• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Wall graphics job

MikePatterson

Head bathroom cleaner.
We just did a 9X60 wall in a photo studio for a car dealer and charged 8.50 sq ft. The wall was painted with Bear interior flat and was slick wall no texture. We ended up using avery 1105z with matte lam. I did an adhesion test and believe it or not the avery showed the best results of material tested and would last the longest 10+ years. I tested 5 different combinations of 3m, Oracal, Avery both air egress and traditional. Traditional had faster adhesion but was harder to install. Oracal 3651RA with matte 210 was a good choice too but I have had some issues with 210 gloss delaminating after a few years and didn't want a redo with a company that spends 150K a year with me. We were not worried about damage to the wall upon removal so PhotoTex was not considered.

thezigman

Sign maker near Chicago
this wall is covered with white melamine. That paneling type stuff they use in bathrooms. Its pretty smooth and clean. Seems like adhesion shouldn't be an issue. but I don't know since this is new to me...
I am also wondering if I really even need to use a vinyl for wall graphics, because I don't think my customer has any plans to remove it ( I'll check today) And if I do this job, would you recommend I laminate it? Its an interior wall, behind a service counter area. I doubt it would get much contact from anyone or anything that may scratch it.

Gkgrafx

It doesn't.
If it's a new project I tell the builders what paint to use.
If it's an existing wall I go do an adhesion test to avoid embarrassing failures.
I 100% agree with you. If they haven't painted the walls yet i would tell the customer to use a paint with a higher VOC %. But always do an adhesion test you can buy a kit to measure the adhesion.

CSOCSO

I don't hate paint, I just overlay it.
I used the avery one on textured wall. Very hard to install without lamination and transfer tape because the vinyl is SUPER thin.
I had the best luck with busmark. no lamination, no transfer tape. Just the perfect thickness. Very forgiving. Doesn't stretch like crazy. Super easy to install. i as doing 10ft panel in a few minutes!
You might want to request a sample from these vinyl and always pre test the wall you need to wrap!
Shittiest filling is when you get to the job with everything printed and you realize that the material falls off the wall.
if you have low VOC wall use Arlon Dpf8000. This thing is crazy sticky!!!!