpaw

Profane and profane accessories.
Glass - (Depending on use), we go with our "regular" clear from General Formulations.
Drywall - We used Oracal 3628 on an interior install last year and it fell off the wall. Never saw the wall myself (I'm the inside graphics guy, not the installer), so no clue what kind of shape it was in.
Textured Drywall - We used Arlon DPF 8000. It worked great in the field, but there's no way I'd recommend it. We tried three different rolls from two different suppliers, and all three had adhesive residue on the face of the material. When we rejected the first two, Arlon's response was "just wipe it off". (Which reminded me of Avery's attitude in the late 90s-early 2000's when they had the same problem- and which caused me to stop using their product unless it was specifically requested). Our "regular" digital supplier suggested Sihl's new 3220/3221, but we haven't tried it yet.
Wood - If it primed, we use our standard decal material from General Formulations.
Vehicle - I prefer 3M IJ180, and we've had success with Oracal 3751.
Painted Concrete - Our most recent install on a painted cinder block wall was the Arlon DPF8000.
Floor - Haven't done one in more than two years. I don't remember!