• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Water Tank Installation

ABPGraphics

Hi,

I am about to letter a water tank for the local fire dept - They are using reflective red - in the past - my shop had been using 3M 680 series Scotchlite plus relfective w/ control tac. - My question - is this a right reflective to use or is this overkill - It is quite expensive...I dont mind the price i just adjust my retail pricing to reflect the cost.. but I am still wondering is there a reflective out there that you would say is more cost effective with comparable qualities or should I stick with what I have ....or for that matter should I be using something completey different:thankyou:

ABPGraphics

On the tanker doors (similar to semi truck doors) and midway up the tank - maybe 5' off the ground..... 6" stripes and 8" copy

jscarl

The water truck!!! I thought you were talking the water tower. hahahaha Could not understand the reflective bit, Long day, thanks for the laugh.

Visual.Elements

on a side note, do they have the DOT Tape as well? That stuff needs to be replaced if it starts peeling, etc. That's another thing to double check for your customer any time you're working with commercial vehicles. DOT tape is required by federal law. I noticed one my cleints had not replaced his. I mentioned it to him, he shrugged it off and said, naw, not right now. He was back 2 days later with a ticket in hand, saying, "I should have listened to you." Ever since, he's instructed all his crew to double check all DOT tape, etc and automatically says yes any time we mention a strip damaged or missing.

Mosh

Fire trucks in NE must have a 4" reflective stripe on the sides and cheves (sp) on the back.

ABPGraphics

It is a metal tanker - I will have to find out more about the striping specs - It does already have the DOT tape surrounding the sides and back - the fire chief was talking about removing the tape though - I will talk to him today - THANK YOU really good catch on the DOT tape that is required

Gino

Premium Subscriber
:ROFLMAO: I thought he meant a water tank when he opened with this thread. I couldn't figure it out either. That's why I asked how high. :doh:

Marlene

I'd use a high quality product as these trucks go thru a lot of washing and you don't want cheap stuff chipping off.

performancev

These are the NFPA requirements for All NEW fire service vehicles. Older equipment does not have to meet all of these requirements. The chevrons are not required on vehicles older than 2009, however a lot of departments are retrofitting older equipment for the added visibility.

NFPA 1901 2009 15.9.3* Reflective Striping.
15.9.3.1* A retroreflective stripe(s) shall be affixed to at least 50 percent of the cab and body length on each side, excluding the pump panel areas, and at least 25 percent of the width of the front of the apparatus.
15.9.3.1.1 The stripe or combination of stripes shall be a minimum of 4 in. (100 mm) in total width.
15.9.3.1.2 The 4 in. (100 mm) wide stripe or combination of stripes shall be permitted to be interrupted by objects (i.e., receptacles, cracks between slats in roll up doors) provided the full stripe is seen as conspicuous when approaching the apparatus. 15.9.3.1.3 A graphic design shall be permitted to replace all or part of the required striping material if the design or combination thereof covers at least the same perimeter length(s) required by 15.9.3.1.
15.9.3.2 At least 50 percent of the rear-facing vertical surfaces, visible from the rear of the apparatus, excluding any pump panel areas not covered by a door, shall be equipped with retroreflective striping in a chevron pattern sloping downward and away from the centerline of the vehicle at an angle of 45 degrees.
15.9.3.2.1 Each stripe in the chevron shall be a single color alternating between red and either yellow, fluorescent yellow, or fluorescent yellow-green.
15.9.3.2.2 Each stripe shall be 6 in. (150 mm) in width.15.9.3.3 All retroreflective materials required by 15.9.3.1 and 15.9.3.2 shall conform to the requirements of ASTM D 4956, Standard Specification for Retroreflective Sheeting for Traffic Control, Section 6.1.1 for Type I Sheeting.
15.9.3.3.1 All retroreflective materials used to satisfy the requirements of 15.9.3.1 that are colors not listed inASTM D 4956, Section 6.1.1, shall have a minimum coefficient of retroreflection of 10 with observation angle of 0.2 degrees and entrance angle of -4 degrees.
15.9.3.3.2 Fluorescent yellow and fluorescent yellow-green retroreflective materials used to meet the requirements of 15.9.3.2 shall conform to the minimum requirements specified for yellow Type I Sheeting in ASTM D 4956, Section 6.1.1.
15.9.3.3.3 Any printed or processed retroreflective film construction used to meet the requirements of 15.9.3.1 and 15.9.3.2 shall conform to the standards required of an integral colored film as specified in ASTM D 4956, Section 6.1.1.

USDOT requirements can be found here scroll down to S5.7

http://www.fmcsa.dot.gov/rules-regulations/administration/fmcsr/fmcsrruletext.aspx?chunkKey=09016334800bb9ed&keyword=striping

Yes i know this is a lengthy post but this will allow others to do a search and find what they need all right here.