• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Weather Threshold for Installs

fresh

When do you cancel installs? In light rain, is that an automatic reschedule of any outdoor work?

We have to install a 4x8 carved sign on a facade, and we'll be using a scissor lift (which we rent). The top of the sign is about 12-13' off the ground, and we're hanging it with a french cleat.

60% Chance of rain tomorrow, with an estimated total accumulation of 1/4" throughout the day. So, light showers. We were supposed to install today, but we held off because of the rain, which has been light and off and on all day.

wwyd?

GaSouthpaw

Profane and profane accessories.
Unless there were torrential downpours, I'd continue as planned for that type of install.
Of course working with electrical components, a dig, or something else that might be hazardous in wet weather might get begged off depending on the situation.

Billct2

Lot of variables in those decisions., but that sounds very doable. I have too many stories about installs in nasty conditions.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
If it wasn't in the air, I'd say go do it, but once your feet are more than 2' off the ground, it's a NO-GO for us. Insurance doesn't cover taking unnecessary chances. Electric company, phone company.... different story. Sign Shop, no can do in the air.

Texas_Signmaker

Very Active Signmaker
Light rain with on-and-off showers is doable. Depends on how booked up you are and how bad your customer wants the sign. I have a full rain outfit on the truck when needed.

If it was a washout with heavy rain most customers will understand. Around here, wind is the biggest concern. Over 15mph and we start tying off ladders, over 25mph and things get dicey... I've done banners and 4x8's in 40mph+ but I had to do some major rigging to accomplish that.

fresh

Thank you to everyone who agree with me.

If this was a ladder install, I'd be more sensitive. But we are using a scissor lift, I'm so annoyed that the sign didn't go up today and won't until next week. grr.

DerbyCitySignGuy

Light rain with on-and-off showers is doable. Depends on how booked up you are and how bad your customer wants the sign. I have a full rain outfit on the truck when needed.

If it was a washout with heavy rain most customers will understand. Around here, wind is the biggest concern. Over 15mph and we start tying off ladders, over 25mph and things get dicey... I've done banners and 4x8's in 40mph+ but I had to do some major rigging to accomplish that.

You're crazy! I won't get up on a ladder if it's totally calm. Haha!

Texas_Signmaker

Very Active Signmaker
40mph was crazy... back a month or so ago we had wind that WOULD NOT let up..day after day.

I had to put up an 8'x8' single side construction-site sign in a treeless, flat open field and had to park my truck to block the wind. The side that it needed to face was opposite the way the wind was blowing and my truck wasn't 10' tall so I had to install some old panels on the back of the sign first (to block the wind) and then put the front panels on...then remove the back panels. Another problem was the wind was blowing under my truck so the concrete and water would barely make it into the hole. Getting the sign out of my truck wasn't too bad, I quickly slid it out of the bed and went straight down flat with it on the ground and pre-installed my fasteners.

JTBoh

I sell signage and signage accessories.
Speaking of wind stories...
Before I got into signs, I did construction.

Worst was putting up 12' x 12" concrete board siding, with a friend.
We were on a 18" wide aluminum scaffold, between two pumpjacks, and the poles were 2" x 4"s butted against each other. (I've never gotten on a pumpjack since)
We were 15' - 25' up on the side of a 45 degree rocky hillside.
It was raining.
We had no PPE.
It was blowing 30, with higher gusts.

We would sway back towards the building, tack a couple screws, then back out until we swayed back. Never dropped a board, didn't fall, and got about 4 done before we decided we didn't want to die.

That was probably the dumbest thing I've done in ANY job.

Of course... there's the wasp story too...

Texas_Signmaker

Very Active Signmaker
Speaking of wind stories...
Before I got into signs, I did construction.

Worst was putting up 12' x 12" concrete board siding, with a friend.
We were on a 18" wide aluminum scaffold, between two pumpjacks, and the poles were 2" x 4"s butted against each other. (I've never gotten on a pumpjack since)
We were 15' - 25' up on the side of a 45 degree rocky hillside.
It was raining.
We had no PPE.
It was blowing 30, with higher gusts.

We would sway back towards the building, tack a couple screws, then back out until we swayed back. Never dropped a board, didn't fall, and got about 4 done before we decided we didn't want to die.

That was probably the dumbest thing I've done in ANY job.

Of course... there's the wasp story too...

I will never get on scaffolding!

JTBoh

I sell signage and signage accessories.
The wasp story is almost as bad.

Clearing soffit on another hill house... this time I was lucky enough to have a 30' extension ladder, supported by, on one side, (1) cinder block, (1) 2" x 4", and (1) shady-looking brick.

Knock off the very first one on the corner and lo and behold there is a 8" wasp nest under the soffit.

I immediately climb back down, tell the boss that there is a wasp nest and I need some Hot Shot.

He comes back with a 5' range can of raid (it was on sale!)

So back up the ladder I go. Emptied the entire can, and ate some petrochemicals. But... I won, and didn't get stung, or fall.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Pretty good one with the wasps.

I have one from some years ago, but it wasn't on a job site. I was trimming the shrubs at my home and I have a lotta shrubs around my home and very thick. Anyway, I had the hedge trimmer going which can cut up to 1.5" branches or twigs. This was just regular hedges and I kept thinking.... man is this thing throwing the sh!t around. Kept hitting me in the face and cheeks, neck and all over. Then, I saw them. I had cut right through a hornets nest that must've been 18" in diameter. There were 100s of hornets flying around me. I ended up with about 40 bites/stings. Dowsed that thing with gasoline and lit it. Like I said, the shrubs are thick and this was about 15" in from the edge, but near the top, so it could take a little fire. Those guys never came back. Continued on with the next set of shrubs and finished that one the next day.

Had lotsa run ins with hornets on my property.