• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Wall Vinyl NOT sticking

daenterpri

not unless you want to remove the drywall with it when its time to take it down.

180c/8518 with a hot install. you will be fine. torch with a rolliepro will do the trick if you want to go cheap on the tools.

8519, or 8520 if you want to cut down on the glare or go full matte.

Thanks! It looks like this is just a cut vinyl, correct? If so, why would I need to laminate?

briankb

Premium Subscriber
Is it an option to wait a few weeks and try again?

If the brown vinyl is working on other walls but not this one. It would seem it's an issue with the paint vapor or whatever chemical is preventing it from properly bonding to the wall.

visual800

I do alot of lettering at the local mals on painted sheetrock i use oracal 651, I paint the walls in eggshell, the vinyl will not stick to flat. it is a bitch to get on the wall Im not gonna lie. not a press and peel kind of situation. I also make sure my walls are smooth and not painted with thick roller.

if the walls are painted by someone else they are repainted by me cause they will nto be done in such a way that would require easy lettering. I do know for a fact alos that laminated print will not stick to a wall they have to be non laminated

Anicom

Could be that the paint is on very thick and hasn't had a chance to fully cure under the surface yet. We had this happen during a job where we requested high-gloss paint and a min. of 5 days for outgassig/drying. They slapped on the paint very thick and our murals were failing within a week while murals on the same media on sintra elsewhere in the store were perfect. It took some detective work to figure out about the paint...it was very thick in some spots and while the surface was dry, it was still tacky underneath. About the only you can do if this is the case is to wait....you may need to use some spray adhesive if you plan on using the same graphics to get them to stay on properly.

Wall prep is everything, needs to be smooth, high gloss paint(semi-gloss minimum) and needs to dr for at least 5 days (preferably longer)

By the way, I always use 3M IJ180C for long term large murals (print) and am now using IJ40c for mid-to long term smaller murals (also print). They cost a bit more but out of hundreds of murals we've done, we've never had a failure due to the vinyl and for us and our clients that worth it's wait in gold.

Just wanted to let you know I am having the same issue. But these walls were painted months ago. I'm thinking because it's in a call center area there is just too much traffic?

daenterpri

If I go with a cast material with a better tack, like the 3M 180C, and go with a matte laminate (why would I need a laminate again?), would it hide overlaps? Right now, this Oracal 631 hides the overlaps very well.

BigfishDM

Merchant Member
You could try using some kind of edge seal around the borders but it might not want to come up if you do that.

petepaz

1. Too much texture. That surface is too rough.
2. Calendared vinyl won't conform to any texture really.
3. Removable adhesive to complete the trifecta.

+1 to all that and another problem is maybe it has to do with the type of paint they used. i had that happen with a customer once. i used 651 vinyl and i did it for them orignally no problems and then they repainted and i re-did the same job but this time it wouldn't stick. the only thing i could figure is there was an incompatability with the paint

skdave

The wall paint is the issue. Wall paint can out gas for many weeks This happened to me with photo tex.

visual800

Im a dumbass, NOW I see the photos, the walls are too rough! plain and simple. DO NOT use spray adhesive thats the worst advice you could take. At this point my friend I would paint the logo on. OR either its repaint the whole wall and recut the graphics.

If you gonna paint the logo at lest you got a pattern there to go buy

daenterpri

If I was to put digital printed graphics on the wall using a cast, high performance film, would I need to laminate those graphics? Or would it matter?