• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Wall Vinyl NOT sticking

daenterpri

We did a large interior vinyl install for a customer today. I've never had such a problem with large interior vinyl before. We used Oracal 631 like we normally use. We wiped down the walls (though the walls were only painted a few weeks ago). During the installation, the edges kept coming off the walls. I ended up tacking tape up on the corners until I got some advice.

Would the adhesive activate better if I heated it up?
Is there an adhesive that I could spray on the back?

Any other recommendations?

Attachments

• jeb1.jpg
    jeb1.jpg
    38.6 KB · Views: 518
  • jeb2.jpg
    jeb2.jpg
    51 KB · Views: 321
  • jeb3.jpg
    jeb3.jpg
    33.6 KB · Views: 365
  • jeb4.jpg
    jeb4.jpg
    35.6 KB · Views: 329

HulkSmash

When was the wall painted? Typically you want to wait a while before apply any type of vinyl. I'm not sure that's your issue though. Maybe the texture. try adding some heat.

good luck

briankb

Premium Subscriber
I've never had a problem with 631. And it looks like it's only with the black vinyl from the pics.

Is the White or Neon also 631 and also peeling?

Have you tried applying that same black vinyl on a wall at your shop?

Bly

1. Too much texture. That surface is too rough.
2. Calendared vinyl won't conform to any texture really.
3. Removable adhesive to complete the trifecta.

radiohead223

i'd be asking what sort of paint was it done in.... i have seen a lot of places now painting with teflon paints which vinyl will never adhere to

if you have any of the 631 left try it on some other walls to test it

you can to the fish scale test if you have a set of those around.

stick a strip to the wall and connect the scales to it and slowly pull it off the wall and see how much pressure it needs to be removed

MikePro

i always go over all my wall applications thoroughly with a heat gun and a foam roller, especially with this much texture. the little bit of extra care may have made this install work... still might fix it, couldn't hurt.

daenterpri

I tried installing the same brown material on my own home this evening, not a problem and we have a heavy knockdown finish. I applied some heat to the same test strip and it certainly made the adhesive more tacky. I think I'm going to go back to the customers tonight to go over everything with heat.

Thanks for the tips guys!

GAC05

Quit buggin' me
Did you clean the wall with any type of cleaning solution or just wipe it down dry?

I had some paint (that had dried at least a month or more) react to a mild alcohol cleaning solution that resulted in nothing being able to stick to the surface.
This was exterior Latex (I think).

wayne k
guam usa

daenterpri

I had some paint (that had dried at least a month or more) react to a mild alcohol cleaning solution that resulted in nothing being able to stick to the surface.

I was afraid of that happening so we just wiped the wall down good with microfiber rags. No solutions :)

briankb

Premium Subscriber
If it's a tack or adhesion problem with 631 on that wall type. Why is it only curling on one color?

J

john1

Heat it up and see how it stays down. Nothing to lose at this point.

you should wait at least a month on any wall paints so i've been told. the texture looks kinda rough as pointed out also, which doesn't help any.

RebeckaR

Too much texture.
The heat might help some to get it to stick for now, but eventually it's gonna come down.

daenterpri

Went back this evening to apply heat. The whole right side
Of the decal had already fallen down. :(

The rest of the brown was peeling as well. I started applying heat to the brown and pressing it down with a cloth. Initially it looks amazing, almost like it's become part of the wall. As I'm typing though, some of the edges are starting to come up again.

Is there another product I should have used on a rough wall like this? Maybe even a printable wall vinyl?

daenterpri

I noticed that Arlons DPF 8000 can be applied to textured surfaces, including brick, with high heat. Should I print and try something like that?

ProWraps

I noticed that Arlons DPF 8000 can be applied to textured surfaces, including brick, with high heat. Should I print and try something like that?

not unless you want to remove the drywall with it when its time to take it down.

180c/8518 with a hot install. you will be fine. torch with a rolliepro will do the trick if you want to go cheap on the tools.

8519, or 8520 if you want to cut down on the glare or go full matte.