• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Water based adhesive vinyl

gabagoo

My Proveer location has a calendered vinyl with a block out grey adhesive which has a water based adhesive.

What are the ramifications of using this product for temporary or short term signage and decals in general?

gabagoo

OK, lets take it a step farther...because the adhesive is a water based formula...what would happen if I were to use soap and water to put them down on coro and let dry. Would the stuff peel off early or resolidify and stick as normal.
I really dont understand why they are changing to this product if it is clearly problematic.

gabagoo

Who is changing to that product?

Water based adhesive has it's place.... for economical, temporary or short term graphics.

Water based adhesive is not recommended for applications where it will get wet. IE wet application or outdoor long term.

Not so Pat... I just got off the phone with my buddy who was a GF sales rep and it seems the premium concept digital vinyl by General Formualtions is indeed water based.
I have used that for over 6 years with no issues so I guess the stuff is fine.... as to the why use water and soap?

Every 4 months or so I have to do a pile of 12" x 12" coro signs for a home builder and even though I could print them on a 4x8 sheet and apply with the laminator to coro, I find that if I cut them up seperately and stick down on a pre cut 12 x 12 we actually get them done faster. I could do them dry but wet is much faster with that quantity.
leave them overnight and the morning they are ready to go and it is something for someone with not a lot of experiece to do rather easily.

J

john1

Yep, Holds up fine and you can wet apply it.

I have wet applied the GF vinyls for years with no issues. Yard signs, magnets, window decals ect.

The economy grade vinyls in most vendor companies anymore are avery or general formulations just rebranded. It sounds like it's one of the GF vinyls because they have a economy grade vinyl with a grey adhesive.

For cheapo print/cut stickers you can't beat the economy grade vinyls, yeah they shrink over the course of a few months but nobody is going to pay a premium for some promotional stickers and these still do hold up just fine. I switched to 3165ra recently for all my stuff though, It's not much more, shrinks less and lays down better.

wait...somehow it is easier to cut the coro and cut the 12x12s and then apply to boards vs print 4x8 and apply once and then cut once?

Or are we talking about unskilled help?

gabagoo

wait...somehow it is easier to cut the coro and cut the 12x12s and then apply to boards vs print 4x8 and apply once and then cut once?

Or are we talking about unskilled help?

OK I forgot to mention that I have about 2000 offcuts of 12" x 24" coro that has been sitting around...This is why...cause I cheap and want the stuff used up!!!! lol

petepaz

i have a customer i make graphics for and they apply themselves to their products. they apply wet. normally i use 3651 (solvent based adhesive) they gave me a rush order one time and i was out so i used the 3164 water based adhesive and the decals ended up curling before they could get the product shipped out. nothing changed from the equation so all we could come up with is the soapy water broke down the adhesive. don't know if that is what really happened but never had the problem again as long as we use the solvent based adhesive

gabagoo

i have a customer i make graphics for and they apply themselves to their products. they apply wet. normally i use 3651 (solvent based adhesive) they gave me a rush order one time and i was out so i used the 3164 water based adhesive and the decals ended up curling before they could get the product shipped out. nothing changed from the equation so all we could come up with is the soapy water broke down the adhesive. don't know if that is what really happened but never had the problem again as long as we use the solvent based adhesive

Did the decals have a bleed cut? this would be an issue with a cheaper vinyl....but as mentioned..General Formulations, although water based was a premium calendered with a 5 year outdoor life...

J

john1

The 201 and 203 are 5 year UNPRINTED films. I have some out a few years and look good still.

4R Graphics

I did a wrap 4 or 5 months ago as a short term thing and to see if I could do it with Oracal 3640. Oracal 3640 is a waterbased adhesive no air release. We laminated with Oracal 210
I installed it wet almost no soap and it has been Sun beat, rained on and driven in the rain at interstate speeds and other than the overlaps showing shrinkage have had no problems.

DO NOT bash me for doing this I know better it was just a lets see if we can do it thing and was only suppose to be on for 2 months.