Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Web Hosting Providers

Discussion in 'General Chit-Chat' started by tomence, Feb 7, 2014.

1. tomence

tomence Very Active Member

Feb 10, 2009
    IL
    I need a good hosting provider, who do you use and recommend?

Tags:
  2. Christian @ 2CT Media

Christian @ 2CT Media Major Contributor

Jun 15, 2009
    Mesa, Arizona
    We use fatcow... they are reasonable and offer a lot of options. We had godaddy in the past and weren't thrilled with them.

3. peavey123

peavey123 Active Member

Jul 25, 2007
    Ontario Canada
    I've been using Hostgator. I have multiple websites hosted with them for $9/month.

4. tomence

Feb 10, 2009
    IL
  5. Techman

Techman Major Contributor

Jun 24, 2003
    michigan
    most of those hosters are resellers of some bigger names.
    Many of those hosters are reselling access under names such as godaddy network solutions etc..
    Do some research and find out which ones are resellers and which are actual web hosters.
    Google around discover that you also can be a reseller of hosting. you can get access to dozens of IP addresses for just a couple of dollars each or less.

It is not difficult.

for example.. Fred could open his own reselling of domain hosting under the signs101 banner.

6. MrTopgun21

MrTopgun21 Member

Feb 23, 2013
    Midland, MI
    We have used HostGator for 4 years, and have been pleased overall. No host is 100% perfect.
    Stay AWAY from Ipower web and Ready Hosting!!!! Horrible!!!

7. HDvinyl

HDvinyl Trump 2020

Nov 20, 2008
    halfway house.
    You can host unlimited websites, have 1500 email accounts, and 1500 online storage accounts(2GB each) for $8.99/month (currently only 4.99/month for first 12 months) with 1and1.com.

8. rdmdarr

rdmdarr Member

Feb 7, 2012
    Lewisville, TX
    here I thought I was the only one who used Fatcow... :rock-n-roll:

9. Christian @ 2CT Media

Christian @ 2CT Media Major Contributor

Jun 15, 2009
    Mesa, Arizona
    We have been referring people to them a lot... we really like their services

10. tomence

Feb 10, 2009
    IL
    Is it easy to buy a domain from one place and transfer to another

11. CreatedDesigns

CreatedDesigns Member

May 26, 2013
    Lone Rock, WI
    I use Powweb

12. DKgrafix

DKgrafix Very Active Member

http://www.webhostinghub.com/

Love those guys. Used to have iPower and FatCow (Same company different domains, they have about 30 of them). TERRIBLE, when something goes wrong it was always my fault :) Never theirs
    Also, did not like the GoDaddy, one of my customers did not have great experience with them.

HostGator is pretty good too.

13. WCSign

WCSign Member

Mar 12, 2012
    Bay Area
    Host Gator is good and has good customer service.

1and1 is rediculous.. They cant even upgrade the quota on a database, they have caused me MAJOR issues in the past.

but for average sites for small businesses, godaddy, network solutions and voxdomains have all been equally pleasant experiences. Just avoid all the upselling.

14. HDvinyl

HDvinyl Trump 2020

Nov 20, 2008
    halfway house.
    Yes.
    You need to be able to "unlock" the domain and have access to the "authorization code".

You will need to supply your new host with the "authorization code".

15. synergy_jim

synergy_jim Very Active Member

we have a shared server through 1and1.com

no problems here

16. njshorts

njshorts Active Member

Mar 15, 2011
    Meadville, PA
    Read this first:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Endurance_International_Group and http://www.thewhir.com/web-hosting-...g-eig-brands-hit-massive-new-years-eve-outage (as well as others)

Do the smart thing- ask lots of questions and find out if you're buying from a faceless conglomerate, reseller or other equally crappy option. A quality provider has management involved in day-to-day operations and owns/operates their own equipment.

EDIT- also, keep in mind... "unlimited" means "oversold" since "unlimited" doesn't exist. Just like in most industries, you get what you pay for (sometimes less!).

17. Doc Savage

Doc Savage Member

Feb 4, 2012
    Delta, Ohio
    I have been using Host Gator for about 4-5 years for an unrelated personal hobby website. I like them so much I placed my unrelated business e-commerce website with them about 2 years ago.

18. SightLine

SightLine Very Active Member

We use Site5. Aside from that, a couple asked about ease of transferring a domain between hosts. I've always recommended keeping your registrar separate from your hosting. Then changing hosting is just a quick and easy DNS change.

19. binki

binki Premium Subscriber

Jul 23, 2007
    The PRC
    We were using 1 and 1 and we kept getting malware injections and finally they cut off our website. It was down for a week. We switched to GoDaddy. More expensive but more reliable. Plus, customer service is in the USA.