• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Wearing Out Welcome???

CanuckSigns

Take your daughter out for lunch and lay out your feelings (without accusation) for her.
What ever happens after that you will at least know you had the guts to be a responsible loving dad.

:goodpost: This is all you can do really, let your feelings on the matter be known, and share some of your life experiences with her. At the end of the day, she is an adult and is free to make her own decisions, good or bad.

bob

It's better to have two hands than one glove.
Your concern must be solely for your daughter, the guy shouldn't enter into your worries.

Arrange to send your daughter, and some friends of the same sex if possible and absolutely without her intended, somewhere for a week, two weeks, a few days if nothing else. Disneyland, Nantucket, San Francisco, Detroit if nowhere else. Somewhere, anywhere. Get her out of the house, solo, for a time. If possible hide her cell phone during her outing.

Both she and her intended can re-screw their heads on during this time. Whatever it costs, it'll be worth it one way or the other. Think of it as an investment in her future. Both she and the guy have to work out their feelings by themselves, you can't do it for her as much as you'd like to do so.

ova

what in the world is a 21 yr old doing livin.g at home still?

Not too uncommon these days. Would be nice if the economy was doing better and jobs were abundant, but that's not the case.

If she's productive and contributes to the household, I see nothing wrong here.

Dave

ProWraps

could it be because her parents still check her cell phone records? good grief..

cut the cord and let your ADULT daughter make her own decisions and mistakes.

as far as gaining another mouth to feed and whatnot, kick them both out. let them go be adults and hopefully get their own cell phone accounts.

Arlo Kalon 2.0

could it be because her parents still check her cell phone records? good grief...

You should read a whole thread before shooting your mouth off. I'm gonna let you find it, but somewhere in this thread is a post about how we found out about the cell phone records.

Steve C.

If I'm paying the cell phone bill, the records are my business. I don't check my
kids records, but if I take a notion to, I will. If it's privacy you want, get your
own phone.
Unless she is pregnant, boy needs to have an apartment or house for them
to move into after the wedding.
I haven't done a great job of handling my own life so I won't offer any advise,
except to say I think you gut feeling is correct and your daughter is not
ready for this marriage.
Consider counseling for your daughter through Church or Family Services.

J

john1

If I'm paying the cell phone bill, the records are my business. I don't check my
kids records, but if I take a notion to, I will. If it's privacy you want, get your
own phone.
Unless she is pregnant, boy needs to have an apartment or house for them
to move into after the wedding.
I haven't done a great job of handling my own life so I won't offer any advise,
except to say I think you gut feeling is correct and your daughter is not
ready for this marriage.
Consider counseling for your daughter through Church or Family Services.

Why does she need counseling?

Just because someone is not ready for marriage and texting other people behind someones back doesn't mean they need counseling lol

briankb

Premium Subscriber
I think he means counseling as in someone to talk to and discuss everything without fear of being judged.

Just because you see a counselor doesn't mean you are mentally ill or crazy.

Gene@mpls

Your concern must be solely for your daughter, the guy shouldn't enter into your worries.

Arrange to send your daughter, and some friends of the same sex if possible and absolutely without her intended, somewhere for a week, two weeks, a few days if nothing else. Disneyland, Nantucket, San Francisco, Detroit if nowhere else. Somewhere, anywhere. Get her out of the house, solo, for a time. If possible hide her cell phone during her outing.

Both she and her intended can re-screw their heads on during this time. Whatever it costs, it'll be worth it one way or the other. Think of it as an investment in her future. Both she and the guy have to work out their feelings by themselves, you can't do it for her as much as you'd like to do so.

Damn bob- that is very full of thought. I am aware you are smart but I never
thought of you as a (human) relationship coach. Bravo.

TheSnowman

could it be because her parents still check her cell phone records? good grief..
Welllllll, if my kid is still living under MY ROOF, eating MY FOOD, using MY UTILITIES and is on MY CELL PHONE BILL, you'd better believe I'll check whatever the puff records I want to check. Don't let anyone beat you up over this Arlo...sounds like a conversation is in order though. There's a lot of people that are in love with the idea of being in love. I got married at 21, but it was to a girl that I'd known and been best friends with my whole life.

Adult stuff is hard, especially when they have no clue the reality of it. Just have a conversation and support her whatever the decision is.

SD&F

I have three daughters. They are all wonderful young sweet attractive girls. Young people are absolutely different today. I think based on the fact he gave up all his friends(not a good sign), the fact that she won't go over his house(not a good sign), the fact that she is texting another boy only when her finacee leaves(not a good sign).
You need to encourage her to be honest with her fiancee, you can't start a marriage on dishonestly and hope it will last. I'd start there if you can get to that delicately. If she can see that she is hiding something from someone she is getting ready to marry, maybe she will think about why she is doing it.
If she is trying to hide this other boy , then there is a problem. My Girls talk to boys all the time now when they are dating...they are just upfront about it, they have a lot of friends that are guys. You are right that she is a bit confused by something. GOOD LUCK.

JR's

:goodpost:

HulkSmash

Ever since i can remember i had a job. Every summer i worked full time. My parents would never let me sit at home and relax... I wouldn't want to in any case. At the point where i had enough money to pay my own bills -- I volunteered to. Even when they did pay for mine, they wouldn't ever question my dating life, or the girl i choose. Just when i was going to be home. They trusted me to make my own decision especially when it came to girls, and friends. How much trust do you have in your daughter....