• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

We are thinking of getting a CNC Router, but This was interesting

We are needing more finishing options outside of a panel saw. We are torn between a Router and I don't even know what you'd call this...flatbed cutter? Personally I'd think the router would be more useful day to day, but I don't know anything about flatbed cutters. We mostly do coro acm pvc the usual stuff but want to increase our productivity and make more shaped signs versus square with the current panel saw setup (and jigsaw)

Thanks!

Attachments

• 111111.PNG
    111111.PNG
    330.5 KB · Views: 856

Pauly

Printrade.com.au
Id only get the flatbed cutter if you only do soft stuff like xboad, foamboard, corrugated plastic and so on.
If there's acrylics, and more rigid stuff. cnc router. make sure the cnc router has the knife attachement also.

ProColorGraphics

I love my Summa F Series! The only thing I wish it could do would be 2.5D routing (ex. made a piece of plastic look like wood grain). Otherwise it has done everything I could need it to do. I'd buy another one without question.

MikePro

I can't say enough good things about MultiCam CNC routers. our 3000 series has been a workhorse for the past 15+ years, with minimal service thanks to weekly maintenance.

HulkSmash

No one has done more research than me, trust me.

What are you looking to do? What are you finishing?

If you're looking at a CNC - MULTICAM APEX 1R. It actually has Knife/CAmera/CNC. 60-80k

If you want a digital finisher with ROUTER capabilities, and GOOD software. - ZUND/ESKO. 150-250k

Superior_Adam

I would go with a combo unit not just a dedicated router or cutter. Get one to do both. We have a Zund and its amazing. I have routed 1" Acrylic no problem. We knife cut all sorts of substrates. There are cheaper options like Colex but you get what you pay for. Esko and Zund are the two best out there. I looked at both and felt the Zund was a better machine overall and easier to operate with less learnign curve.

Christian @ 2CT Media

I would go with a combo unit not just a dedicated router or cutter. Get one to do both. We have a Zund and its amazing. I have routed 1" Acrylic no problem. We knife cut all sorts of substrates. There are cheaper options like Colex but you get what you pay for. Esko and Zund are the two best out there. I looked at both and felt the Zund was a better machine overall and easier to operate with less learnign curve.
I would recommend the exact opposite. Separating your clean and dirty workflow is not only smart but it's more efficient. You can also spend less and get 2 machines great at their intended design not something with sacrifices to be good at all.

Superior_Adam

I would recommend the exact opposite. Separating your clean and dirty workflow is not only smart but it's more efficient. You can also spend less and get 2 machines great at their intended design not something with sacrifices to be good at all.

Not everyone has unlimited floor space to have both units. Yes you have to clean up your area after routing but you should be doing that anyway. I will put my Zund up against any other routing and/or cutter and get at minimum the same results if not better. I looked at all options and went to shops running various equipment. I was not impressed with a lot of the stand alone units. The Zund had the best options from my viewpoint.

DetailsGS

Suggest you research the pro kits at CNC router parts. Because they come as a kit you will be your own mechanic and trouble shooter. They do both with the optional blade kit. And are affordable. They are also modular and expandable. Very capable machines for the buck by all accounts. I ordered one a week ago.

Christian @ 2CT Media

Not everyone has unlimited floor space to have both units. Yes you have to clean up your area after routing but you should be doing that anyway. I will put my Zund up against any other routing and/or cutter and get at minimum the same results if not better. I looked at all options and went to shops running various equipment. I was not impressed with a lot of the stand alone units. The Zund had the best options from my viewpoint.

You guys don't have a lot of demand for routing I'm assuming. You may be able to cut 1" acrylic "no problem" but a dedicated router can cut that 1" Acrylic faster and cleaner than the 3hp of the Zund. As for the separating processes, it's not about cleaning up (we all should keep clean environments) it's about the fact that no matter how much you clean cuttings and shaving get under the belt and clog the vacuum holes.

If everything you are doing is soft or thin a combo unit works (we have one) but if you are like us, your clients will want harder, thicker and more exotic which taxes a multifunction.

WildWestDesigns

Suggest you research the pro kits at CNC router parts. Because they come as a kit you will be your own mechanic and trouble shooter. They do both with the optional blade kit. And are affordable. They are also modular and expandable. Very capable machines for the buck by all accounts. I ordered one a week ago.

This right here can be the downside to using kits. I do like kits (my 3D printer was from a kit) as since they are modular and in sometimes more open/hackable for those that are inclined, but if you are down, it's up to you to get things put to rights.

I wouldn't discount doing a kit, but factor the above in and make sure to "you" it's worth the cost offset. It just all depends.

zspace

Premium Subscriber
We are needing more finishing options outside of a panel saw. We are torn between a Router and I don't even know what you'd call this...flatbed cutter? Personally I'd think the router would be more useful day to day, but I don't know anything about flatbed cutters. We mostly do coro acm pvc the usual stuff but want to increase our productivity and make more shaped signs versus square with the current panel saw setup (and jigsaw)

Thanks!

Most flat bed cutting tables have a light router head option that will work on ACM, PVC, gator board, thin acrylics, etc. The other usual printed sign stuff, foamboard, Coroplast, cardboard, cut best with a reciprocating knife tool. Very thin stocks like styrene work well with fixed knife tools. Most of these tables include print to cut registration like a vinyl cutter.

If you intend to cut heavier acrylics, aluminum and wood, a router table will give you better results, but you will need attachments to cut the soft substrates that won’t router cut.

No matter which path you pick, the operator makes the difference in the end results.

axelmk

It is all a matter of budget and job requirements.
Yes, Zund and Esko are the Ferraris of the cutter/router arena but, most of the times you do not need them to drive at 55 MPH on the freeway.
These are much faster but it all depends how much work you have to cut a day.
They come with a price tag of 160K to 200k depending on features.
There are other machines you can start with which will do a great job to get you started and eventually when the workload is there, you can upgrade. Don’t over pressure your cash flow.
We installed our 5x10 Colex cutter/router with a 3 HP router, and five other cutting and creasing tools for around 95K
Could not be happier. It has done everything we expected and more.
There are other lower entry machines that we discarded but could also be an option like the Summa F series.
If I can help in any way, let me know.