• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Wedding seating chart

Pideas

I've been getting some requests for wedding seating charts with cut vinyl lettering on clear acrylic. I've never done this type of job before. Does anyone do this and how time consuming is it? What is the best white vinyl to use for this type of job?

I have a Summa and would use that for the cutting. Just not sure if any vinyl would work or if there's an easy weeding type vinyl that might work better for this type of signage.

Here's an example of this type of signage: https://www.jennandjulesdesign.com/listing/536533881/laser-cut-etched-acrylic-seating

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Why would someone want it made of cheap-a$$ gold vinyl or whatnot ?? Those are etched and become a kinda keepsake of the day. Ya either need to etch them or some kinda embossed ink from a flatbed.

White Haus

Not a Newbie
Yeah like Charlie said, we'd print white ink on clear acrylic on our flatbed. I wouldn't touch that with cut vinyl! (You may have more patience than me though)

Andy D

I agree with everyone else, no way I would cut and weed that...But if I had to, I would:
1. place cut lines between all of the lines of text
2 pick/weed out the center of the letters only, leaving the vinyl around the letters.
3. apply high tack transfer tape tape and mount the vinyl to the acrylic.
4. weed the vinyl around the lettering from the substrate. (otherwise you will lose half of that fine script.)
5. charge for 4-5 hours of weeding

I don't weed any small copy anymore but I think Oracal 651 used to be my go-to for cut vinyl, but double check that.

Pideas

Yeah like Charlie said, we'd print white ink on clear acrylic on our flatbed. I wouldn't touch that with cut vinyl! (You may have more patience than me though)

Ok, i agree. I really don't want to touch this type of job at all if it was a cutting/weeding type job. I can't print white or have a flatbed so this might not be the type of job for me. I'm really not looking to spend 4-5 hrs on weeding.

2B

I agree with everyone else, no way I would cut and weed that...But if I had to, I would:
1. place cut lines between all of the lines of text
2 pick/weed out the center of the letters only, leaving the vinyl around the letters.
3. apply high tack transfer tape tape and mount the vinyl to the acrylic.
4. weed the vinyl around the lettering from the substrate. (otherwise you will lose half of that fine script.)
5. charge for 4-5 hours of weeding

I don't weed any small copy anymore but I think Oracal 651 used to be my go-to for cut vinyl, but double check that.

Exactly what I would do.
and yes, 651 for us is easy to weed

the easier (cheaper) option is to find a local laser etcher big enough or a flatbed.
the time needed for weeding and installing is NOT worth the cost, even the 415 they have there

2B

Ok, i agree. I really don't want to touch this type of job at all if it was a cutting/weeding type job. I can't print white or have a flatbed so this might not be the type of job for me. I'm really not looking to spend 4-5 hrs on weeding.

There are plenty of MM here that offer flatbed services and can ship

Dan360

I've done one with white vinyl on a mirror, had to thicken all the text a bit before cutting but wasn't bad, took about 3 hours start to finish. We charged for the time but I would charge double for the next one.

bannertime

We've done similar jobs like this out of 651, Briteline, Avery A6, etc, but not in the past decade. I think 4 hours is a good estimate for production. Going through it in my head, I feel like 2-3 hours is realistic, so add another hour or two for recutting. Our shop rate is $110 an hour so, 4 hours would be $440. Or we'd call up Signworld America and have them print or laser cut it.

jc_0125

Creative Director
ive printed a seating chart on clear before and applied to a mirror. Just tried to get as light of a gray as I could for the text. Kinda worked lol

SignMeUpGraphics

Super Active Member
We make multiple seating charts a week for one of our clients.
All charts are UV printed on a flatbed in ~5 minutes with white ink.
There is NO way we would cut and weed hundreds of letters. It's not worth anyone's time.
Good thing is, we recycle the glass/mirror each week by scraping off the last job and printing the next.
Our client offers either chart for hire which uses glass, or chart for keeps which is done on acrylic.
Easy money for everyone if you have the right tools.

CL Visual

We do a ton of these. We use a Mimaki UV printer and print white on Lintec scratch resistant 2 mil optically clear. By far the easiest way. Especially since there are a lot of last minute edits with these typically.

burgmurk

i would throw this at my friendly neighbourhood laser cutting outlet, then put a little markup on top (including a "bad taste tax", that thing is uuuugly).
The price would be a lot less than the labour required to weed that nonsense to.

MikePatterson

Head bathroom cleaner.
On a serious note. I wouldnt touch that job without a way to print it. They dont have enough money for me to stand at a table and weed that mess. Im not sure I would want to do it anyway. You'll be the a-hole because aunt suzy's name got misspelled. F that!