• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

warranty

WOODBS

just wondering if any of you guys bought into the extended warraty of the roland versacamm? i have heard of different views. i am leaning toward not. thanks b

Techman

when you first get it that printer,, do the warranty thing., Then use it.. CAll that dude over and get him to show you about 42 different things. Then after you had the machine for about 2 years then lose the extended warranty. By then , all the major junk willbe fixed and you can handle the minor stuff.

player

It depends on who is setting up and maintaining the machine.

My machine was very very defective from the dealer, who set it up completely wrong. It would not have mattered how many times I got them in, the printer would not work after they left. This went on for 2 years until I figured out that the Roland maintanence from my dealer was a scam. They did not set it up correctly and they keep it that way.

Also the versacamms have a few defects, like the cross contamination of the colors because they share a cap.

Also the printer "spits" ink into the sponge every pass. This causes misting and fogs up the encoder strip. It can be cleaned only once.

Over the period there were also things like defective pumps, dampers that could not take the Max inks, etc. Before that it was the regular inks not sticking to the materials.

Also the cutters are not as good as I thought. They do work ok, but a Graphtec is a much more accurate and faster cutter than the built in one that comes with the versacamms.

Then there is the slow docking and undocking routine that becomes very annoying...

My 2 cents.

GregT

I jsut purchased the warranty again for this year. My SP300 has be worked on quite a bit. The dealer stops out on a regular basis to check itout. It has not worked for more that 3 months at a time. I use te warranty to my benefit.

threeputt

We never had the tech out during the the initial factory warranty period. We declined the yearly maintenance offer ($2,000 per year) after that. We have had the tech out twice more since. The two visits cost about about $800.00 and $285.00 respectively, but I learned a lot watching him.

We hope to run another year without seeing the tech.

threeputt

Player, is there some way to protect that area where the printer "spits" ink onto the sponge? We occasionally have to clean the encoder strip but always thought it was from dust and other contaminants.

Do you think it would be possible to sort of mask that area so ink can't fly onto the strip? What have you done to control/eliminate this problem?

WOODBS

yeah , i have had my tech out a couple of times in the last year but for minor stuff. i just noticed a weird sound while printing, like a loud click?? not good i imagine...i will get my last call in asap

geedub

the pump on ours just died and apparently the printer is 14 months old. it's an alright printer, but it's already had to have one head replaced and now the magenta is having problems as well. I clean the thing but no one wants to pay for replacement parts that i keep asking for, so it's just going to get run into the ground.

i think if it's taken care of properly, cleaned pretty religiously and taken apart and cleaned maybe once a month, and keeping head strikes to a minimum, the heads should last a lot longer than 14 months.

hoppers

Reviving this thread from the depths -

Not to ask if I should get the extended warranty or not, but I heard the extended warranty price has gone up for Roland. Has anyone else heard the same?

Not sure of the price increase yet, but just a heads up. I was quoted the older price of $995 for an extra year on my SP300V, luckily I got in before it went up.

Ps - I AM getting the extended warranty at least for 1 more year, I feel that I only had the machine for 5 months and still want 1 more year of having someone else oncall (if something goes horribly wrong). Im sure others might feel different after 5 months but to me it is worth it for the extra year peace of mind. Granted the past 5 months it has run great (I clean it often), but if I didnt get it - Im sure Murphys law would bite me within 3 days. ha

-Matt

Capital Signs

In my experience of having my SP-540V, I have had a positive experience. Everytime that my tech came out, he would make me aware of how to fix the problem, the majority of the time, encoder strip, and sensor... Then got the service manual, learned how to make adjustments, and overall, SIGNS101 has fixed the problems before tech showed up.

P

ProWraps™

buy a mutoh. plug it in, turn it on, and print like theres no tomorrow. have had two of them. they work flawlessly.

hoppers

I got in before the price increase, but my rep said it would have been $1295 instead of $995...so not sure if someone wants to confirm this with Roland, but that is a painful % increase. Granted mine is for the smaller SP300V of Rolands too...while the VP and 540's prob have a bigger jump in price.