• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

"Warranty" for truck lettering

fresh

What do you say (without snark) when someone asks, in writing, what your cut-vinyl vehicle lettering warranty is?

Modern Ink Signs

Premium Subscriber
To start let me clarify that we use CAST vinyl only on vehicle lettering...

We tell our clients that the vinyl we are using on their vehicle is an (insert manufactures years here). We will warranty our installation for 1 year. Giving that we don't know how the client will maintain their vehicle(s) plays a part in how long the graphics will last. I then go one to tell them that if they have a problem to contact us immediately, however form my years of experience they should not have any problems given that we are starting with a quality product. Combine that with our installation knowledge and they have great looking vehicle(s) that look good and last for years.

bannertime

"We don't offer warranties on any of our products. There are many factors that play into how long they'll last. The materials we use are rated for ## years, and we've seen them last much long and occasionally barely hit that mark. On the off chance that something does go wrong with an install, we'll typically know within a few months. At that point, bring it back in and so we can determine if it was a fault in the material, install, or maintenance. From there we can have make the changes necessary, possibly at no charge, if the issue stems from the material or installation."

If they push, we ask how long they plan to have the vehicle. Typically it's only a few years "okay then by the time the graphics may fade or crack, you won't have it anymore. If it's longer, we say something about how it'll have made them enough money to put new graphics on anyway.

I've never had to redo a vehicle. Rarely have we even been asked about a warranty.

bob

It's better to have two hands than one glove.
Cast, calendared, or solid blocks of platinum, all vehicles get our standard 5/50 guarantee. 5 minutes or 50 miles per hour, which ever occurs first. All stationary work gets just the 5.

Billct2

Haven't been asked more than a handful of times in 40 years, for any product. If someone does ask I use the same info as Modern. The few times I've had a problem we fixed it.

We use only cast vinyl and express no warranty on our vinyl products, but simply give the customer the manufacturer's rating and also explain that the rating is an average life expectancy with factors like climate, maintenance, and indoor/outdoor storage potentially adding or subtracting from the life of the vinyl. In six years we've only had one cast vinyl failure that was brought to our attention. Oddly, we still don't know what caused it. It was a set of cast vinyl decals applied to windows on either side of a van. They were fine for two years and then suddenly the decals on one side just bubbled and started releasing from the window almost overnight. My guess was (A) parked too close to a heat source or (B) the vehicle got sprayed with crop dusting chemicals. It was bizarre and we'll likely never know what caused it, but since it failed in less than two years, we replaced it for free.

In one other instance, we did have an suv with a back window decal that started to come off in small pieces around the edges after only two years. It wasn't really a material failure because the guy said the car was never kept clean, stored outside, and he used the wipers all the time, because sloshing mud and debris around with the wipers didn't concern him much. We did not replace that one for free and he was understanding about it.

decalman

I disclose the vinyl type. They choose it. I did my job. There's no guarantee.
Sunshine and wax and other factors, affect the longevity greatly.

untitled

I tell my clients if they ever have a problem with any of their vehicle decals just let me know and I will take care of it. None of them have ever come back with an issue. That being said the majority of my clients have been with me since I started 12 years ago and are larger construction type companies that have many trucks and replace them every 4-5 years. By that time the trucks are in such bad shape that the decals didn't come off on their own, they came off because of the abuse of the truck.

The way I look at it is that vinyl is cheap. Make it easy for the client so that they know they are taken care of and the work will keep rolling in. The cost of replacing a set of decals is not much compared to the amount of work they bring in.

v0y4ger

12 months on flat applications, 3-6 months on curved depending on the substrate.

If it’s an awkward install I’ll point the limited warranty out beforehand