• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Waxing before or after?

BSTCLOTHING

I can respect constructive criticism, i appreciate that. Would 751 be a better choice? Also im not doing a full wrap, just some lettering on the doors and bed.

Sticky Signs

If its only temporary, than yes you can wax. This will make removal much easier. However, it it's suppose to last a while, you should de-wax and de-grease before applying.

Jillbeans

Only use cast vynull on vehicles, especially your own.
I always match the quality of the material to the substrate on which it will be applied.
Love....Jill

Pat Whatley

Ummm....I'm gonna disagree with y'all this time. For us calendared Oracal 651 is lasting a lot longer on vehicles and removing later a lot cleaner than most cast vinyls we use, especially Oracal 751.

If you're changing it a lot I'd wax it then apply 651 and worry in the least about it lasting five years.

bob

It's better to have two hands than one glove.
Should a vehicle be waxed before or after the vinyl is applied? Im using Oracal 651 calendar vinyl.

Just remember that the vinyl sticks to whatever is there. Be it dirt, wax, bugs, or paint. If whatever is there is not part of the paint...figure it out.

Flame

Ummm....I'm gonna disagree with y'all this time. For us calendared Oracal 651 is lasting a lot longer on vehicles and removing later a lot cleaner than most cast vinyls we use, especially Oracal 751.

If you're changing it a lot I'd wax it then apply 651 and worry in the least about it lasting five years.

I kind of have to agree. I have a job that's pushing past 8 years old now with 651, about 250 sq. ft. of black. Used on a construction vehicle, and it's not even peeling. That stuff is friggin durable!

But to answer your question, leave wax alone. It's a PITA to wax over cut lettering, but can be done But if you wax before, your lettering sure won't last very long. Just think about it for a sec...it's a film over your vehicle. Your decal is going to bond to this film, NOT the vehicle, thus making it come off far easier.

SlightlyChilled

I was told by Oracal that the only real difference from 651/751 is the color group 751 has more... As for lasting they are 99.999% the same....

Graphics2u

I was told by Oracal that the only real difference from 651/751 is the color group 751 has more... As for lasting they are 99.999% the same....
651 Calendered 751 Cast

However I agree with Pat and Flame. 651 is very good material and if it's going on fairly flat panels I'd have no trouble using it on vehicles. 751 will no doubt hold up better in the long run though. Depends on the price your customer is willing to pay, offer them a choice.

jc1cell

I usually work everything in 951. My clients have complained about price, but when I explain some of the possible issues with lower grade vinyl they approve.

jc

Sign-Man Signs

Us to Pat. We've been using 651 for years with good results. I have a company van that's had the same 651 on for 4 years now. Trick...Armour-All. It's vinyl! I tell my customers same thing. No complaints.

Pat Whatley

Trick...Armour-All. It's vinyl! I tell my customers same thing.
I do lettering for a large office park. One of the maintenance guys goes around every few months and sprays the tenant signs with Black Magic Foaming Tire Shine.....just sprays it and drives to the next sign. He says it strips off the bird poop and road grime, keeps the letters shiny, and keeps the paint from oxidizing. It also makes relettering the signs a bitch because getting that stuff off the panels takes forever.