• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Need Help wavy printing like a mountain range

kurtz

Please help! First time poster so please forgive if I leave anything out.
I have VersaCamm VS-540i. I'm using ScotchCal film IJ35C-matte. When printing, I'm getting these mountain range, watermark looking stripes. They run horizontal, but not in a straight line, and not an exact repeating pattern. I've tried using different rolls of the same media, using another matte media from a different manufacturer without air release, and tried cleaning the material with Iso Alcohol. I've done all the printer cleanings, including manual. My test print is attached. I've cleaned the encoder strip. I've calibrated it. I've tried using the 3M media profile as well as the generic vinyl profile. I use VersaWorks RIP software.
Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Thanks in advance!
IMG_6556.jpg
IMG_6554.jpg
IMG_6555.jpg

Lindsey

Not A New Member
Hi Kurtz! You mention that you have tried different rolls of IJ35C and another media without comply. Do the "mountain ranges" always appear in the same spots along the 54" width? Have you tried printing a totally different file?

DerbyCitySignGuy

Odd. What's your temperature and humidity in the area you're running the printer?

Does it ONLY happen on that particular roll of IJ35 or did it happen on the other materials? Does it do with different files?

kurtz

Hi Kurtz! You mention that you have tried different rolls of IJ35C and another media without comply. Do the "mountain ranges" always appear in the same spots along the 54" width? Have you tried printing a totally different file?
Thanks for responding! The lines appear at different "levels" in the file. Vertically they sometimes appear in the first inch of the graphic and sometimes not for 4-5 inches in. Horizontally they travel across the entire width of the graphic. I have gotten the same results with multiple files.

kurtz

Odd. What's your temperature and humidity in the area you're running the printer?

Does it ONLY happen on that particular roll of IJ35 or did it happen on the other materials? Does it do with different files?
Humidity is 30% and temp range is 72-76 Degrees F. It has happened with 2 different rolls of IJ35C and with another matte material (older than me). I also tried a gloss material and the "stripes" were just as thick, but in a straighter line. Not so much like a mountain range. Yes, I have had the same result with several different files. The gray stands out the most, as well as the darker colors. On lighter colors, it is still visible, if you look for it.

Lindsey

Not A New Member
Okay Kurtz...sounds like it's not the media and it's not the artwork.

Some things to consider:
- Has this happened before? Last week, last year, etc.?
- Are you using genuine Roland inks?
- Are you printing in uni-directional or bi-directional mode?

Some things to try:

- Use the "menu" control on the printer to change the heat settings for the print & dryer. You could crank the heat up. If that doesn't work...turn the heat way down or off.

- Use the "menu" control on the printer to adjust the vacuum power. Go for 100% to make sure the media is laying as flat as possible. Also...try using the longer media clamps if you have them (take them off before sheet cutting).

- Using the controls on the printer....environment match.

- Last resort...using the "menu" control on the printer....reset to factory default.

It's very strange that the mountain ranges have this drippy water-like shape. Like a stain.

You could also try a different "colour management preset" in versaworks. Under the "Quality Settings" tab, 1st you choose the profile for the "media type", but at the bottom of that window you can choose a colour management preset. I use "Sign&Display" for most jobs. But when I get in a jam, especially with files that have large areas of solid colour, changing the preset can help. Try "Pre-press US" or "Density Control Only".

DerbyCitySignGuy

Humidity is 30% and temp range is 72-76 Degrees F. It has happened with 2 different rolls of IJ35C and with another matte material (older than me). I also tried a gloss material and the "stripes" were just as thick, but in a straighter line. Not so much like a mountain range. Yes, I have had the same result with several different files. The gray stands out the most, as well as the darker colors. On lighter colors, it is still visible, if you look for it.

30% humidity is pretty low, but I believe within acceptable tolerance for a Roland (I want to say it's 25%). I believe the "optimal" range for a Roland is around 76 degrees and 50% humidity. If Lindsey's suggestions don't work, I'd try getting your RH up and see if that helps.

Lindsey

Not A New Member
I doubt this will make a difference, but you could also try lowering or raising the "headheight".

eahicks

Magna Cum Laude - School of Hard Knocks
Looks like plasticizer migration, but if it happens on different brands of material, it may not be. Interesting.