• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Wednesday Coro-Plane update. She's In!!

SignManiac

We now have the power plant with a custom built 48" prop. A shiny new $3k engine for the plane. Getting down to the wire. If all goes well we will fly her on July 4th with video of course.

Attachments

• CIMG3048.JPG
    CIMG3048.JPG
    61.4 KB · Views: 158
  • CIMG3050.JPG
    CIMG3050.JPG
    55 KB · Views: 126
  • CIMG3051.JPG
    CIMG3051.JPG
    59.4 KB · Views: 122
  • CIMG3052.JPG
    CIMG3052.JPG
    53.7 KB · Views: 125
Last edited:

letterman7

Hmmm... a one cylinder with reduction drive... and a 48" prop. While I really enjoy reading about this build, methinks that motor and prop aren't going to make you go anywhere. Even a paraglider uses a 5 to 6' prop...that 4' just isn't going to produce the thrust needed to overcome the weight of the aircraft. Really... remote control that thing before one of you gets hurt.

SignManiac

The engine manufacturer made the recommendation after fully understanding the weight and build specs of this plane. Way too many naysayers with no sense of adventure. You're missing out on the whole purpose of life if you live in fear of everything. I'm just glad ive spent my incredible life ignoring everyones advice!!

If it won't get off the ground, then no harm done. If it does then, :))))

GAC05

Quit buggin' me
That powerplant looks really nice.
How much does it weigh?
What is it impact rated at?
If it does turn out to be too small you could build a coro steam catapult like the old flat tops.....
Can't wait for launch day.

wayne k
guam usa

SignManiac

Power plant weighs 39 lbs. And puts out 200 lbs of thrust. The plane weighs a little under 200 lbs. And has the same lift ratio as a 2000 lb Cessna 150. It's 1/10 th the weight. So far in theory, it should get off the ground. We're not looking to set any altitude records.. If it lifts off the ground and flies 100' six feet off the ground, then it is a success. Only trying to prove a plane built entirely from coroplast, can in fact fly.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
I'd figure in a little more weight onto the pilot for coil springs built into the bottom of his boots. I highly doubt you'll need a parachute, but in case he wants to jump he can bounce home....................

Continued good luck and success !!

GAC05

Quit buggin' me
Power plant weighs 39 lbs. And puts out 200 lbs of thrust. The plane weighs a little under 200 lbs. And has the same lift ratio as a 2000 lb Cessna 150. It's 1/10 th the weight. So far in theory, it should get off the ground. We're not looking to set any altitude records.. If it lifts off the ground and flies 100' six feet off the ground, then it is a success. Only trying to prove a plane built entirely from coroplast, can in fact fly.

If you launch it off a 100' tall building you can claim 100' of flight distance along with 6' of ground penetration (at least for the non coro parts).

wayne k
guam usa

kidding aside I am rooting for a short, safe, real off the ground flight.

whk

charlie3238

Wow, That`s awesome I`ll be watching! People told the Wright brothers they where crazy and look what they accomplished....Good luck!

SignManiac

Thank you GAC05, that's all I'm looking to accomplish. Just trying to have a little fun to break up the day to day stress of life!

letterman7

I've got a sense of adventure, but not to the point where it's gonna cause me bodily injury. 200lb/trust in a 200 pound airplane with a 180 pound pilot... it ain't gettin' off the ground. Period. It may roll, that's about it. Truly, I do appreciate the work and workmanship behind the project - all I'm saying is radio control it - you can still see if it flies without anyone risking their neck.

ProWraps

it might fly. that motor is spec'ed on ppgs with trikes. hell the blackhawk setup probably weighs that much. and its an unclean airfoil with major drag.

i would lighten up the pilot as much as i could though.

also, those wheels you got on there. they aint gonna work. put some real wheels on it as you will need them to work the best they cant to get you up to take off speed.

Flubber

wouldnt you need some kind of heat protectant film so the coro doesnt melt from the heat from the exhaust