• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Waxing before or after?

WrapperX

If you are just applying to mostly flat areas then 651 or any Calendered vinyl will be fine. If you're working with complex curves or going over any obstructions - I would advise a cast. Vinyl has memory - it remembers and wants to return to it's flat shape. The calendered vinyl has better memory - Maybe because it has a calendar - :covereyes: - Cast takes longer to remember which is why it will bond over complex curvers better. Simple vinyl physics.

weaselboogie

Ummm....I'm gonna disagree with y'all this time. For us calendared Oracal 651 is lasting a lot longer on vehicles and removing later a lot cleaner than most cast vinyls we use, especially Oracal 751.

If you're changing it a lot I'd wax it then apply 651 and worry in the least about it lasting five years.

I only use 651 for temp or anything less than 3 yrs and almost never on a vehicle. ONCE I used it on a van. I was told that it would only be on there a year. 5 years later, after much proding from me to get it changed out, we finally changed the vinyl. Total crap. This was peeling around 3 years.

Since then, I've only used 7+ year vinyl and am floored at the people that continually use it for vehicle application. Maybe this was extreme, but it was a black van and some of this went over recesses in the van. This also sat outside everyday in hot and cold weather.

HulkSmash

If you are just applying to mostly flat areas then 651 or any Calendered vinyl will be fine. If you're working with complex curves or going over any obstructions - I would advise a cast. Vinyl has memory - it remembers and wants to return to it's flat shape. The calendered vinyl has better memory - Maybe because it has a calendar - :covereyes: - Cast takes longer to remember which is why it will bond over complex curvers better. Simple vinyl physics.

It might be "Fine" to apply. I never said it isn't "fine"
But those aren't the quality standards my shop holds up on.
We only used intermediate if requested by the customer.

WrapperX

It might be "Fine" to apply. I never said it isn't "fine"
But those aren't the quality standards my shop holds up on.
We only used intermediate if requested by the customer.

And I 100% agree with you - if its on a vehicle it's going to be quality vinyl if I'm putting it on. Only IF and WHEN a customer directly requests it will I offer to put a calendered vinyl on a vehicle.

I was just stating that 651 WILL WORK if it's a flat surface.

Bly

Best get a back sack and crack before the job to keep the pesky hairs out from under the job.

Phil Swanson

Premium Subscriber
I've used 651 on most of my jobs for many years and havn't had ANY issues with it. I lettered mainly heavy equipment and trucks for 15 years and that enviroment is extreamly rough on lettering, everything from pressure washing to dirt,mud,and being baked in the sun.I still use it and if a job lasts 5 years or more I figure the customer got his monies worth and then some. Whare else can you get 5 YEARS of advertising for the price of a lettering job?
I've also herd some arguments on Signs 101 about some jobs lasting TOO long and we're doing ourselves more harm than good, not my thoughts but I have herd it mentioned.

MikePro

haha, waxing before wrapping... sounds like someone's into sum kinky stuff.

o... and no, never, why would any legit vinyl installer even have to ask?!?
vinyl will stick to Toasted Bread better than a waxed car.

BSTCLOTHING

haha, waxing before wrapping... sounds like someone's into sum kinky stuff.

o... and no, never, why would any legit vinyl installer even have to ask?!?
vinyl will stick to Toasted Bread better than a waxed car.

Well i guess the simplest answer is because i didn't know. And rather than go out and wax it and have it fall off i would just go to a SIGN forum and ask. Also i have been a screen printer for a lot longer than i have done signs. So if you decided to expand your business into Screen Printing and you came over to T-shirt forums and ask if you should degrease screens after every time you reclaim, Im going to disregard you as a screen printer.