• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Wasatch SoftRip 6.5 Crop Marks

jdlackey

We are using Wasatch 6.5 printing to a Mutoh VJ1614. Relatively problem free.
Friday afternoon I started a print job for a customer wanting 40 identical posters on Solvex Gloss Paper. I got 18 printed Friday. This morning, I began to run the rest and realized I had a problem.

The prints from Friday all had the "T" shaped crop marks that Wasatch produces between images to make cutting easy with multiple images in the layout. This morning, those marks were gone. The tickbox for these marks pretty much stays checked for every job we don't contour cut (we use the registration marks for our plotter for those jobs.). Called Fellers Tech Support and they had me delete all the files from the printques through WIndows. (Takes forever in Wasatch to do) as well as a file called "job.ps". Restarted the RIP and tried again. Still the same results.

Any Ideas?

Thanks
Jeremy

jdlackey

Checked

Under the layout tab, look on the left side under "unit options".

Is "crop marks" checked?

Just double checked. It is checked in the unit options as well as the Print setup (blue gears).

Fellers Tech is supposed to be calling Wasatch, but said they don't support older versions. We'll see. He said our next option would be to reinstall the RIP. Not looking forward to that. My image still looks like it's in the right place, so I may have to just measure and move on until we get it figured out.

Any other ideas?

Attachments

• Crop Mark settings.jpg
    Crop Mark settings.jpg
    54.3 KB · Views: 213
  • LayoutView.jpg
    LayoutView.jpg
    36.2 KB · Views: 142
Last edited:

jdlackey

Figured it out but it isn't fixed

It's an issue with the ink not the RIP. Crops weren't printing because NO black was printing. I noticed there were no crop marks and stopped the print before it got that far. I did a nozzle check for the heck of it and got two very small lines in the black section, C,M,Y look fine. Head looks fine. The black ink flow tubes to the resevoir on the print head look like there's an air pocket in there. The Yellow appears to have a small one too. Anyone know what's normal?

Attachments

• inkhead.jpg
    inkhead.jpg
    427.9 KB · Views: 139

FatCat

Air getting into your line is due to either a leak somewhere in the ink train from a leak in the line or a fitting somewhere or a poor seal at the head/capping station.

Double check to make sure you have everything spotlessly clean around the head and capping station. Also, capping stations do wear out eventually as the rubber seal becomes less flexible over time and doesn't seal as well. They also can be out of alignment preventing a tight seal.

If that isn't it then you may have a small crack in that ink lines somewhere or possibly a loose fitting that you will need to trace down.

jdlackey

I did clean well around the cap and the runoff trough that is directly under the squeegee blade. Also did a head soak overnight. It seems to be working fine now.

Also did a "little fill" through the printer menu to refill the subtanks and take the air out of the lines.

Thanks for the help!

Jeremy